octavia overheating help!

hi all,

need some advice i have a octavia diesel 1.9 110bhp and this is whats happening so far

it kept overheating so far i have had replaced the cam belt, water pump, thermostate, glow plugs, water tank cap, radiator, and guess what its still overheating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! canty afford much more so please any suggestions would be grateful

It could be the coolant temperature sensor, which is making the gauge read higher than it should.

What year is the octavia?

its an 03

the engine is boiling and you could actually see the water in the tank hissing its that hot

ahhh. Maybe it's not a sensor then :doh:

Was gonna suggest that the rad might be blocked, but I see you've replaced that too.

Does that car driver OK? Any white smoke etc coming from the zorst?

Are the rad hoses OK? Not twisted or collapsed or anything?

Does it have antifreeze in it or just water?

Could be cylinder head gasket or even a cracked block or head, have a pressure test carried out. Also check for build up of white sludge in valve cover.

ahhh. Maybe it's not a sensor then :doh:

Was gonna suggest that the rad might be blocked, but I see you've replaced that too.

Does that car driver OK? Any white smoke etc coming from the zorst?

Are the rad hoses OK? Not twisted or collapsed or anything?

Does it have antifreeze in it or just water?

sometimes it seems like there no power then it comes back to life but that happens periodically

otherwise it drives ok

no white smoke that im aware of

it has water in today as all the antifreeze water had gone for the second time today

will certainly mention about the rad pipes when i go to the garage in the morn

• 2 weeks later...

hi all,

need some advice i have a octavia diesel 1.9 110bhp and this is whats happening so far

it kept overheating so far i have had replaced the cam belt, water pump, thermostate, glow plugs, water tank cap, radiator, and guess what its still overheating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! canty afford much more so please any suggestions would be grateful

hi my friend, just to tell you that i have axactly the same prob. and i changed quite everything, the only thing that i need ti change is the radiator, hope it will fix the prob., then at the same time, somethimes it lose pwer but really looses power, then i stop the engine and restart it and it will be ok unlike the tempreture, i don t know what to do. now i m trying the rad. maybe it works.

The water/coolant is going somewhere.

Seems like you don't have any obvious leaks.

If you haven't got mayo oil, & you haven't got clouds of white smoke coming out of the exhaust then it's unlikely to be a blown headgasket.

Could be as simple as an air lock in your cooling system. Once the temp gauge reads 90 the bottom hose should be hot as the thermostat is open then, if it's cold you have an air lock. You've replaced the rad & the thermostat which would have let air into the system, & it can be quite difficult to get all the air out. It's essential that you have the heater on full hot when you refill the system after draining. Common symptom of an air lock after draining is the A/C blowing warm when it's set to cold.

When you say it has used 2 tanks of water today,do you mean the header tank has drained twice?

BTW This is my 1st post on the forum, but I've owned 4 VAG engined 1.8 T petrol cars, 2 Bora TDI Sports, & not including my recently purchased Octy VRS so I've experienced most of the issues associated with these cars & not a novice.