Painting chrome plastic black?

Hello all,

Been looking for answers but can't seem to find any so sorry if this has been covered before:

I'm wanting to paint the front chrome grill surround on my Octavia to black so it matches the rest of the car, how should i do it? I'm thinking, sand, prime, paint, seal but what products should I use if this is the correct procedure.

Thanks for reading.

ive recently sprayed the chrome grill on my fabia and i used black plastidip from ebay.It covers it in a rubbery texture paint and has so far been excellent.Ive done roughly 3000 miles since doing it and its still mint without any chips etc.

Oh you also dont need to prep the surface either.

think matts surgestion the best,

i did it the way you suggested at the top on my a4 on the audi rings and the stone chipped 2 death ended up replacing the badge

the rubber technique sounds good

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to try the plastic paint, done some research on it and it sounds pretty good stuff, i will let you know how i get on.

Cheers

When I've heard of people doing this, the first stage is usually to soak the chrome badge/trim in bleach to get most of the chrome off.

Then sand and prep the under surface before priming.

I sanded the chrome to provide a key and then primed it with an acid etch primer, followed by normal primer and satin black top coat.

I have one chip on it now, but it has only gone to the primer, not down to the chrome layer, so the etch primer seems to have done its job.

• 7 years later...