drilled and groved or not? 312mm brakes

noticed on ebay that there are a load of 312mm discs available. some are drilled and grooved and some arnt. if im right the majority of people on here go for the not drilled and groved ones? that right? if so how come?

cheers mate. just need to find out the reasons most go for the plain ones first but thanks anyway

The consensus I've read elsewhere is that drilled discs can cause the edges of pads to chip, crack and eventually fail (or at least wear down a lot quicker) without being a decent enouch improvement in braking performance to justify them.

That said, I'm sure the right set of pads / drilled discs wouldn't have this problem.

Grooved discs seem more popular and seem more pad friendly, but haven't heard many rave reviews to suggest they increase braking performance much.

Are you considering them for track use?

no not track use. just upgrading my standard set up as my brakes at the mo are awfull. my first furby i had which was an 54 reg the brakes where 1000 times better then my new 55 reg ones.

I have recently changed to a 312 octavia setup on my FAB VRS and stuck with standard discs and pads.

I was amazed at the difference in stopping just by changing the size of disc by just 24mm in diameter. but stopping is what we need if increasing power output.

I read through this site and found that there were lots of reasons for and against all the different types of disc and pads. it ended up being a personal choice to stick with the solid standard discs.

yes there are good sets of discs in all shapes and sizes on the market at good prices, however the biggest reading I did find it that obviously the pads wear quicker with grooved as they are designed to deglaze the pad. No point getting pads with more than 10 grooves as you will have no surface for the pads to bite on.

Drilled do not really disepate the heat any quicker than solid, just the gases that may build up under very heavy breaking.

Hey it all boils down to personal preference at the end of the day and also depends if you are racing the car all the time and need to have optimal braking without boiling the fluid.

standard disc's and pads are great on my (under 190bhp) VRS.

enjoy

Grooved or drilled discs are not necessary on road cars, whatever power you have and tend to wear the pads out quickly, they are also noisier. A set of OE Pagid discs and Pads are completely adequate for 312's. The other important part of the braking system being the brake fluid, you need something like the best Dot4, Castrol Response or SRF, ATE racing blue. or Dot5.1, Motul, Halfords, Carbon Lorraine.

+1 for sticking with OEM-equivalent. I got a good price on ATE discs and pads, and am very happy with them. Plus, if you go for drilled and/or grooved discs on the cheap, they can crack which is never a good thing!

The site below is a good read, if you want to know more about the facts and myths surrounding braking:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/tech_white_papers.shtml

HTH

I loved the 312's om my vRS. Soo much better than standard brakes.

Sold the car now, and ive still got 2 sets of Mintex pads to sell.

Anyone know what there worth?

Wanted to sell both sets to the same person really. Save on postage hassle.

Dave