Bloody Brakes!

It's driving me mad!

When the rear brakes are warm, I get noises like a whole army of dying mice coming from the rear brakes. And not just reversing like everyone else, it's when I'm going forward stuck in traffic!

The pads are fine, discs are fine, and it's definately not the front brakes as they were only changed last month... Plus, it was doing it before the front change over.

Grrr!!!

At least I'll get a few days of peace now though, the car's off to the bodyshop for a new front bumper after the towing man cracked the last one...

how old are your rear discs?

once they get rust on the outside edge where the pad doesn't touch they can get noisy because once the disc get hot, like any metal, it expands.

One sympton of this is this is the pad starts to contact the rusty bit which give of a really harsh grinding noise ( i had this on mine)

Another is the disc rubs on the small metal shim where the pad sits.

replace the rear discs + clean up the pads (easy DIY job ) unless they're fairly new in which case I have no idea what's causing your noise, sorry.

It's driving me mad!

When the rear brakes are warm, I get noises like a whole army of dying mice coming from the rear brakes. And not just reversing like everyone else, it's when I'm going forward stuck in traffic!

The pads are fine, discs are fine, and it's definately not the front brakes as they were only changed last month... Plus, it was doing it before the front change over.

Grrr!!!

At least I'll get a few days of peace now though, the car's off to the bodyshop for a new front bumper after the towing man cracked the last one...

If your rear disks have rusty tips on them, try sanding/filing them off. Also, are you sure they're within spec, not worn out?

After you have done all that, fit some return springs on the handbrake cables. Will stop the pads sticking to the discs in cold weather.

After you have done all that, fit some return springs on the handbrake cables. Will stop the pads sticking to the discs in cold weather.

Could anyone put a link on here pointing to a link showing how to fit the return springs at the rear?

Whats the general consensus on the best springs to use for this?

Lewwy

Could anyone put a link on here pointing to a link showing how to fit the return springs at the rear?

Whats the general consensus on the best springs to use for this?

Lewwy

I think that you should try the search function, personally I prefer the Sharan return springs do the job 100% without making the lever action too heavy - having tried the other ones (forgotten which) - all this info will be found in the correct posting if you use search.

It's driving me mad!

Grrr!!!

Take them to bits and clean them up and apply a spot of copperslip at the contact points - it helps to have the proper pads with anti-squeal material fitted - oh, and as said already, while you are at it fit external return springs (re-zero the pistons while you have the brakes in bits - and remember to get them to reset correctly).

I had same problem, took rear discs off, ground edge of disc off, replaced using copper-based grease where appropiate.

Changing discs will cure problem, till them too gets outside edges rusty.

Trouble is, so very little braking takes place on the rear, problem is a common trait.emoticon-0124-worried.gif

Thread to this effect if you wish to do a search, on this site.