Saw this in TPS, thought it may amuse some of you

Basically saying why you shouldnt buy Vauxhall long life oil :D, Funny thing is the "VW" oil I bought says it can be used in most other european cars, go figure.

31072010.jpg

Well all I can say to that, is it's obviously got Quantum worried, they can print what they like, I always use the GM stuff, and it's never let a turbo go, or made a cam noisy yet, how many purist 500 speccers can say that of their cars emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

Had this issue elsewhere today as well, thats why I thought this might be planted here for me to find emoticon-0114-dull.gif another VX part you should use in your VAG car is a H7 bulb, VX ones last a lot longer than anything else I've used.

I guess the boffs at VAG are upset VX nicked their man a few years ago, and he's designed the rather attractive Insignia, and now the new Astra, compare the Insignia with the ageing Passat and it's no suprise why the Passat is having a facelift early next year, and I still don't think it's going to be enough tbh, the VW bubble is bursting, they've conned so many ppl, and made engines that drink oil, along with the shoddy components like injectors,oil pump drives etc, and although I have a Passat, I wish I didn't, it's no Skoda, and the Insignia would've been 1st choice if it had more room in the back, so it looks like my first Jap will arrive early next year in the form of an Avensis, and it will also be introduced to GM 5/30 oil, because after at least ten years of using it, I've never had any mechanical failures with it, nor failed an mot for smoke.

And why have they picked out GM, why not use one of the "unsuitable" Mobil oils. emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

Edited by Supurbia

Dont know why they are pickig on GM, it was you in particular I thought might like that one :p

Been looking at the Insignias recentley my self for the missus, can get pretty decent deals on finance at the moment for one.

Dont know why they are pickig on GM, it was you in particular I thought might like that one emoticon-0110-tongueout.gif

Been looking at the Insignias recentley my self for the missus, can get pretty decent deals on finance at the moment for one.

I think they've heard of my constant sponsoring of the GM oil on VAG forums myself Ian emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

If you go for an Insignia, get an SRI or SE spec one, Elite if you can go that far, and make sure it's a 160 CDTi, anything below these specs is going to be unrewarding imo.emoticon-0110-tongueout.gif

Strange about the bulbs as both firms tend to use Philips, but the higher up the light output models, the lower the service life - I have HID but tend to use Philips "brightest" for VW H1 and H7 applications.

I am a B5 Passat owner from new - but I can't see me buying the current one - more likely I'll move to a used A6. Yes the new Avensis does now look like a nice car. Insignia, for me it does not look quite right - a bit small in the rear (I had a VX Cav GSI 2000 16V 4X4 for 10 years - so I do like a proper VX!) - Insignia in 4X4 guise does scare me MPG wise though!

I have also used VX's oil while the Cav GSI 4X4 was under warranty, but changed to Magnatec as I chose to believe the benefits of having "clinging on" bits of oil to reduce cold start wear!

Strange about the bulbs as both firms tend to use Philips, but the higher up the light output models, the lower the service life - I have HID but tend to use Philips "brightest" for VW H1 and H7 applications.

I am a B5 Passat owner from new - but I can't see me buying the current one - more likely I'll move to a used A6. Yes the new Avensis does now look like a nice car. Insignia, for me it does not look quite right - a bit small in the rear (I had a VX Cav GSI 2000 16V 4X4 for 10 years - so I do like a proper VX!) - Insignia in 4X4 guise does scare me MPG wise though!

I have also used VX's oil while the Cav GSI 4X4 was under warranty, but changed to Magnatec as I chose to believe the benefits of having "clinging on" bits of oil to reduce cold start wear!

Yeah, don't, and if you do, make sure it's a CR one, 58 onwards, it's nothing like the B5's, nothing at all, it's like someone shaved a few tenths of an inch off everything.

Good tackle and good value , it even meets VAG spec 505.01, You could change it twice a year at that price.

Edited by roman.w

No good the the 506.1 oiled cars and those that have a DPF ;)

Yes though I agree that since it's 505.1 it's fine for that.

Saying that £20 is hardly cheap for 5L of the 505.1 oils.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

No good the the 506.1 oiled cars and those that have a DPF emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Yes though I agree that since it's 505.1 it's fine for that.

Saying that £20 is hardly cheap for 5L of the 505.1 oils.

pisht, eer lemme let you in on something, but you must promise not to tell anyone else, in 2005 505.1 was the top spec oil for VW's, so that means all 1.9 and 2.0 PD's can run on it, 507 is a low ash version of 505.1 to help reduce the risk of a blocked DPF, and guess what, Vauxhall fit cars with DPF's emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Seriously though, the oil never used to be 505.1 approved, it was simply GM Super Synthetic 5/30 Longlife, now it called fuel economy longlife, same tub, same label, same specs as before, just the BMW and VW bit added to it, also Mobil have renamed their oil, hence Tesco clearing out all the old stuff at £16 for 5L of 0/40 and replacing it with stuff at £45 for 5L 0/40, all this constant new spec and numbers is just justification to increase the price, as I said 505.1 was the LL oil for VAG cars 5 years ago, in the 5 years of the 2.0 PD there isn't any reports of crank fail, cam fail, piston slap, just injectors and an oil pump that would break regardless of whatever oil you had in it, so with this (and there isn't a prize btw) why would VAG change a spec of oil and say the one that has served perfectly well in an engine for 5 years now as LL oil, isn't good enough, other than to make you buy 507 out of fear, DPF cars excluded because of the low ash requirement.

Edited by Supurbia

It is pretty stupid like TBH. Last 5 litre tub of 505.1 spec oil I bought at TPS was 16 quid for the Quantum stuff. The stuff I bought before that was £9! for 505.1 spec Quantum oil. I am sold this because im on "fixed" servicing though (Need the "good" stuff for long life). Its all crap, even the hand book that came with my supurb cant make up its mind what spec oil I should put in the 2.5TDi.

Saying that im looking in TPS price guide book which came into effect 2nd August and the 505.1 spec oil is £31.28 for 5 litres! Hope they are not starting to take the mick as well for prices or im off to VX as well :D 506.1 and 507.1 are exactly the same price for 5 litres.

The GM oil quoted has the VW spec 505.01 on the label . This is the only VW spec on the label. VW spec 505.01 is not a longlife oil spec ! It is a spec that was released for the PD engines on fixed service intervals ( 10,000 miles / 12 months).

To qualify for longlife use on VW PD diesels oils must meet spec 506.01 or the later 507 specified for CR engines. This GM oil obviously doesn't or it would have these specs on the label. So this GM oil does not meet VW longlife oil specs ! So the VW (?) advert is correct !

Edited by vwcabriolet1971

The GM oil quoted has the VW spec 505.01 on the label . This is the only VW spec on the label. VW spec 505.01 is not a longlife oil spec ! It is a spec that was released for the PD engines on fixed service intervals ( 10,000 miles / 12 months).

To qualify for longlife use on VW PD diesels oils must meet spec 506.01 or the later 507 specified for CR engines. This GM oil obviously doesn't or it would have these specs on the label. So this GM oil does not meet VW longlife oil specs ! So the VW (?) advert is correct !

I could be wrong, but back in 2005/6 505.01 was the flagship oil for VAG, and they were selling cars on varible servicing scedules at the time, (I don't have time to dig through the info fully) however, you'll probably find when VAG release 508 spec oil, the GM one will aquire the 506 approval, and if the difference between 506 and 507 is purely ash content the GM 5/30 will cope with it admirably, as I don't know any Vauxhall DPF owners who are having the mare VAG ones are right now with the DPF blocking up, or the need for injected fluids to assist the process, or state in their brochures this car isn't suitable on Islands or short town trips, and tbh, my Skoda was ten times cleaner out the back than the Passat is, so until I get the oil dropped out of it, and replenished with the GM stuff, I won't be able to compare like for like for consumption and emissions, but I will post the results as soon as possible.

If you want some GM stuff call me up here or on VWAF, I ain't far from you, so as long as you ante up first I will get it for you, probably be £21-£25 for 5L. emoticon-0106-crying.gif

Edited by Supurbia

I could be wrong, but back in 2005/6 505.01 was the flagship oil for VAG, and they were selling cars on varible servicing scedules at the time, (I don't have time to dig through the info fully) however, you'll probably find when VAG release 508 spec oil, the GM one will aquire the 506 approval, and if the difference between 506 and 507 is purely ash content the GM 5/30 will cope with it admirably, as I don't know any Vauxhall DPF owners who are having the mare VAG ones are right now with the DPF blocking up, or the need for injected fluids to assist the process, or state in their brochures this car isn't suitable on Islands or short town trips, and tbh, my Skoda was ten times cleaner out the back than the Passat is, so until I get the oil dropped out of it, and replenished with the GM stuff, I won't be able to compare like for like for consumption and emissions, but I will post the results as soon as possible.

If you want some GM stuff call me up here or on VWAF, I ain't far from you, so as long as you ante up first I will get it for you, probably be £21-£25 for 5L. emoticon-0106-crying.gif

To be fair mate I was pulling your chain, although I think 5L for £20 isn't that cheap.

What I will say is that 505.1 was I thought only longlife oil for the non PD TDI's (TDI 90 and 110).

For the PD engines you've been on 505.1 for fixed servicing and 506.1 for variable.

The DPF needing a low ash oil is the VW507 reasoning, and while you point out the VX have a DPF too, you don't mention if they burn as much of the oil as the VAG engines do.

The DPF fluid injection was only on the MK I superb, and that was because the DPF was too far back from the engine, so ran too cool to regenerate without the additive.

I'm not saying the GM oil won't be fine for anything on variable servicing, just that with the cost of the DPF, I'd probably be looking at what oil I was putting in more carefully as a less than £100 saving over 10 services could cost much more.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

TBH Cheeze, I wouldn't run 507 to the limit, my top mile change is 12k, I think that's long enough for any oil.

The VX's aren't bad on oil, the last 2.0 DTi I had used to need 0.5L every 8k, same as the 1.9 TDi Superb.

Have they sorted the dpf heat issues now, I knew the additive was due to the filter location.

I agree about 507 in a CR, given the blocking up issues, a low ash oil will be essential.

"as I said 505.1 was the LL oil for VAG cars 5 years ago,"

Not so ! 506.0 was the longlife spec for pre PD engines. 505.01 was never specified for longlife use. Variable service interval was introduced on model year 2001 cars.So for the small number of non PD engines spec 506 was specified.

After the introduction of the PD engines model year 2002 the oil specs were revised to 505.01 and 506.01 for fixed / variable interval respectively.

Edited by vwcabriolet1971

"as I said 505.1 was the LL oil for VAG cars 5 years ago,"

Not so ! 506.0 was the longlife spec for pre PD engines. 505.01 was never specified for longlife use. Variable service interval was introduced on model year 2001 cars.So for the small number of non PD engines spec 506 was specified.

After the introduction of the PD engines model year 2002 the oil specs were revised to 505.01 and 506.01 for fixed / variable interval respectively.

Fair dues, I'll accept that.

I can get you the 505.01 GM one for £22 per 5L, you'll have a 7 mile journey to collect, let me know if you want some, either way NP.

Edited by Supurbia

2.5 Tdi has one advantage then, doesnt need "fancy" oil :D, and mine doesnt apear to burn any oil thankfully. Didnt top it up once between last 10k miles oil change.

It's in, GM 5/30 VW505.01 approved fully synthetic oil, complete with Mann oil filter, I put a new fuel one in Monday, Mann again.

So far, quieter,smoother and more refined engine, more like the Superb used to feel infact, and the I think I'm being thrashed engine note has gone also, what a difference £38, 2 filters and a gallon of oil makes, if the dealer (VW) bothered to service the car, they must've put 15/40 in it or something, anyway it's good to see VW dealers can rival Skoda ones in something at last, rubbish service and shoddy work, I have an oil coated sump thx to the sump plug dripping

Edited by Supurbia

I use the stuff from Lidl (waits for explosion)

I was using it in my ultra high mileage (+250k) Toyota Previas without issue and when we replaced the (3 months old) VAG stuff in my sons `98 Felicia 1.3, the improvement in engine noise, performance and economy was VERY noticeable. (Why change it if it was only 3 months old?? He needed to learn how to do it, and I wanted to do it before the winter weather got too bad).

BTW, Toyota reliability has gone Waaaaay down the last few years; i hope you are not buying an Avensis Diesel, there are a LOT of people on the Toyota forums reporting early engine failures on all the D4D engines and the Avensis in particular.

Toyota havent yet resolved the DPF clogging problem and a lot of these cars are blowing gaskets at 30-40k.

And yeah, my two Lidl oiled Previas were consistently more economical than the other 3 the family run, and the engines outlasted 2 lower mileage engines that died of head gasket failure despite only ever having Toyota dealership servicing.

I think someone has been looking here and made 2+2 equal 99.

Go register and have a browse, some very excellent suggestions on what the government can do to cut costs.

As a Nursery Nurse, could I please ask everyone to give 5 stars to every suggestion made about scrapping OFSTED!! :thumbup:

Please ignore the above; for some reason my posts have been appearing in the wrong threads tonight; I wondered where this one had gone.

Has my browser window started using SATNAV to deliver my posts?? 2nd post that has disappeared from where I posted it, and reappeared somewhere else tonight.

Edited by GentleGiant

Thats good news supurbia. I find a similair thing with different brands of diesel as well funnely enough. Anything other than BP makes the engine sounds tappety, strange but true.

Thats good news supurbia. I find a similair thing with different brands of diesel as well funnely enough. Anything other than BP makes the engine sounds tappety, strange but true.

I noticed my Sup used to like BP as well for some reason, I mainly use Shell in my cars due to only having one BP station and they are always 3p per L over Shell.

Is this the Vx oil you are referring to?

5W30 dexos2

5 litre part number 93165557

If so then if you have a Vx tradeclub card, 4x 5 litre cans come to £50.10 +vat as they have been running a 4 for 3 offer for ages :thumbup:

Which I beleive is £14.72 inc vat for 5 litres

Edited by alexandjen