Stereo Caput - Octavia VRS MKII

I have now had my Octy VRS Diesel for a month. On Thursday morning, I turned my stereo on and it came up with the words "SAFE" which I thought didn't sound good. Stayed on for about 20 seconds then turned itself off. Continued to do this for on average between 20 secs and 20 mins....

So thought stuff this, i'll take it to the local dealer seeing as the car is under warranty...So took it and they said after quite a while of looking that there seemed in their opinionto be a false connection but that it was working again...excellent me thinks....and off I trot....until the next day...yesterday...

Turned on stereo....NOTHING at all, nada.....Now I did aske the guy at the dealer what would happen if it played up again. His response was for me to call them straight back and that it might need a new unit...fair enough...but then proceeded to tell me that often Skoda refuse to give a new unit under warranty as they are a bit funny with audio equipment.....WHHAAATTT!!

So has any one else experienced anything here, as if I need to get ready for a battle, I'd like to know. I spend a hell of a lot of time in my car and one without a stereo is not an option. As I bought it with a warranty I would be seriously racked off if they tell me to whistle....hopefully that wont be the case but anyone with a similar experience and how it finished up would be most welcome to tell me the outcome. :S

I have now had my Octy VRS Diesel for a month. On Thursday morning, I turned my stereo on and it came up with the words "SAFE" which I thought didn't sound good. Stayed on for about 20 seconds then turned itself off. Continued to do this for on average between 20 secs and 20 mins....

So thought stuff this, i'll take it to the local dealer seeing as the car is under warranty...So took it and they said after quite a while of looking that there seemed in their opinionto be a false connection but that it was working again...excellent me thinks....and off I trot....until the next day...yesterday...

Turned on stereo....NOTHING at all, nada.....Now I did aske the guy at the dealer what would happen if it played up again. His response was for me to call them straight back and that it might need a new unit...fair enough...but then proceeded to tell me that often Skoda refuse to give a new unit under warranty as they are a bit funny with audio equipment.....WHHAAATTT!!

So has any one else experienced anything here, as if I need to get ready for a battle, I'd like to know. I spend a hell of a lot of time in my car and one without a stereo is not an option. As I bought it with a warranty I would be seriously racked off if they tell me to whistle....hopefully that wont be the case but anyone with a similar experience and how it finished up would be most welcome to tell me the outcome. :S

ive a got a stream in my vrs, which at has fault on it, it is going to be replaced next week under warranty with a brand new one, no quibbles, no problem, no hassles wotsever, i suppose every skoda garage is differant.........

No experience, and no law degree either - but I'd make it clear in no uncertain terms that a warranty is a warranty, and is backed by consumer rights for the original vehicle purchaser. There's no reasonable way they can turn down a warranty claim for a genuine failure (i.e. not wear and tear or anything you've done) on a hardware device that's a month old. They can try to exclude consumables, wiring and similar but even these are covered under your legal rights: merchantable quality, fit for purpose and reasonably durable. I believe the legal claim period is something like 6 years now as well, although the onus is on them to prove it's not a fault for the first couple, but on you to prove that there is for the rest of the term. Irrelevant if it's been a matter of weeks, though, especially if they're already tried to repair it once and set a precedent.

Try a different dealer? By your location, I'm presuming you're heading for Leamington, but there's a new Skoda franchise not long opened up in Redditch who may be more keen to curry favour with new customers.

Now I did aske the guy at the dealer what would happen if it played up again. His response was for me to call them straight back and that it might need a new unit...fair enough...but then proceeded to tell me that often Skoda refuse to give a new unit under warranty as they are a bit funny with audio equipment.....WHHAAATTT!!

Well what a load of rubbish!

My satnav unit failed last week. I took it into the local dealer on Monday and car was ready with new satnav on Tuesday afternoon.

Sounds to me like your dealer isn't interested in warranty work.

If it's a factory fitted unit, they can't refuse to do it under warranty.

Might be a bit daft, but have you just tried pulling the main fuse out for 30 seconds and plugging back in (you didnt put what testing you had done yourself)? Newer stereos have more and more computer type parts in, so can every now and then crash. As the power never actually is disconnected from the stereo, even when ignition off, it can be like keeping a a crashed computer in standby. Pulling the fuse and waiting 30 seconds for any memory to clear might help (9 times out of 10 its worked for me on various stereos), although I think this would have been the first thing the dealer would have tried. :S but it sounds like your dealer didn't do anything..

Worth a try at least I would have thought.

Edited by Rhoobarb

Yes they did try that apparently but said they think the fault likes in the loom.

Not to worry though as Skoda are to replace it under warranty...nice chaps!! All being well it will end happily!! :rofl: