Dog guard/Luggage guard

A while ago I posted some questions in this thread re a few things and dog guards. Now that we have a few more owners I was wondering if anyone has actually found and fitted a guard that can be used both in the luggage area and behind the front seats with the rear seats removed/tipped forward? As stated in that thread the lovely official Skoda accessory can only work in the boot (and is pretty pricey!).

I got the one in Aldi recently and while not perfect it does work.

Takes a bit of fiddling to get it anchored if not using the hooks over the rear seats.

I got the one in Aldi recently and while not perfect it does work.

Takes a bit of fiddling to get it anchored if not using the hooks over the rear seats.

I got the same one before my Yeti arrived, they were so cheap, £9.99, that it didn't matter if it didn't work. The guard does fit fine but the feet do eat into your boot and the boot is small enough as it is. I gave up trying to use the hooks, they don't seem to fit the seats. The headrest guards look a better bet but they cost a bit more and as I am currently struggling to deal with the whole new puppy and costs that come with it then that will have to wait.

In reply to 90000, clearly I have not tried what you are looking for but from looking on the net I think you are looking for a Mesh Guard rather than a tubular one. You seem to be able to get bigger mesh areas than tubular guards. The Saunders W2 guard looks like a good bet. Sorry I can not help more.

Edited by EdmundBlackadder

A while ago I posted some questions in this thread re a few things and dog guards. Now that we have a few more owners I was wondering if anyone has actually found and fitted a guard that can be used both in the luggage area and behind the front seats with the rear seats removed/tipped forward? As stated in that thread the lovely official Skoda accessory can only work in the boot (and is pretty pricey!).

Hi,

I have a Skoda guard/restraint (part no. DMM630001) surplus to requirements, yours for £85 posted (in the UK), but it needs fitting by a dealer. I have had a custom built full length dog guard made, and a tail gate guard, this allows me to leave the lid up and the dogs are secure inside. Email me if you want some pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

Johann

Sorry for the delay but here are the pictures my headrest mounted luggage guard. As mentioned in the PM (and for the benefit of other members):

On the plus side............

Easy to fit and remove

Parcel shelf can remain - so useful for luggage retention

Can be mounted front or back

On the minus side.........

Can rattle at times - wouldnt want to leave it in all the time - but then I am a bit sensitive when it come to noise can hear watches and clocks ticking!!!

Not the best quality in the world - adequate but not excellent

Heres a link to it

Cheers

Simon

DSCF0480.jpg

DSCF0481.jpg

DSCF0482.jpg

Thank you very much Simon. It looks very good. So the headrest brackets can move left and right to fit any width? Hence you can fit it to the front headrests too?

Thank you very much Simon. It looks very good. So the headrest brackets can move left and right to fit any width? Hence you can fit it to the front headrests too?

Yep!!

The mounting hooks are detachable so you can attach in any position along the bottom rail - so will cope with the front or with the rear seat moved in when you have the middle one out. The top horizontal can also be raised, something you may need to do on the front seats I guess.

S

Funny that on that website they specifically say: "Almost as important in our experience is that the WalkyGuard doesn’t rattle – one of the irritating bugbears of many dog guards. It’s a one piece welded construction with no potential for metal on metal vibration, with a black powder-coated finish."

But for the price I like this. All the Saunders ones have that additional leg that has to go down behind the seats which I'm not too keen on... But on the other hand the entire strength of this bar is on the brackets around the headrests. So you can't really push too hard at the top I suspect as it will just bend. So it might stop a flying camp chair but it won't be undamaged.

I found this Travall Yeti specific guard that requires no physical fixing if anyone is interested:

http://www.travall.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_701_2616&products_id=637

Looks very well designed I have to say.

TDG1248FITTED-05.jpg

BUT it can't be fitted behind the front seats.

• 2 weeks later...

Just been away for a week in The Lakes and it was the first time I had probably let our dog, a 14wk puppy, loose in the back. All was fine, no jumping over the back seat etc BUT the internal boot handle and the hooks at the back of the seats to hook the folded back seats to the headrests to keep them upright are seemingly ideal chew toys for dogs. I found this out on day 5 when closing the boot with the dangly handle and noticing it did not feel smooth in my hand any more.

Worth thinking about if you have a dog guard and not a cage/crate in the boot (hence why I posted it on this thread)

I would suspect you also need to look at the armrest parts and somehow cover them lest you want them covered in hair (unless they are leather of course!)

• 7 months later...

So I finally got myself a dog/luggage guard for the Yeti. It is a Montblanc K9E and costs around £50. It is headrest mounted and can thus be mounted on the rear or front seats. Since I only need it to protect me from my camping gear flying forward I did not even fit the side panels that closes the gap on each side. Works a treat. And since there are NO moving parts it does not rattle at all either. It even went around the track with me at Castle Combe with its only presence being seeing it in the rearview mirror. Good quality and very easy to fit and remove. :thumbup:

imgp7342.jpg

It is pretty sturdy but I won't expect it to hold back a crate of beer or anything that heavy. And like any sensible person heavy things are packed at the bottom. So it is only the odd folding camping chair or aluminium kettle I'm trying to catch with this!

So I finally got myself a dog/luggage guard for the Yeti. It is a Montblanc K9E and costs around £50. It is headrest mounted and can thus be mounted on the rear or front seats. Since I only need it to protect me from my camping gear flying forward I did not even fit the side panels that closes the gap on each side. Works a treat. And since there are NO moving parts it does not rattle at all either. It even went around the track with me at Castle Combe with its only presence being seeing it in the rearview mirror. Good quality and very easy to fit and remove.

Now all you need is a dog.:rofl:

Now all you need is a dog.:rofl:

I'd LOVE one! But with dogs you need someone to look after them over lunchtime, which is impossible to justify financially.

So I finally got myself a dog/luggage guard for the Yeti. It is a Montblanc K9E and costs around £50. ...

Interesting - same as the Halfords jobbie (or likely vice versa) I got (for an Octavia). Yours looks upside down versus the fitting guide I think but if it fits better, so be it! I also didn't bother with the side extensions... no rattles, easy to remove etc.

PS: had my first taste of the animal lover police last weekend - woman comes into the restaurant saying "your dog is dying" ("because its in a car on a sunny day" - regardless of the breeze flowing through the window and sunroof and associated lack of heat inside!). After showing her the relatively cool interior she went off with her friends shouting "dogs die in cars!" - maybe one day she will save a dog, but yesterday she was just another ignorant busybody of the type we can all do without. [And of course I had checked on the dog 15mins before...] :S

Interesting - same as the Halfords jobbie (or likely vice versa) I got (for an Octavia). Yours looks upside down versus the fitting guide I think but if it fits better, so be it! I also didn't bother with the side extensions... no rattles, easy to remove etc.

No this one can be fitted either way around to fit whatever shape your vehicle is. From the manual:

picture1qv.jpg

And the side parts fit in roughly the same way to the main part:

picture2fe.jpg

Yip, looking at one that looks similar in Halfords for £49.99 Halfords Dog Guard Maybe I can find the Montblanc version at a better price? Any ideas...

I got my Montblanc from eBay for £46,99 plus £2 shipping. So yes you can get it for cheaper than the Halfords price. :yes:

Just noticed the Halfords one is a Montblanc K9E but in their own Halfords packaging. The photo from both websites are identical and fitted in the same car, Pets at Home also do it for slightly more.