Tyre Options

Smick

Go down to 6". Narrow tread cuts through the crud onto something solid better.

Thanks Llanigraham, but my querie was about the rim size...tread width eg. 205 or 215 of the actual tyre can be had on either 6 or 7 inch rims it seems, and it's the pros and cons of this that I was not clear about.

I went for the 7J x16 as this gives me the option of fitting either the 205/55 or the 215/60 tyre size. Currently using the 205/55 as that's what I had fitted to my previous Golf 4motion as standard and even with summer tyres it was OK in snow unlike the 225 which were rubbish.

TP

Thanks Llanigraham, but my querie was about the rim size...tread width eg. 205 or 215 of the actual tyre can be had on either 6 or 7 inch rims it seems, and it's the pros and cons of this that I was not clear about.

As I said, go narrow, so 6" rims with 205 tyres. This gives you a narrower footprint which cuts through the crud. Too wide a tread "floats" on the surface.

16 inch tyre options, presumably on either 7 or 6 inch wide rims:

215/60 7J 16" = 664,4 mm diamete when new. Snow chains only permitted on rear wheels.

205/55 7J 16" = 631.9 mm diameter when new, Snow chains can be fitted on all four wheel. Speedo and odometer read 5% faster than standard wheel above.

205/65 7J 16" = 672.9 mm diameter when new, 8.5 mm larger diameter than standard, but as 12 mm chains could have been fitted, no likely interference with body parts, speedo and odometer 1,3% slower than standard wheel. if you have no need to fit chains, this would seem to be the best size winter tyre. The narrower 65 series mau no handle quite as well on dry asphalt as the others, but is that a real concern from December through March?

There are sure to be opinions about this, so don't be shy :D

I've been reading this topic (and others like it) with interest.

I've got the 225/50 R17 tyres, and the standard summer tyres on. Planning ahead, once these are worn out I'd like to put some tyres on which are going to provide a better winter experience. However, I'm really not convinced that I want to go down the route of another set of wheels and tyres. So I'm considering the option of all-season tyres.

Sadly, comparative tests seem to be a bit thin on the ground, and in this size the options are distinctly limited.

If I stick a set of these new-fangled Nokian eNTyres on the existing wheels, am I likely to get decent summer performance (wet and dry), good and safe cold weather performance (wet and dry), and at least half a chance in snow?!?!?

I've been reading this topic (and others like it) with interest.

I've got the 225/50 R17 tyres, and the standard summer tyres on. Planning ahead, once these are worn out I'd like to put some tyres on which are going to provide a better winter experience. However, I'm really not convinced that I want to go down the route of another set of wheels and tyres. So I'm considering the option of all-season tyres.

Sadly, comparative tests seem to be a bit thin on the ground, and in this size the options are distinctly limited.

If I stick a set of these new-fangled Nokian eNTyres on the existing wheels, am I likely to get decent summer performance (wet and dry), good and safe cold weather performance (wet and dry), and at least half a chance in snow?!?!?

I haven't tried winter tyres myself but from what I have read they can be noisier than summer tyres. I would not want any increase in tyre noise over my standard Goodyear Excellence. Maybe one of our winter tyre users can comment on noise levels (if that bothers you of course).

I haven't tried winter tyres myself but from what I have read they can be noisier than summer tyres. I would not want any increase in tyre noise over my standard Goodyear Excellence. Maybe one of our winter tyre users can comment on noise levels (if that bothers you of course).

Essentially no difference in noise from my selection of winter and summer tyres.

Sorry Folks - have been away from the machine for a bit, so have only just caught up with these conversations. At present, watching the tread on my offside rear Pirelli Rosso drifting towards 3.5 mm and know that I have to do something in the next month. Just turned 12K miles.

I have a set of winters, 215/60 x 16 Vredestein Wintrac Xtrems ready on 6.5 rims. Got these fitted about a month ago when the price was low, and now looking at what to do about the summer tyres. Was sort of hoping that the winters would take over in October, but think now that unless temperatures drop at least 6 degrees, I'll only end up shredding them quickly.

At present, am almost tempted to follow TP and fit Nokians, but I would really like to know that they aren't a hideous hard tread. My natural inclination - living in wet Cumbria - is to fit Goodyears, which will be better in the wet, but usually eat tread on the cart tracks we call roads up here.

I think I can get away with another month, but after that, decision time will be upon me. Will keep watching this thread to give me the answers!

16 inch tyre options, presumably on either 7 or 6 inch wide rims:

215/60 7J 16" = 664,4 mm diamete when new. Snow chains only permitted on rear wheels.

205/55 7J 16" = 631.9 mm diameter when new, Snow chains can be fitted on all four wheel. Speedo and odometer read 5% faster than standard wheel above.

205/65 7J 16" = 672.9 mm diameter when new, 8.5 mm larger diameter than standard, but as 12 mm chains could have been fitted, no likely interference with body parts, speedo and odometer 1,3% slower than standard wheel. if you have no need to fit chains, this would seem to be the best size winter tyre. The narrower 65 series mau no handle quite as well on dry asphalt as the others, but is that a real concern from December through March?

There are sure to be opinions about this, so don't be shy emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

AH. I liked what you said about the 205/65 tyres Agerbundsen (in terms of the speedo etc) but checking on mytyres.co.uk there was only ONE winter tyre in that size of a strange make. So 205/55 it will be for me and I will just live with the 5% difference.