Reversing camera fitting guide

Hi all

I have just fitted my reversing camera and putting this guide on the forum as requested by chicken_eyebrow.

Right here we go.

This guide is for fitting this Reversing camera but would do for most.

Tools you will need are as followed.

Welding rod 1m in length or something like it

IMAG0010.jpg

Soldering iron can be gas or plug in

IMAG0011.jpg

Air saw or just a blade for cutting

IMAG0013.jpg

Torx T20 and T25 but this is a handy set to have

IMAG0012.jpg

And some extra single core cable

Now to prep your car.

Step 1)

Remove your glove box by removing the 5 T20 torx scaws

2 bottom

IMAG0014.jpg

3 at the top

IMAG0015.jpg

And slowly lower it and remove the conector for the light on the right hand side

IMAG0016.jpg

Now you can put it down on the floor

IMAG0017.jpg

Step 2)

Remove the door seals

You just need to pull like so

IMAG0019.jpg

Do this for the frount

IMAG0018.jpg

And the back

IMAG0020.jpg

Step 3)

Remove the back head liner plastic covers all the way or just a bit so you can run your cables

Agen you just need to pull them but do this slowly with them as thay are held on by clips and are a pain to come off

IMAG0021.jpg

If any of the clips stay conected to the car side when you take the covers off just pull them out with some grips and sild them back on the covers

Step 4)

Open the boot and remove the tailgate cover but pulling down on it

IMAG0026.jpg

So now we can get to the inside of the tailgate and start having fun

IMAG0027.jpg

Step 5)

You now need to remove the plastic cover that holds your number plate lights.

IMAG0028.jpg

1st pull out the bulbs like so

IMAG0030.jpg

And now remove the 4 T25 torx scaws from the inside of the tailgate

IMAG0029.jpg

When done you can pull off the cover like so and remove the buld covers as well by removing the 2 scaws

IMAG0031.jpg

Step 6)

Time for some cutting :)

Get your saw and cut out the back of the bulb holder and keep the bit you cut out as you can alway bond it back on if you need to

Befor

IMAG0033.jpg

And what is looks like when done

IMAG0032.jpg

See post 2 for the rest

Step 7)

You need to cut the corners of the camera so in will fit in the hole you just cut left side or right like so

IMAG0043.jpg

and then you can scaw the camera on and put the cables in to the tailgate

Right now get a coffe as you are now going to run the cables :)

Step 8)

You now need to run the video cable and the auto switch cable to you head unit (Pls note that the auto switch cable is the power cable that some units have to auto switchs from what ever screen you have on at the time to the reversing camera screen but now all will have this)

so if you dont have it you will just run the video cable.

As part of the kit you get a big long AV cable to conect the camera to you head unit so to run this down the tailgate you need to cut off 1 of the ends (If the ends on your head unit are male then you will need to cut off the female end of the AV cable)

When you have done so get your welding rod or what ever you have and bend the end over like so

IMAG0036.jpg

And then hook the end of the AV cable to in

You the need to fead the rod down the side of the tailgate

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

Until you see it coming out the bottom

IMAG0038.jpg

It can take some time :) but when at the bottom grab it and pull it through slowly and it gets hard to pull stop as you could have snagged the cables that are it there so just push it up a bit and pull agen.

When you have got it down the side dont unhook it just yet at you need to do the same with the black rubber cover that conects your tailgate to the inside of the car

IMAG0038.jpg

Do the same are you did with the tailgate and unhook when done at this point you my need somthing stronger then coffee to carm you down :giggle:

Step 9)

Now take the cable you have just run down the inside of the tailgate and through the rubber cover at the bottom and run it inside the car

Pic is of the drivers side but you will be running in on the pasenger side :giggle: forgot to take that 1 sry

IMAG0021.jpg

down the back door seal

IMAG0023.jpg

And between the piller

IMAG0022.jpg

To the frount of the car

IMAG0023.jpg

And up and over to your head unit

IMAG0025.jpg

And then get the female end you cut off and solder it back on so you can conect it to you head unit :)

Step 10)

Now you have have you AV cable run you now need to run the power cable (RED Conector) from the camera to the drivers side tail lights.

To do this take the cable that comes with the kit and hook the ends with no conector on it to the welding rode :rofl: yep you got it,

You now need to run this cable down the drivers side part of the tailgate

IMAG0035.jpg

Same as befor until you run it inside the car to here

IMAG0021.jpg

it will just get there but you will need to solder some extra cable to the ends to get it the rest of the way to the tail light.

But when you have solderd the extra on run it to the light like so

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

Right no more running cables YAY :giggle:

Ok

Step 11

You now need to solder you power cable you have just run to the reversing light

This is how we get the power to the camera but only when you put in into revers

Start by taking out the light holder and disconecting the plug

IMAG0040.jpg

You will need to cut some of the insulation on the live and ground wires so you can solder the cable in.

IMAG0041.jpg

Yours may not be the same so be shore.

Step 12)

You last wires coming of your camera are for the LED lights that replace the bulb that was there befor

You just need to cut your old bulb holder off and solder the wires on.

IMAG0030.jpg

Grate you 99% done

Now if your happy you conected everthing up.go put you keys in the car and turn your head unit on.

Put the car into revers and see if you camera comes on (remeber if your head unit dose not have auto switching you need to put it to the camera channel)

If all is good you just now need to put the car back together the same way you taken it apart :giggle:

IMAG0044.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

Right pat your self on the back for a job well done :p

Pls remeber you can get all types of cameras off ebay and if you get 1 the gets put somewere other then the tailgate you can just do up 2 step 2 and then from step 11.

Hope this helps any one that is thinking of putting one on there car.

And dont be put off by how big of a job it looks in the guide as its not :giggle: just looks that way when you brake it down.

Edited by JackDeath

Thanks for taking the time to do this, very detailed and lots of great pictures! :thumbup:

Have you got a pic of what the lights look like on the numberplate now at night? As one side is LEDs now whereas one side is a normal bulb?

Ok hot off the press :giggle:

IMAG0046.jpg

About the same still but the LEDs do give better light but the out one to the right still has a dirty bulb cover :) so when cleaned i think thay will be about the same or it will be so small you would not see it.

Cool write up but boy does that look involved :o

:giggle: Its not as bad as it looks.

Taking the gloveback out and door seals and the tailgate bits takes about 20 min or so :)

Getting the cable down the tailgate can be a pain so thats the hardest part.

The rest is just a bit of cutting and soldering :)

Could be a handfull if your not the type that likes taking stuff apart for the hell of it :giggle:

i dont like the look of putting the wires down the boot hatch, looks too hard for me lol

The 1st side was 10min messing about till i got it.

But then on the other side it was done in 3 mins :)

But for them that are not good at DIY you can go down this road for a bit more cash

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Night-Vision-Wireless-Car-Reversing-Rear-View-Camera-/120595908114?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioElectronicsVideo_Video_TelevisionSetTopBoxes&hash=item1c14138612

Would show more when fitted to your car

the cash or diy aint the problem, i just dispise wiring, hate it with a passion :rofl:

going by the guide i could do it but ill get me mate around for the wiring lol

Lol wimp its just 2 wires :p

But me have a hole garage and tools to play with dose make it a tad easyer :giggle:

Edited by JackDeath

• 7 years later...

Jack,

I looked at this post a little while back with the intention of having a good look at it later when I got a camera.

Fantastic post with lots of good pictures.

I've come back to it today, and all the pictures can no longer viewed thanks to Photobucket.

Bit of a long shot, but is there any chance of you resurrecting the pictures ?

Thanks

Geoff

• 7 months later...