oil warning light

hi guys. i am a new member ...

i have a skoda fabia 1.4 comfort.

yesterday i drove from newcastle to london, when i got to london my oil light came on with 3 beeps.

i turned the car off and walked to a garage and bought some oil..i topped it up , turned the engine on and it still lights up..

i took the risk and drove the further 5 miles to get home, the light was still on..i left the car overnight and got up this morning

and checked the oil level, it was fine..but the light still comes on....

has anyone any idea's concerning why this could be?..thanks rob.

It could be that the capilary in the pressure transducer has got a speck of carbon in it.

thanks for the reply ken.

would that be the oil level sensor?..im sorry i dont understand capilary/transducer...im not to au-fait with such terminology..

thanks rob.

Most likely the oil pressure switch.

thanks. ive just bought an oil sender unit, which i presume is the same thing?...

going to try and replace that and see what happens...will post the results,

just in case others have a similar problem. :(

i was also wondering if i need to reset the insp that flashes on my speed dial..?

thanks for the advice guys.

rob.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if the oil pressure switch was faulty then when you put the key in the ignition and turned it to stage 3 then the light wouldn't illuminate at all? The beeping and light coming on suggests a bigger problem where the oil pressure is too high so potentially early signs of head gasket failure or something else.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if the oil pressure switch was faulty then when you put the key in the ignition and turned it to stage 3 then the light wouldn't illuminate at all? The beeping and light coming on suggests a bigger problem where the oil pressure is too high so potentially early signs of head gasket failure or something else.

hmmm...that dont sound too good!...i can see the sense in your answer though!..

i'll try the plug anyway (as ive bought one) and post the results.

thanks for the replies guys.

rob.

The light comes on when the pressure is low. With the ignition on and the engine not running, the pressure is low and the light is on. The oil pressure sensors in these engines frequently go wrong, with the symptoms that you describe. If you were to unplug the electrical connection, I would suspect that it will be oily, which would confirm a faulty oil pressure sensor.

I hope that you checked the oil level before topping it up and have not overfilled it. You'll be surprised at the number of cars that we see that have had this problem or that the oil service display is on, where the owners have chucked in a couple or 5 litres of oil and then go on to moan about getting charged to drain the scalding hot oil and refill with new oil.

The light comes on when the pressure is low. With the ignition on and the engine not running, the pressure is low and the light is on. The oil pressure sensors in these engines frequently go wrong, with the symptoms that you describe. If you were to unplug the electrical connection, I would suspect that it will be oily, which would confirm a faulty oil pressure sensor.

I hope that you checked the oil level before topping it up and have not overfilled it. You'll be surprised at the number of cars that we see that have had this problem or that the oil service display is on, where the owners have chucked in a couple or 5 litres of oil and then go on to moan about getting charged to drain the scalding hot oil and refill with new oil.

thanks.i was careful not to overfill as i was told it would damage it badly...its just on the top 'c' mark. (going by owners manual)

and i havent been tempted to put more in...i can see how some people do get tempted though!...quick cure etc....

will put in new sensor tomorrow..i'll see if it is oily too..

is it the plug/sensor nearest the oil filter on the passenger side???...there are a couple around that area!!!....

thanks .rob.

waheyyy...i fitted the new sensor. after banging my hand ,swearing a lot etc...as you do!... :smirk:

run the engine for a while till it warmed up..no more beeping..and panicking about ceasing up etc...

and yep..the old sensor was full of oil...i had to let gravity take its course and keep wiping it off the plug

till it was dry.....

cheers for all your help guys. brilliant forum for us skoda dudes....thanks again.

now to fix my petrol flap and rear wiper washer..oh well 1 out of 3 aint bad eh?... ;)

cheers rob.

• 1 month later...

Hi All!

I think we have this same problem with our car, can anyone tell me exactly where the sensor is located?

Thanks

John

waheyyy...i fitted the new sensor. after banging my hand ,swearing a lot etc...as you do!... :smirk:

run the engine for a while till it warmed up..no more beeping..and panicking about ceasing up etc...

and yep..the old sensor was full of oil...i had to let gravity take its course and keep wiping it off the plug

till it was dry.....

cheers for all your help guys. brilliant forum for us skoda dudes....thanks again.

now to fix my petrol flap and rear wiper washer..oh well 1 out of 3 aint bad eh?... ;)

cheers rob.

• 3 years later...

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP.....Greetings everyone,i bought a Skoda Fabia 14 16v ...i am having an issue,the oil light came on when i was driving,i heard a beeping sound & the car cut out. I tried to start it back but the engine did not start..i waited for a few minutes then it started & the flashing brake light came on the dash board....i changed the oil,the level is fine but the oil light is still on,now the ABS  light is on. The mechanic took out the oil unit & tested the oil pressure & that is fine. When the car is idling no lights on the dashboard are on..its only when i drive,that the lights come on. I test drive the car again the lights came on & the beeping sound,but it did not cut out this time(oil & brakelights on dasboard are still on).

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

waheyyy...i fitted the new sensor. after banging my hand ,swearing a lot etc...as you do!... emoticon-0143-smirk.gif

till it was dry.....

now to fix my petrol flap and rear wiper washer..oh well 1 out of 3 aint bad eh?... emoticon-0105-wink.gif

cheers rob.

it sounds like you may be in luck with your other two problems as well. both the rear wiper washer and petrol cap are very common and easy to fix problems. if you do a quick search on either you should find plenty of straight forward guides to sort them :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk