Octavia 3

It appears the new VW Jetta (Golf with a boot) has a different wheelbase (ie longer) than the latest Golf. I wonder if this will be the basis for the next generation Octy in a few years time?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/254917/volkswagen_jetta_20_tsi.html

I'd say probably not, as it's based on the Golf 5 architecture. It's actually a cheap version designed to increase volumes, as Americans have been turned off by the high price and tech of the last version Jetta. I'd expect the next Octavia to be based on the next Golf platform as it is now - more volume = more savings for VW!

My dealer said a while ago the next Octavia will be bigger - in line with the Passat - and there would be a new Golf size Skoda to fit between the Fabia and the Octavia.

That would be nice - the Golf sized Skoda that is.

My dealer said a while ago the next Octavia will be bigger - in line with the Passat - and there would be a new Golf size Skoda to fit between the Fabia and the Octavia.

I heard the same from my local; dealer in Swansea. A slightly larger Octavia with more rear leg room would be good.

So for those of us wanting to buy a new octavia - should we hold off ordering the current model as the new one could be along any time now? Or is it still likely to be a while before the next generation octavia is launched. I know the current model has had a facelift, but it has been around since 2004 - surely a new model cant be far away?

Also, that jetta looks almost as boring as the latest astra! hope the next octavia is more interesting than that!

They usually facelift a car mid way through it's lifespan. I should think we wont see anything for another 18months - 2years+.

Edited by Guest

I heard the same from my local; dealer in Swansea. A slightly larger Octavia with more rear leg room would be good.

Isn't that called a Superb? :)

I wouldn't expect to see an Octy3 appear until at least this time in 2012 (IMO).

So could the new slot between Fabia & Octy be the Joyster ?

Just looked at the link, looks like the Passat cc from the side & a merc rear, I hope Skoda can be a bit more inventive.

Edited by lfc958

So could the new slot between Fabia & Octy be the Joyster ?

Just looked at the link, looks like the Passat cc from the side & a merc rear, I hope Skoda can be a bit more inventive.

I thought the Joyster was a sub Fabia city car model but who knows.

Not bowled over by this Jetta, just thought the longer wheelbase than the Golf was a new departure. I think the current Octy is just about as long as it can get on the (current) Golf wheelbase.

On that Jetta revision, there's nothing to say that we would get that in Europe. As you may know, for the N.American market the Jetta is a huge seller, as they seem to prefer the booted version, compared to the Golf.

So it could be that they're offering a targeted new model to that market, while offering something else for other territories.

Just my thinking too, as I typed that earlier :thumbup:

Spookily similar; doesn't mean we couldn't have a branded Skoda alternative though...

Plus, if they keep the longitudinal engine layout from the A5, that means we could have a 3.0TDI 6-cylinder Skoda B)

Isn't the Superb a Passat alternative?

A new A3 is due out in 2011/12, probably at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show. This will be the first model to use the latest VAG platform for 'Golf' sized cars. I assume any new Octavia will be build on the platform.

saw this today, a new felicia to fit between the fabia and octavia click me

That just looks like a vague Photoshop attempt to me that - taking an existing Octavia and shortening it slightly :wonder:

A new A3 is due out in 2011/12, probably at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show. This will be the first model to use the latest VAG platform for 'Golf' sized cars. I assume any new Octavia will be build on the platform.

That sounds right and sensible to me. The A3 8P was the first of the VAG family to use the A5 platform, so it makes sense for it to be first in line for the new platform, as it's been using this one the longest.