Is my car in Limp Mode?

chrisd

Basically I was driving my Fabia along the A34 before, I put my foot down in 2nd and there was a 'pop' sound, so I pulled over and noticed the boost pipe had come off. I connected it back up and pulled away, there was loads of black smoke and turbo is definitely not running. A couple of questions, is my car now in 'limp mode'? If so how do I get the car out of this mode? Or is it more serious, like a blown turbo?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Did the boost hose come straight off again? Once popped that link is weaked and you could easily have popped it again without realising.

But yes, when boost = nil, that is limp mode. Thing is though, usually in limp mode the fuelling is cut right back so you get hardly any smoke at all.

You don't say where it's popped off.

Mine old vRS's popped off at 21,000 miles at the bottom in the bumper - it was clipped together and popped again the next day. The dealer refused to look at it and didn't approve of my fix which was a hose clip - actually 2 in series - around the problematic joint. However it lasted 43,500 miles till I sold it.

However the pipe popped off at the top over the engine at around 45,000 just after the cambelt was changed. I clipped it back together (much better moulding here than the lower connection) and it was fine for the next 20,000 miles. Clearly the dealer hadn't reassembled correctly.

In both cases once reconnected the engine was fine - nothing needed resetting.

IMG_2919.jpg

Edited by DRJ

Just buy bigger clips! or double up whats there.

There aren't any clips at the moment - the mouldings clip together - sort of like putting a light bulb into a socket.

Corrigendum: there does appear to be a clip in my photo - but I can't remember how everything went together - it certainly looked low rent...

I think I'm confusing the top and bottom ones. The bottom one has a clip which retains two lugs. I used the hose clip to hold the normal clip in and prevent it being sprung out. Apart from the "screw it together" option I can't see how a cure could otherwise be effected.

Edited by DRJ

Could you not use the cable tie method to secure them?

A large section cable tie might be OK but I felt the hoseclip method a better long-term solution

I'd still go for the hose clip. It looks more professional and if anyone else does any work on the car it's more likely it'll go back on properly - I could easily see a screw or two missed off...