Headrest Monitors

R3NVL

Been having a look around and seen a few headrests with built in monitors..

Question is, does anyone have them already and if so, which are most 'Skoda like'

Or do people chop out the existing headrests and put screens in?

Opinions?

Chris

Not got the headrests change but just strapped the monitors to the headrest - been on for about 1 year now and do OK - occassionaly need to adjust them. The angle at the rear of the heasrest is not condusive to the people in the back.

Also the head rests are a bit narrow at the top, but dont remeber the screens coming off despite 20k of driving and an bit of abuse by 'little people'.

Simpler solution if not so elegant - cost about £150 for 2x 9" screens

not sure if that helps but it is a solution

B

Not got the headrests change but just strapped the monitors to the headrest - been on for about 1 year now and do OK - occassionaly need to adjust them. The angle at the rear of the heasrest is not condusive to the people in the back.

Also the head rests are a bit narrow at the top, but dont remeber the screens coming off despite 20k of driving and an bit of abuse by 'little people'.

Simpler solution if not so elegant - cost about £150 for 2x 9" screens

not sure if that helps but it is a solution

B

Do your screens have DVD or are you connected to Columbus head unit for a feed?

I have a separate system in the back with 2 screens - handy having a 12v power unit in the back of the centre console!!

It means they can change dvds in the back with out me having to do anything.

One thing I would definately recommend is headphones - that way you dont need to listen to mickey mouse and friends all the way on your journey - one of my friends has infra red headphones - neat idea - no cables.

Also with our system you can take the screen out and run it off the mains in the hotel room - that way you get your movie at bedtime with no cost!!

B

I have a separate system in the back with 2 screens - handy having a 12v power unit in the back of the centre console!!

It means they can change dvds in the back with out me having to do anything.

One thing I would definately recommend is headphones - that way you dont need to listen to mickey mouse and friends all the way on your journey - one of my friends has infra red headphones - neat idea - no cables.

Also with our system you can take the screen out and run it off the mains in the hotel room - that way you get your movie at bedtime with no cost!!

B

That's what I have just now. It has it's merits and they use headphones as much as their little heads can cope!

I just hate the wires, and also, due to damage the disc player resets a lot, just considering the options if I do eventually have a Columbus HU.

I think the ones in halfords are pretty neat.....plus one has the rear power supply already there.....its just the wires. But my girls are a bit more sensible now ( only just ) and when they choose a film then they are pretty quiet....havent tried using them on the greenline yet....would be interested to find out if the rear darkened glass would keep out the suns glare when viewing. I do agree about the headphones tho....would be nice if they used them more...nothing worst than hearing someone screaming and gunshots being fired...mind you i think they were watching commando with big arnie :rofl:

I agree, if money no object then get the built in ones.

However, if you go with the separate, you can use a cable tidy or similar to make a neat job of it.

One thing I looked at is how many of these things come in a bag or carry case. When you want to change the DVD you need to take it all out the bag, inset DVD and then re do. Bit of a hassal really. My one has the head or driver unit in 1 screen and the second screen as a repeater/slave tv.

Different solutions for different people.

Regrads

B

I've got a pair that will run off a USB hard drive or USB drive and play Divx ('compressed' movies).

The two luvvies can then watch separate movies saved to their USB sticks. Also allows you to plug in a Playstation for games or DVDs.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a pair of these in mine;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/L0201M-2x-7-Car-Headrest-DVD-Game-FM-IR-Player-USB-SD-/110574712668?pt=UK_Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP&hash=item19bec4375c

Cost 130 GBP and came with wireless headphones, wireless game controllers and remote controls. The actual dvd players are Sony, and great quality picture and sound.

They were relatively easy to fit, and routing the wires through the seat was a doddle, just needed a thin pole to attache the wires to, and route them through.

The only thing I found was the actual headrest stems, whilst adjustable, were about a millimeter less in diameter than the recess hole in the seat, so on bumpy rides had a tendency to rattle a bit. That was temporarily solved by wedging a bit of material under the headrest, and more permanently by getting a local machine shop to make some sleeeves....

The only downside for me is that the headrests are leather, whilst I have cloth seats, but it doesn't really ahow that much, as the leather is somewhat matt in appearance....

i would have no idea how to wire them in :-/

Would have to call on an 'expert'

I have hidden most of the wiring for the dvd screens and the headphones under the centre-console and in the rubber fittings of the doors:

Pictures in this thread