Irish Scrappage Scheme and Skoda's waiting period

bluckaneyr

This is my first posting here but from what I've seen this is a friendly and helpful group.

I ordered a Skoda Fabia Combi 1.2 TSI 85bhp on August 3rd here in Dublin, Ireland, and was told the car would be delivered in the 2nd week of December.

I need that delivery date to be met as I am buying the car using the Irish scrappage scheme, which runs out at the end of December. If my new car isn't delivered and my old car "scrapped" by the end of December I would lose out on 1,500 euro. That would be a high price to pay for a delivery slowdown and I am down to the wire, what with the closeness of Christmas to the anticipated delivery time.

Now the car I am buying is called the "Ambiente" model in Ireland and I ordered no extra features in order to minimise delay. However I read on-line that production at Skoda has been interrupted by flooding at a subsidiary plant in the Czech Republic.

See- http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE67A0QI20100811

I rang the Skoda garage, who claimed not to have been told about the flooding. The garage made enquiries and came back to me saying there would be a delay of 1 day for my car because of the flooding and they were confident I would meet the scrappage deadline.

Fingers crossed as I have no time to play around with.

This is my first posting here but from what I've seen this is a friendly and helpful group.

I ordered a Skoda Fabia Combi 1.2 TSI 85bhp on August 3rd here in Dublin, Ireland, and was told the car would be delivered in the 2nd week of December.

I need that delivery date to be met as I am buying the car using the Irish scrappage scheme, which runs out at the end of December. If my new car isn't delivered and my old car "scrapped" by the end of December I would lose out on 1,500 euro. That would be a high price to pay for a delivery slowdown and I am down to the wire, what with the closeness of Christmas to the anticipated delivery time.

Now the car I am buying is called the "Ambiente" model in Ireland and I ordered no extra features in order to minimise delay. However I read on-line that production at Skoda has been interrupted by flooding at a subsidiary plant in the Czech Republic.

See- http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE67A0QI20100811

I rang the Skoda garage, who claimed not to have been told about the flooding. The garage made enquiries and came back to me saying there would be a delay of 1 day for my car because of the flooding and they were confident I would meet the scrappage deadline.

Fingers crossed as I have no time to play around with.

Welcome to Briskoda

I think it would be up to the dealer to organise something if the delivery is going to be longer, maybe they could take your car in to meet the scrappage and give you a temp car until yours is delivered?

Dallan

Dallan,

Many thanks for your clever suggestion. I will put that to the dealer, hopefully the terms of the scrappage scheme don't rule that strategy out.

My main hope is of course that a time period of nearly 20 weeks is enough for the assembly and supply of my car to Ireland.

If the deal is done with the dealer already.,surely they have to take car as scrappage even if the scheme is finished. This must be happening to other customers as well. Clarify with the dealer.

If the deal is done with the dealer already.,surely they have to take car as scrappage even if the scheme is finished. This must be happening to other customers as well. Clarify with the dealer.

Daveclar,

Thanks for your posting.

The initial response I got from the dealer is that the Irish Revenue will only pay out for "Scrappage" if all the conditions are fully met by the end of December, that is the car is delivered to me and there is a certificate of scrappage of the old car. The dealer still says he thinks we will just make it in time.

You are right, seemingly it is happening to lots of others, so much so that the long delivery time on Skodas is pushing potential buyers away from Skoda to other brands which are either in the showrooms or with much shorter delivery times. Skoda salesmen (and women) now have real problems selling to "scrappage" customers

I suppose I could grab the only Fabia Combi that my garage has in its showrooms, but it's not got a TSI engine and I don't fancy it.

I've paid a deposit of 200 euro on the car I've ordered, by the way.

Edited by bluckaneyr

I heard about the long wait for delivery, iirc 16weeks, seems bizarre as at the peak of the boom (when I'm sure the factory was a full capacity) it was 8 weeks, so now in a recession when in theory there ain't as many cars being sold the delivery time has doubled.

Btw welcome, and hopefully you get it in time.

I heard about the long wait for delivery, iirc 16weeks, seems bizarre as at the peak of the boom (when I'm sure the factory was a full capacity) it was 8 weeks, so now in a recession when in theory there ain't as many cars being sold the delivery time has doubled.

Btw welcome, and hopefully you get it in time.

Thanks for your best wishes regarding the supply of my Fabia Combi before the end of the Irish Scrappage Scheme, Gaff.

Now you mentioned the current recession, but despite the current economic downturn, growing sales of Skoda are outstripping what they can produce, hence the delays people like me are experiencing, I suppose.

Worldwide, up to July 31st, Skoda has sold 437,260, up by 13.4 per cent compared to the same period the year before.

In China, Skoda Auto's July sales rose 54%.

A total of 3,059 new Skodas were registered in Britain last month, a year-on-year increase of 3.9 per cent which came despite the end of the UK scrappage scheme.

The great exception to this growth of market share for Skoda is in Germany, where sales in July were down 38%, year on year.

In the meantime, I bite my nails that my car will be delivered in time.

Sources-

http://www.carpages.co.uk/skoda/skoda-sales-16-08-10.asp

http://www.choicequote.co.uk/news/motortrade/motortrade_skoda-maintains-strong-2010-sales-in-july.asp

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2010/08/13/vw-unit-skoda-auto-july-sales-year/

Wow, I can't get over those increases in figures, I suppose it makes sense.

They'll need a bigger factory :giggle:

Btw which dealer are you using, PM me if you don't want to mention it online.

Edited by GAFF

Wow, I can't get over those increases in figures, I suppose it makes sense.

They'll need a bigger factory :giggle:

Btw which dealer are you using, PM me if you don't want to mention it online.

I have PM'ed you the dealer's details, Gaff.

Yes, Skoda needs to do something about its rate of production. However, I wonder how we will react if our market is soon being supplied not from the Czech Republic, but by Skoda's Russian plant at Kaluga!

Just came across this in the Octavia forum...

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/171521-late-delivery-compensation/

Skoda UK are offering compensation if delivery is more than 16 weeks, whats the bets Skoda Ireland dont :doh:

Dallan,

Thanks for that url.

From what some posters are saying there, I won't have my car in time to avail of the Irish scrappage scheme. They are talking of build times of 20 + weeks plus a further 3 + weeks for delivery to a UK garage. Ireland could take longer! That would put me into early January.

As for compo, I doubt they would compensate me the 1,500 euro for missing out on the scrappage scheme.

Thanks again for your information.

Dallan,

Thanks for that url.

From what some posters are saying there, I won't have my car in time to avail of the Irish scrappage scheme. They are talking of build times of 20 + weeks plus a further 3 + weeks for delivery to a UK garage. Ireland could take longer! That would put me into early January.

As for compo, I doubt they would compensate me the 1,500 euro for missing out on the scrappage scheme.

Thanks again for your information.

Then what about cancelling the car if it's not in on time, I suppose at the end of the day BOTH parties had an agreement and you were holding up your side of it.

Then what about cancelling the car if it's not in on time, I suppose at the end of the day BOTH parties had an agreement and you were holding up your side of it.

Since the proposed delivery date according to the garage is the 2nd week of December, it would be very late then for me to find an alternative car to buy and comply with scrappage conditions in good time before the scheme ends in December.

Since the proposed delivery date according to the garage is the 2nd week of December, it would be very late then for me to find an alternative car to buy and comply with scrappage conditions in good time before the scheme ends in December.

Called into the garage again this morning and as well as being made feel welcome, I got good news. The good news is that my car is due to be built in Week 44 and therefore it could be delivered by Week 47.

If this schedule is delivered on it would mean that I would get the car in the week beginning 22 November. That would be in very good time for the scrappage scheme which concludes end of December. Meeting that deadline is worth 1,500 euro to me. It's looking good!

• 4 weeks later...

Called into the garage again this morning and as well as being made feel welcome, I got good news. The good news is that my car is due to be built in Week 44 and therefore it could be delivered by Week 47.

If this schedule is delivered on it would mean that I would get the car in the week beginning 22 November. That would be in very good time for the scrappage scheme which concludes end of December. Meeting that deadline is worth 1,500 euro to me. It's looking good!

Checked back with garage again today, September 21st to hear that the "build week" for my Fabia Combi has slipped back from Week 44 to Week 46. Any more slippage in the "Build Week" or delay in shipping/delivery could threaten the deadline for the scrappage scheme. On the other hand, the head of sales at the garage remains confident it will work out.

I hope he's right as there is the matter of 1,500 euro hanging on it.

• 1 month later...

Checked back with garage again today, September 21st to hear that the "build week" for my Fabia Combi has slipped back from Week 44 to Week 46. Any more slippage in the "Build Week" or delay in shipping/delivery could threaten the deadline for the scrappage scheme. On the other hand, the head of sales at the garage remains confident it will work out.

I hope he's right as there is the matter of 1,500 euro hanging on it.

Just when I thought things were under control with my long-awaited Fabia - my Skoda dealer goes out of business!!!!

Today I learned that, having ordered my new Fabia Combi on Aug 3rd, got a build week of Week 44, which became Week 46 and now Week 48, now I find that my garage, Phoenix Motors of Dublin, have lost the Skoda Dealership and my salesman is out of a job.

I have been referred to Skoda Ireland, who tell me that the car WILL be build in week 48. They have also committed themselves to having it delivered to me in mid December, JUST in time for availing of the Irish scrappage scheme.

If Skoda Ireland's latest commitment to me is honoured, my car will have taken 19 weeks from the order day to delivery. I raised the matter of the compensation scheme operated by Skoda UK for orders suffering long delays in delivery. Unfortunately Skoda Ireland say that no such scheme is operating here in The Republic of Ireland.

As for my ongoing concerns about not meeting the scrappage deadline, I got oral promises from Skoda Ireland - but if they fail to meet the deadline and I can't avail of the 1,500 euro scrappage deal, what will be my situation?

Since my original garage, Phoenix Motors is no longer an option, I must now select another dealer in Dublin and nominate them to Skoda Ireland as being the garage to receive my new car and conclude the deal with. I must select between Autostation and Annesley Williams.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hmm you're not having much luck (so much for the luck of the Irish) I cant help you with the choice of garages unfortunately but i can wish you lots of GOOD luck and that everything goes smoothly from now on.

Edited by BillyT1903

Hmm you're not having much luck (so much for the luck of the Irish) I cant help you with the choice of garages unfortunately but i can wish you lots of GOOD luck and that everything goes smoothly from now on.

Thanks Billy.

Thanks also to the Irish Briskoda members who PM'ed me privately with many helpful suggestions. Your advice and information is appreciated.

As a result I have spoken to Paul Connolly of Annesley Williams and appointed Paul to see the transaction to conclusion.

As to the advice that I should obtain written commitment from Skoda Ireland that I won't suffer any financial consequences should Skoda fail to deliver the car in time for the scrappage deadline, I am afraid I must so far rely, not on a guarantee, but on their expressions of belief and hope that the car will arrive by 17th December or thereabouts.

I will update on the outcome.

• 2 months later...

Just to update you on the saga of my Fabia Combi TSI 1.2, originally ordered last August.

Since the Irish Government extended the Scrappage Scheme until 30 June 2011, I opted not to collect the car in late December 2010, but collected it on January 6th 2011 instead.

I am very pleased with my Fabia so far and I was looked after very well by Annesley Motors and by salesman Pat O'Neill in particular.

Thanks to those who offered advice throughout, particularly to the Irish members who sent me private messages on the choice of dealer. I think I made the right decision in opting for Annesley Motors in the end and I found Pat O'Neill particularly helpful.

Nice one glad you got it all sorted out in the end, its nice to hear some good news occasionally. I hope you enjoy your new Fabia as much as i enjoy my new Octy vrs.