Bicycle Carrier/Rack for Superb II Saloon

Hi,

I have being trying to get a bicycle carrier for my Superb II saloon. I do not have a hitch so the ball mounted carrier is not an option. Anyplace I have searched online does not have a carrier for Superb II.

Anyone managed to get a carrier to fit the boot door?

Thanks,

Anthony.....

• 9 months later...

I would still suggest getting a tow bar fitted. Ball-mounted carriers in my experience are much more stable and worth it if you will be using it frequently. My work colleague went down this route, approx. £300 for towbar and £200 for decent carrier. So not cheap, but worth it imho in the long run.

I use Thule roofbars and bikeholders- my bars, feet and holders are now 15 years old, bought new adaptor kit for under £30 when I got my Superb last month. As a long term investment I dont think these can be beat. Also means bikdes are very secure and you can still access boot,

I use Thule roofbars and bikeholders- my bars, feet and holders are now 15 years old, bought new adaptor kit for under £30 when I got my Superb last month. As a long term investment I dont think these can be beat. Also means bikdes are very secure and you can still access boot,

I agree. A set of Thule bars and footpack is well worth considering. The footpack is universal and simply requires the purchase of a differnet fitting kit if you change vehicle. eBay is often worth investigating as people often sell little used bars/footpacks.

Thule cycle carriers are easy to use, secure and well made. I have two 'Tour' model cycle carriers which accommodate 700c or 26 inch wheeled cycles with ease.

Hi,

I had a tow bar on my previous Superb II and it caused untold problems with one of the reversing sensors, hence I did not get one on this car.

How easily fitted and removed are roof racks?

I would only need to transport a bike now and again. The weather here is so bad now that I will be doing well if I get out at all :'(

Thanks,

Anthony.....

Always used a Halfords universal bike carrier, had it for years, been on everything including Vauxhall Senator, Rover 216, Sierra hatch and estate, Mondeo Hatch and estate SAAB 95 estate, Jag Xtype etc. Folds flat to hang up in the garage when not in use. If you only want it for occasional use there good and no hassle iif you change the car.

Why not use the original roofbars ??

I use them on my Combi, but I know they are also available for the Salon. I have combined it with VW's bike carriers and they are excellent. The bike stands better than on the Thule.

Imho roof racks are a pain in the rear getting the bikes on and off. My tow bar is detachable, only have it fitted when I use the bike carrier. Bike carrier allows bikes to easily slide away from the boot, giving easy access.

However, as you'll only use it occassionally, no point overspending - go with cheaper carrier that clips onto boot (less stable, but does the job).

Just a point to bear in mind if you take your bike across the Channel.

Ferry companies and Eurotunnel charge extra for bike carriers.

Brittany Ferries:

Rear mounted cycle carrier: £10 return

Overall height inc. roof mounted cycle carrier up to 1.79m: No charge

Overall height inc. roof mounted cycle carrier up to 2.59m: £44 return

Overall height inc. roof mounted cycle carrier over 2.6m: £68 return

P&O & Eurotunnel:

Don't make a charge as such but you must book correct height in order to get vehicle placed in right area. Eurotunnel wont allow anything over 2.6m in overall height (without a massive supplement!)

Phil