2.0 PD Poor Fiuel Consumption?

Since you're doing low mileage in a year, there is a high chance that it will involve a lot of cold starts and short journeys where the engine isn't up to temp for 30 minutes+.

That helps to drive off water etc and also when warm is easier on the oil for starting as a warm engine creates less crud.

Sounds to me like you've done exactly the right thing to ask for a 12 month change.

What you could do is if the car has a DPF get them to do the service with Long Life oil and a new filter, then reset the variable indicator.

That way you have the option to have it done again in a year or run longer if you like.

TBH the variable MPG drop is no worse than the sort of drop you get with dirty oil on any car, and it's just a little happier and a touch more MPG than on the dirty oil.

Minimoke - in amongst all of this; sorry if I'm going over old ground - are your poor MPG observations via the on-board computer readout or by doing a proper 'brim to brim'

consumption calculation, or indeed both?

Sounds best that you've gone to fixed servicing though :thumbup:

Steve

Minimoke - in amongst all of this; sorry if I'm going over old ground - are your poor MPG observations via the on-board computer readout or by doing a proper 'brim to brim'

consumption calculation, or indeed both?

Sounds best that you've gone to fixed servicing though :thumbup:

Steve

Hi....I'm doing it the lazy way via the computer.

On a long motorway run from Crawley to leicester I get around 48-50mpg (70mph-ish), but in town it drops to low 30s. Best I ever got was 62mpg, pure motorway sat behind a lorry the entire way as fuel light was on but didn't want to stop till i got home! :D

unless everybody states whether their mpg figures are from the computer or "brim to brim" it's pretty hard compare.

my trip computer is more of a random number generator than an accurate reflection of fuel consumption.

Hi....I'm doing it the lazy way via the computer.

It would be good to do some comparisons by doing it the 'proper' way then, just to see - it may be that the computer is setup badly (some have been shown to be a lot better than others, and the 'fuzzy logic' calc can be adjusted via VCDS).

Fill upto 'click', then you could do a few journeys, even just your usual daily route, then fill up again to the 'click' and you'll be able to see how many miles you got for that amount of fuel. Then compare that manual calc against what the on-board computer says :yes:

Cheers,

Steve

Definitely worth calculating the accuracy of the computer.

My 05 Octavia 2.0 PD was over stating by nearly 19% :o

Got Ben at Sharkperformance to correct it when I got my remap although it was so far out that it fell outside the maximum allowable adjustment factor he could enter.

I manage to get about 52 -55 on the motorway, even managed 59.4 on a recent run to North Wales from Salisbury, ok the M6 was only doing 60mph from Brum to Nantwich!!! but i still do about 80 on cruise control.

Round town i'll get 45 - 50. Just wish my Fabia did the same mpg as thats my commuter car!!

It would be good to do some comparisons by doing it the 'proper' way then, just to see - it may be that the computer is setup badly (some have been shown to be a lot better than others, and the 'fuzzy logic' calc can be adjusted via VCDS).

Fill upto 'click', then you could do a few journeys, even just your usual daily route, then fill up again to the 'click' and you'll be able to see how many miles you got for that amount of fuel. Then compare that manual calc against what the on-board computer says :yes:

Cheers,

Steve

Hi,

I know you are right, but..........Problem is that sometimes I cannot get the car filled up due to the cut out operating prematurely. Back pressue in the tank? It is not reliable and I cannot bother to keep moving from petrol station to petrol station. The worse instance was about 3 weeks ago when I had a half full tank - I could barely get about 3 litres into it. This was a bit embarrasing at the pay kiosk! I've only managed to get it filled about about half a dozen times aover the past year.

I posted about that problem on the forum a while ago and several others reported the same happening to them. I've just learned to live with it - a bit like my wifes original Fabia 1 where the boot would not open (from day 1 this was) unless you opened the offside rear passenger door first. Skoda dealers gave up trying to fix that one! And I didn't push the issue as the car always was plagued with minor electrical gremlins like that but ran perfectly.

Regards

Hi:

You all convinced me to try the “brim to brim†method which I did this morning as an experiment.

I managed to completely fill the car at both start and finish of the trip despite the usual problems with premature cut out of the pump filler – it needed a lot of patience so apologies to anybody caught in a queue behind a bloke in an Octavia at Sainsbury’s petrol station this morning!

Engine was warmed up before the trial, and tyre pressures were checked. I then drove 46 miles along the A21/M25 at a steady 55-65mph for most of the way. I drove as gently as traffic conditions sensibly allowed.

The trip reported an average mpg of 43.3mpg over the 46 miles. But the “brim to brim†method came out at 56mpg !!

So that’s more like the mpg I have been expecting, but thats a crazy difference in results so now raises the question – how can the trip be so far out?

Have you tried rotatating the filler nozzle by ~90°? Works for me if I'm getting premature trips.

I assume you went back to the same pump for the brim to brim check? Excellent mpg if so.

Oh excellent! That sounds a bit more like it :yes:

Now you just need someone nearby who will kindly adjust the logic on the trip computer for you, via VAG-COM/VCDS :thumbup:

As for the fill-up issue, I find on the Octy that you need to bring the nozzle out by about 1cm when filling - compared with using the same local pumps when I had the Fabia. As mentioned, just try moving it out slightly and possibly rotating, until it fills at a reasonable speed. I've not had problems with it cutting out.

Steve