should i sell for e36 m3?

ok got this real bad itch for a m3,i used to own a 328i when i was 22,im now 35 and really fancy a m3,problem with the evo's vanos are a bit off putting,but the 3.0 litres seem pretty buillet proof.ive own most hot hatches and scoobs but feel it needs done.lol,the problem is my vrs has never once caused me any hassle,would a high mileage m3 be opening a can of worms?an ex m3 owner info would be greatly appreciated.

I was in the same boat as you mate, problem I found was if you went cheap for an M3 you got a rusty shagged dog, you need to spend extra to get a low owner, low mileage FSH car. I also was looking at the 3.0 as they seem to have less issues than the EVO. I was recently tempted by this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150483040250 but the running costs and poor mpg put me off TBH.

IMO cheap high end BMW's should be avoided like the plague, they are cheap for a reason! usually they have been driven within an inch of it's life and/or crashed.

If you want a M3 then get a molested low mileage car.

I have previously owned:

Several E30's including a M3, E36 323i Coupe etc - which I sold for a MKI Octavia Elegance, whilst the 323 was a great car the Octavia was a better, more practical car for me, do i regret selling the BM's? nope!

I've owned 2 E36 M3s and as a few earlier posts have indicated you will not get a nice clean low mileage car for the kind of price you could sell a MK1 Octavia RS. E36 M3's need to be properly maintained and service costs are big, especially the inspection 2, circa £350 just for the service. Insurance is much steeper too as a group 20 car and then the mpg you will get will be about 7-10 mpg less than your RS.

The M3 is a serious performance car that will outrun almost anything other than go kart type cars and cars that cost stupid money, and many are now in the hands of individuals who have no idea what it takes to keep one in top condition and think they can just do an oil change every 6 months and get their local indy to have a look at it when something doesn't seem to work quite right.

Saying that the vanos isn't or shouldn't be a reason not to buy. There was a few years when BMW were charging a couple of grand to replace them just because they started to get a little noisy, only for the M3 technician i knew to state that they will get noisy with age...so what, they still work and so lots of vanos's got replaced completely unnecessarily.

Basically i suppose the question should be how much can you afford on insurance, higher fuel costs and servicing, because unless you are sensible budgeting for all of these things, you will end up selling again after you realise you cannot afford to keep her, or worse still, ruin the car through poor maintenance. If you can afford it, then i would recommend them, buy contrary to some opinions, i didn't like the cabriolet (more squeaking that a house full of mice and more maintenance costs when the mechanism fails), and i did like the SMG 1 box and the saloon by all accounts is the best one of all in terms of handling, but rarer than hen's teeth and most have big mileage.

I've owned 2 E36 M3s and as a few earlier posts have indicated you will not get a nice clean low mileage car for the kind of price you could sell a MK1 Octavia RS. E36 M3's need to be properly maintained and service costs are big, especially the inspection 2, circa £350 just for the service. Insurance is much steeper too as a group 20 car and then the mpg you will get will be about 7-10 mpg less than your RS.

The M3 is a serious performance car that will outrun almost anything other than go kart type cars and cars that cost stupid money, and many are now in the hands of individuals who have no idea what it takes to keep one in top condition and think they can just do an oil change every 6 months and get their local indy to have a look at it when something doesn't seem to work quite right.

Saying that the vanos isn't or shouldn't be a reason not to buy. There was a few years when BMW were charging a couple of grand to replace them just because they started to get a little noisy, only for the M3 technician i knew to state that they will get noisy with age...so what, they still work and so lots of vanos's got replaced completely unnecessarily.

Basically i suppose the question should be how much can you afford on insurance, higher fuel costs and servicing, because unless you are sensible budgeting for all of these things, you will end up selling again after you realise you cannot afford to keep her, or worse still, ruin the car through poor maintenance. If you can afford it, then i would recommend them, buy contrary to some opinions, i didn't like the cabriolet (more squeaking that a house full of mice and more maintenance costs when the mechanism fails), and i did like the SMG 1 box and the saloon by all accounts is the best one of all in terms of handling, but rarer than hen's teeth and most have big mileage.

cheers for the informed reply u have seriously made me think twice,coming from a scooby maintance and fuel costs took the ****.thanks for the input folks.

Great summary there and the very reason i did not go for a M3.

Most of us probably wanted one of these are some point because they are a awesome car.

I always wanted a RS500 cossy but the reality of running one and keeping it maintained was a concern, Still want a RS focus though( old style one)

After owning a number of scooby's and finding them a dent in the wallet the M3 will probably be just as much a dent or more.

The M3 is a hard car to beat and rear wheel drive as well..

yup not really fair comparison of car,

frankly a well maintained m3 would run rings around a standard octavia, just no comparison, just as stated too many thrashed cars out there, if you could get a good one though....i would be tempted for sure!

yup not really fair comparison of car,

frankly a well maintained m3 would run rings around a standard octavia, just no comparison, just as stated too many thrashed cars out there, if you could get a good one though....i would be tempted for sure!

Two that i had. It isn't getting something nice that is hard nowadays, it is being able to hold onto it. :thumbdown:

post-57156-12830241770319_thumb.jpg

post-57156-12830242565054_thumb.jpg

I have a e36 M3 and really I prefer the VRS on the road , I am tempted to convert it to a track toy and that would mean ( among other things) removing the leather vader seats which are a pain as you slide all over on them during spirited ;) cornering , my plans are on hold at the moment due to a lack of ££ , but the car is tucked up in the garage waiting for me to start ripping some weight out of it and otherwise prepping it up . :)

And the seats were not that comfy either if you were a larger thqan average sized person.

There were some models without leather though as it was an extra that cost a few grand.

Sounds like you're gonna have some serious fun when your car is finished. :yes: