maf

Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with their maf (mass airflow meter). I dont know if its just my perception of low down accelleration or whether there is a problem, but after towing my caravan for the first time the car doesnt seem as responsive at low revs below 2000 rpm. (I know towing wouldnt cause a problem with the maf). I previously had a rover 45 with a maf problem and it exhibited the same symptoms except the rover wouldnt rev above 4200 rpm where as the superb will rev all the way round to the red line. For info its the 1.9 awx engine.

Thanks

Check the wiring loom next to the air box, the wires have been known to wear through, thats what happened to ours mechanic cut the bad bits out and soldered in some new bits taped them up and moved them to a safer place no more problems

Check that all the hoses are connected on the bulk head

Unplugged the maf and this made no difference. The car is ok in first but at low revs even in second it takes longer to pick up, and when in fifth its like driving a car with what I can only describe as turbo lag. Also where before it would hold its speed or even accelerate in fifth on an incline it will either stay at the same speed when you try to accelerate or if even lose speed. If you drive staying above 2000 rpm its fine, there is no extra smoke, and when it went for the mot yesterday the smoke test reading was well within tolerances. Will check the wires as mentioned, which hoses are you referring to Skippy41?

Edited by gixersix

Will be watching this thread with interest as mine is doing this exact same prob, had a new fuel filter fitted and the car ran like new for 3 days then went back to these symptoms.

thanks for the advice, i got the filter changed about a thousand miles ago so its like new, ive tried inj cleaner but to no avail. i was speaking to someone who said it might be the airflow meter or something like an n96 or n97 valve ive never heard of this but he says his mates octavia needed it after showing symptoms like min. going on holiday tomorrow for 2 weeks so will report back when i get back and have it looked over at a garage if i manage to get it fixed and what it was. just wonder how expensive an airflow meter is? not to worry the cars only ever needed a clutch and flywheel in its entire life apart from brake pads and discs oh and lots and lots of tyres! :)

Will be trying a new fuel filter as its about 19k since this was changed and checking the airfilter to see if this needs changing but dont think it will as I dont have any extra smoke which would indicate too much fuel/not enough air. N97 valve is I beleive a Throttle Position Actuator Vent Valve. On mine I would discount this as it pulls ok in 1st, and unless someone can tell me any different I beleive this would cause the symptoms irrespective of which gear I'm in.

If it was slow accelleration in all gears then I would personally go for the MAF but as previously said its ok in 1st and theres no difference with it unplugged.

Having said all this, I was driving to work this morning, 1st day back after 2 weeks off, and after 150 miles of motorway the car did appear to be back to its normal good accelleration below 2000rpm. Will check again tonight and post my findings in the morning.

Edited by gixersix

• 3 weeks later...

update. Still no improvement on the low down accelleration. I encountered a new problem yesterday. On way back from buying a fuel filter from skoda found that the engine had no boost. Checked the pipes for splits etc. Everythings ok. Change the fuel filter, take it out for a test drive, the boost is back but still no low down improvement. This pattern of boost/no boost keeps occuring with no obvious pattern. Will hopefully be getting it on the diagnostic sometime next week.

Edited by gixersix

• 4 weeks later...

Had it on the diagnostic and its showing negative boost pressure. One of the pipes was showing a small leak but not enough to cause the problem I'm experiencing but I changed it anyway and it made no difference. Same low down lack of power which increases in severity as you progress through the box 1st & 2nd are OK and the boost wont cut. 3rd if the hill is steep enough the boost will cut out and emissions workshop will show, same with 4th and 5th. Resets when the ignition is switched off then back on. Its not the same symptoms as a duff maf. When it was in for a service at DSB in Nottingham, Dave used a cleaner in the turbo. It cleans the soot from the veins, and although it has not completely cured the problem it has improved it. Will hopefully be removing the turbo this weekend and striping it down as the veins may be stuck in the wide open position, hence it feeling like a car with turbo lag. Just to add there are no split pipes etc.

Edited by gixersix