Steering wheel controls – to have or not have..

I mentioned in another thread that I’m a recent Octavia convert and I’m collecting my (nearly) new Octavia Elegance Estate tomorrow – can’t wait!!

I was very impressed with the equipment provided throughout the car, but there’s one thing missing that’s causing a gripe with my other half (who will probably have the fun of driving it most of the time ïŒ ): No steering wheel controls!

It seems strange that, given the extensive equipment that comes as standard, and the fact that the Elegance isn’t exactly the base model, steering wheel controls for the Bolero aren’t standard (as they seem to be on may other brands these days)!?

I’m not particularly bothered – my old Seat doesn’t have them and it’s not exactly exerting huge effort to use the controls on the raido itself!

However, my o/h has to deliver 2 toddlers to a nursery every day, so its endlessly shuffling nursery rhymes on the cd player to keep the little terrors happy – so steering wheel controls make things a LOT easier for her.

Anyone know if you can get the mulit function steering wheel rretrofitted into the car? As an aside, I’d been after a maxi-dot too and I was wondering if they were fitted as a pair?

I'd speak to Ben at Shark performance (shark_90) a site sponsor , he has done maxidot retrofits and multi function steering wheels too I believe, he has a good reputaition for his standard of workmanship and should be able to fit both and code them into the car at the same time to get them working.

Ian

I agree, it makes no sense to me at all.

It may seem trivial but after experiencing and enjoying all three features I won't buy another car without a multi function steering wheel (MFSW), xenons or rear park distance control (PDC).

In this day and age a MFSW or at least remote stereo controls are the norm on almost all cars, especially medium/large family cars such as the Octavia.

I have been looking for some time at either another Scout or a vRS to replace our second car - an ageing Peugeot.

I've only ever seen one vRS with a MFSW and that was a 2010 model with DSG. The MFSW on the Scout is an optional extra together with Maxidot, which hardly any have.

I appreciate Skoda are a budget brand which means we loose the VAG shared bling such as the damped grab handles, gas bonnet strut, sound proofing etc. etc. but to not even offer a MFSW on the vRS as a cost option is just stupid!

I mentioned in another thread that I’m a recent Octavia convert and I’m collecting my (nearly) new Octavia Elegance Estate tomorrow – can’t wait!!

I was very impressed with the equipment provided throughout the car, but there’s one thing missing that’s causing a gripe with my other half (who will probably have the fun of driving it most of the time ïŒ ): No steering wheel controls!

It seems strange that, given the extensive equipment that comes as standard, and the fact that the Elegance isn’t exactly the base model, steering wheel controls for the Bolero aren’t standard (as they seem to be on may other brands these days)!?

I’m not particularly bothered – my old Seat doesn’t have them and it’s not exactly exerting huge effort to use the controls on the raido itself!

However, my o/h has to deliver 2 toddlers to a nursery every day, so its endlessly shuffling nursery rhymes on the cd player to keep the little terrors happy – so steering wheel controls make things a LOT easier for her.

Anyone know if you can get the mulit function steering wheel rretrofitted into the car? As an aside, I’d been after a maxi-dot too and I was wondering if they were fitted as a pair?

I had them on my Xtrail and only used them for Music and Cruise control. On my 2010 Scout the cruise is on the stalk, and the Bolero is a touch screen, so I dont think they are required on the Scout, also the maxidot is of no real value to me, as the basic display gives me more than I reqiure.

I have the maxi dot and the MFSW and mine is a 2006 Elegance and I am sure they came as a pair. I could live without the MFSW, but the maxi dot imo, is priceless and certainly is cosmetically pleasing too.

MFSW can be retrofitted - Ben at Shark performance did mine for me. :thumbup:

Sarge.

I've only just started looking at an Octavia VRs for my wife (currently have our fist Skoda Superb Elegance on order, due in November).

Does the VRS 140CR have a multifuntion steering, because on the Skoda configuration, looks like it is only available with DSG. My wife wants a manual gearbox, but would like multi function steering wheel with the phone connection to as is standard on the Superb Elegance.

So is this available on the VRs and I'am just looking in the wrong places to find it?

Thanks