Rear bumper

We go camping a lot & the top of the rear bumper was starting to look a mess. Bought a plastic protector plate that sticks with trim tape & secures to the bumpers top 2 Torx screws under the tailgate. Not a big fan of grey plastic, but it matches the trim on the doors/sills & looks a lot better than the scratches in the paint.

Picture197.jpg

Picture194.jpg

There are 2 different types, the one for cars with parking sensors is a little smaller than mine.

That syle (size) of protector would successfully cover the scuff we inflicted ours during a trip to Ikea. Problem is though that the car has reversing sensors and Skoda advise fitting the narrower design of protector so as not to interfere with the rev sensors. Needless to say this narrow one won't cover the scuffmark.

I'm tempted to opt for the one shown in the photos regardless and see if I can get away with it. The sensors after all are on the vertical face of the bumper and I doubt if they would "see" the extra layer of ABS on the top of the bumper.

Last time I checked they were around 40 quid - seems a lot for an uncomplicated ABS moulding.

That syle (size) of protector would successfully cover the scuff we inflicted ours during a trip to Ikea. Problem is though that the car has reversing sensors and Skoda advise fitting the narrower design of protector so as not to interfere with the rev sensors. Needless to say this narrow one won't cover the scuffmark.

I'm tempted to opt for the one shown in the photos regardless and see if I can get away with it. The sensors after all are on the vertical face of the bumper and I doubt if they would "see" the extra layer of ABS on the top of the bumper.

Last time I checked they were around 40 quid - seems a lot for an uncomplicated ABS moulding.

My dealer said he had fitted the one that's not advised for parking sensors to cars with them and they seemed to work OK. I didn't want to take the chance so I ordered the narrow one but I don't understand why it doesn't cover the whole of the bumper top.

It cost about £25 but then I found I'd need adhesive at over £20. In the end the dealer fitted it and charged me £15.

Thanks for that Calomax. Think i'll give it a go.

I'll offer the full sized one up and temporarily fit it (double sided tape) and see if the rev sensors go ape or not.

If they do then I'll recycle the protector onto the wifes Roomster as hers doesn't have any sensors fitted.

As far as adhesive goes I would think Sikkoflex should do the job well enough - it seems to hold plenty of other cars together, and was only about £8 last time I checked it out.

^^^

Thanks for that Stephen.

It's on the list of things to do when I get off the rig later this week (as well as paint the house, repair the boiler, renew the radiators, service the cars, yada yada yada - I only come to work for a rest !)

We go camping a lot & the top of the rear bumper was starting to look a mess. Bought a plastic protector plate that sticks with trim tape & secures to the bumpers top 2 Torx screws under the tailgate. Not a big fan of grey plastic, but it matches the trim on the doors/sills & looks a lot better than the scratches in the paint.

Picture197.jpg

Picture194.jpg

There are 2 different types, the one for cars with parking sensors is a little smaller than mine.

• 6 months later...