Mutual Respect?

Lee

I was pounding the M25 over the weekend, albeit at a respectable speed, when I saw a new Fabia vRS in that still-haven't-decided-green looming in the mirrors.

He pulled out, slowed to equal my speed, we looked at each other and gave a brief smile and nod then he floored it into the distance. From this I assume:

1. He used to be a Mk1 vRS owner who recognised the virtues but had decided to upgrade to the latest model or

2. He'd upgraded and was missing the torque of the diesel so had to demonstrate the high-revving 1.4 and seven speed gearbox in the best way he could!

I was pounding the M25 over the weekend, albeit at a respectable speed, when I saw a new Fabia vRS in that still-haven't-decided-green looming in the mirrors.

He pulled out, slowed to equal my speed, we looked at each other and gave a brief smile and nod then he floored it into the distance. From this I assume:

1. He used to be a Mk1 vRS owner who recognised the virtues but had decided to upgrade to the latest model or

2. He'd upgraded and was missing the torque of the diesel so had to demonstrate the high-revving 1.4 and seven speed gearbox in the best way he could!

I was not in the VRS, but in my Z4 yesterday on the M6..

I saw a pristine E36 325i out my rear view mirror. As we came level, he slowed down and there was a mutual nod of respect, and off he went...

Could be to do with the fact it was a BMW or to do with the nurburgring (I have the sticker on my Z4 when i visited it lastyear)...

I even got a thumbs up from a guy in an F430 which left me bemused a few months back.... :p Top guy!

Edited by Beancounter1980

Maybe he wanted to say hello but was in a hurry? Obviously polite being as he slowed down and gave you a nod. Maybe he thought you would be interested in seeing the performance of the new vRS? I wouldn't worry, just ask him what his mpg is :giggle:

going down the M606 yesterday had a 1.4 i think fabia mk1 in front 3 young lads in it stuck to the glass looking at the FMIC im geussing stayed there for a few mins then moved over to let me pass i smiled as i went past and got a thumbs up :thumbup:

I get a lot of that in the VR6 and I also get all ages stopping to say hello as they're walking past.

It used to make me paranoid when I first got it but I still never understood why as the car is lowered a little but otherwise standard looking. It's as subtle looking as hot hatches go.

mine is remaped and i have driven a MK2 VRS and i felt mine would still have the edge

NOT A CHANCE!!!

My old Fabia vRS was remapped (AmD One Click) and was damned quick but the new one will leave it for dead!!

So impressed..we ordered one for the wife

how would a remapped mk1 vrs compare to a mk2 vrs?

Well a remapped mk1 vrs would have roughly the same BHP but more then 100 fl lbs of torque extra so in theroy if you can do some rapid perfect shifts (like that dam DSG box) you could indeed take him (like a king)

Well a remapped mk1 vrs would have roughly the same BHP but more then 100 fl lbs of torque extra so in theroy if you can do some rapid perfect shifts (like that dam DSG box) you could indeed take him (like a king)

what do ya mean by rapid perfect shifts? lol like the perfect rpm to change at to get the most power or just as quickly as possible? lol

love the "like a king" lol

I get a lot of that in the VR6 and I also get all ages stopping to say hello as they're walking past.

It used to make me paranoid when I first got it but I still never understood why as the car is lowered a little but otherwise standard looking. It's as subtle looking as hot hatches go.

This is definitely out of the blue, but I had a dabble with a VR6 on the motorway on Sunday and sat behind him up to erm 'legal' speeds (for a track). It wasn't you was it??

I think it'd be very close. My friend has a brand new Ibiza on order with the 1.4TSi engine, so i'm gonna see what it's like in comparison to mine when it arrives!

So pretty much identical to mk 1. Be pretty close id say :)

Me too

Why the heck is the mk 2 so heavy when it's a 1.4 petrol engine?! What have they done to it?! Lined it with lead?!

100KG lighter than MK1, but lacks the torque. I think it'd be even stevens tbh

It's only a matter of time till someone sets up a drag race

and sticks a vid on you tube.

I think a circa 180bhp mapped mark1 vs a standard mark 2

would probably be a very close thing.

But standard mark 1 VS standard mark 2?

Can't see why they'd make the new one slower :no:

At that price nobody would buy it if it wasn't better.

if you're talking about racing, both going flat out then I don't reckon the extra torque would be enough of a difference maker

It would be close in terms of who crosses the line first, but the drive comparision would be huge! Longer rev range, no turbo lag compared to sudden turbo spikes. Lets just say i dont thonk they would be side by side on a strip, but would probably end up with similar times