code reader

bobh

Hi skoda peeps

for the first time in 3 years, I have a warning light on the furby

does anyone know if those code readers from e-bay are any good?

Fault code reader for Skoda Fabia, Octavia 1996 to 2010

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160476523609&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Item Id: 160476523609

End time: 13-Sep-10 11:15:19 BST

Seller:

sitereams (2731 )

Thought i had put a picture there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wonder:

Hi skoda peeps

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...E:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Seller:

sitereams (2731 )

Not personally tried one of those but I have got one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VCDS-Lite-VAG-VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda-Diagnostics-Interface-/220666099588?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3360b97784#ht_1636wt_1137

It does fault code scanning plus a bit more, just need to goto Ross Wiki I believe to check what the fault code refers to, although it will give you a rough idea with the tool.

Hope that helps.

Rio

Nope, you'll need proper vag com

THIS ONE states "Activation - supported component activation" and "Basic Settings - view and change control module defaults (Ex 1.8T and newer)" - does that cover it?

Hi skoda peeps

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160476523609&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Seller:

sitereams (2731 )

That is a proper GENDAN VAG code reader, maybe look on www.gendan.co.uk to find out more and compare their current price delivered, I bought one just to have in the car - just in case, it works okay, just make sure that you find (free) a complete VAG specific codes listing on the web to supplement the incomplete listing that gets issued with that item (well at least that was the case with mine) - about five of the first codes found on friends cars were not on the listing (a bit embarrassing) - but tat was solved by trawling the web!

Edited by rum4mo

Although on the Gendan site it states the following.

Reads Diagnostic fault codes (DTCs) from Engine, Automatic Transmission (AT), Anti-lock braking system (ABS) and air bag (SRS)

Clear/Erase Trouble Codes and switch off warning lines

Diagnostic Trouble Code definition table in manual (included)

Works with VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda cars with a 16-pin diagnostic socket

Simple to operate

Easy to read backlit 2-line LCD display

55cm extension cable

Instruction Manual (included)

Small, light-weight, compact design (11cm x 7cm x 2cm)

Power directly supplied by diagnostic socket (no batteries required)

12 Month Warranty

Even supports new CAN protocol cars (many models from 2003 on) - many code readers on the market do not support the CAN protocol

Includes soft black carry case

It does not mention any auxillary functions, so can you actually select and switch on the unlocking door 'Bleep' with this unit ? Can anyone vouch for this.

Thanks in anticipation.

DB.

It does not mention any auxillary functions, so can you actually select and switch on the unlocking door 'Bleep' with this unit ? Can anyone vouch for this.

Thanks in anticipation.

DB.

No, pretty sure they can't change settings, only fault code related stuff. Might be able to get a dealer to do it when it goes in for a service or something if you ask nicely though.

Edited by TriggerFish

That is a proper GENDAN VAG code reader, maybe look on www.gendan.co.uk to find out more and compare their current price delivered, I bought one just to have in the car - just in case, it works okay, just make sure that you find (free) a complete VAG specific codes listing on the web to supplement the incomplete listing that gets issued with that item (well at least that was the case with mine) - about five of the first codes found on friends cars were not on the listing (a bit embarrassing) - but tat was solved by trawling the web!