Where to get a resonable socket set/tools from?

Aaquil

Any ideas on where to get a socket set from to do basics on my Octy? I plan to do a quick shift linkage, air filter fit, rear wiper, and window regulator/motor fit for now. Should I pop down to 'Halfrauds' or any website suggestions for a good deal? What else would I need other than the socket set. What do I use to get the large clips off the airbox plastic pipe?

Thanks to all...

It all depends how much you want to pay as far as what socket set to get - there's a couple of threads like this going on right now, as it happens. Locking pliers (a.k.a. mole grips) do the job for air hose clips, but whether there's a "proper" tool for this job, I don't know...

Halfords Pro stuff is brilliant - I'd almost go as far as to say as good as Snap-On.

They had an offer on when I was in there last week, socket set for about £49 and larger socket set with spanners and some other bits for £99

Edited by chicken_eyebrow

When buying tools,remember the old saying, Your cheapest tool could work out to be your most expensive. Halfords Pro is defo top quality for the money.

Edited by roman.w

I got a 1/2 inch Britool set from screwfix (or possibly toolstation) about a year ago while it was on offer for around 50-60 quid. Won't do everything as you still need 8, 10 and 13 mm spanners for a few bits, I mainly got it to use the sockets with my dad's torque wrench but it seems really well made and is quite clever in a lot of respects. Might be worth a look.

It seems tools of this type never really depreciate in value so it's keeping an eye out for offers from screwfix/toolstations/halfords unless you're in a great rush.

Agree for the Halfords Professional particularly the large (150 piece?) set. Occasionally they do an offer on it.

I got a 180 piece set on offer 6 or 7 years ago, I think it was end of the line at the time. Here we are 6 odd years later and I have done a hell a lot of work on mine, and others, cars and the set is still in A1 condition. Apart from the 17mm impact socket I lost :( I got a load of other gear to, some of the newer stuff I have is labled 'Halfords Advanced' I assume thats some kind of re-branding?

It all depends how much you want to pay as far as what socket set to get - there's a couple of threads like this going on right now, as it happens. Locking pliers (a.k.a. mole grips) do the job for air hose clips, but whether there's a "proper" tool for this job, I don't know...

Yes there is, cant remember which make mine is but its got a long flexi neck to get into tight spaces with a trigger style handle, it makes it soooooo much easier, and safer than me nearly taking my angle grinder to the water pump pipe clip on my mk2 golf.

Costs bout £25ish though, i got it from GSF thinking about it too.

i'm another halfrogs pro convert, i have a lot of their stuff and have had my large 150 piece set literally for ten years now and havent broken a piece yet.

To be honest havent found anything as good for the money, yes teng and snap-on is great, but its sooooo expensive for the average diyer.

These were on offer (150 piece sets) for £100 last week, also getting a trade card helps or finding a friend who has one to get you a kit on their card.

Looks good but my next project was fitting a regulator which got delivered from a sound guy who was selling parts off a VRS. Opened the box and have lost my bottle... maybe get my mate to fit it as origiinally decided. I wat to try it but am worried I will break something or make the problem worse!!!

Edited by Aaquil