ABS - Is there a known answer?

derri

Friends, Romans, Skoda people lend me your thoughts. :'(

I'm trying to gradually work through my long, long list of problems with my 2004 Tdi Fabia Saloon/hatch back.

Now on the ABS.

I've read countless pointers to the solutions to the ABS warning light on the dashboard.

The ABS is accompanied by engine management and the one beteween the 2 lights.

So far I've, removed fuse 6 on the battery cover, gave this a very good clean with emery paper.

Found the ABS bits under the bonnet on the on the near side and off side. All looks ok. I've waggled the wire around nearby.

I've had the ABS light put on a 'machine' and had the off side rear sensor replaced; still causing an issue; and removed.

The BIG Skoda garage want to charge £50 + VAT just to check using their 'magic machine'.

The BIG Skoda garage will then replace every item possbible causing the problem until they run out of ideas and maybe costing me 1000's of £'s.

Can anyone help solve?

It would be nice to move on to the easier bits on my list.

Many thanks in advance.

All advice welcome.

Thanks for that.

Anyone near Plymouth or the eastern side of Coventry?

You can buy a version of vag com for around £10 on ebay that would tell you the fault :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VCDS-Lite-VAG-VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda-Diagnostics-

Interface_W0QQitemZ220666099588QQihZ012QQcategoryZ30921QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ht_1636wt_1137

That's the one I bought if it helps.

We recently took a Fabia in with an ABS light on. Basically the previous owner had all the wheel sensors replaced and the control unit sent away to be checked and it was pronounced OK. They got fed up of it and traded it in.

I put VCDS on it and it was showing faults with 3 wheel speed sensors. The wiring loom had been freshly taped up and it was dry, carried out a continuity check on the sensor wires at the ABS ECU plug and they were OK. We cured it by changing the ECU/valve block assembly.

This was the second Fabia that I have seen showing faults on 3 of the 4 wheel speed sensors, the owner of the first one didn't want to spend the money. These were both older 16 valve Elegance models.

Without the fault codes it would have been very dificult to diagnose, also live data such as wheel speed readings for each sensor is useful.

You can buy a version of vag com for around £10 on ebay that would tell you the fault :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VCDS-Lite-VAG-VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda-Diagnostics-

Interface_W0QQitemZ220666099588QQihZ012QQcategoryZ30921QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ht_1636wt_1137

That's the one I bought if it helps.

Hi RIO or other,

Does this £15 item from EBAY really show the problems. I thought it was just the cable I was buying.

Is there no hidden catch, like buying a license or something additional?

If not I'll be adding to a growing list of tools required to own a Skoda :yes:

Thanks

Hi RIO or other,

Does this £15 item from EBAY really show the problems. I thought it was just the cable I was buying.

Thanks

Not like me at all, but I bought one from Ebay.

Temptation, something I can never resist.

I will let you know how well I perform with new faggled gadget.

When I got the thediagnostic software, VAG COM (Now VCDS), from this site:-

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/

It was free to download and they made their money by selling you the cable @ £150

Now with the proliferation of copy cables on E-bay, not sure what the situation is. Looks like the software download is still free. So once you got the cable and the software, all you need is a laptop or a desktop in your garage to run it.

The advantage of the diagnostic software over a straight reader is that it gives you the opportunity, need arising, to alter set-up values.

Nick

Hi RIO or other,

Thanks

No hidden catch however it comes with a lite version, so you can't get into the more complex settings but by the sound of it you don't need/want it for that anyway.

Just be aware that a copy VAG-COM cable may not allow you to access all the modules. I can't connect to the central convenience module with mine, for instance. Again, it probably won't be a concern for you!

I agree with Fordfan, it needs diagnosis.

Blundering around poking and checking things isnt diagnosis. Quite a few simple checks can quite easily identify a problem. Not all of us are idiots who chucks parts at cars to fix them.

Maybe 80quid spent at dealer for diagnosis would be good VFM if it correctly identifies a problem and a solution.

All

Thanks for all that info, I'll at least give it a go.

I started reading car mechanics a while back too, just realised I perhaps should have read some of them a little deeper.

Derri

• 2 weeks later...

All

Thanks for all that info, I'll at least give it a go.

I started reading car mechanics a while back too, just realised I perhaps should have read some of them a little deeper.

Derri

The VCDS-Lite arrived from Ebay seller and works a treat.

Exactly the same codes as stated by garage.

18061 P1653 Please check DTC Memory of ABS Controller etc

&

00290 ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Left (G46)

30-00 - Open or Short to Plus

I've been told after extensive garage checking it is not a new sensor so looks like an expensive one. :'(