K04 Turbo upgrade...

DanBoy

Just looking into this really, at the moment I have a completely standard 03 VRS, if I wanted to upgrade my turbo to a K04 turbo what exactly needs to be replaced and upgraded at the same time??

If someone can help me draw up a list of what needs to be changed to make the most of the upgrade I'd be hugely grateful :D plus it will help anyone else who may be interested in doing the same.

i wont try to tell you what turbo, ko4 isnt much of an upgrade for the cost however, ko4 or even k03 hybrid is a nice way forward.

turbo, manifold, downpipe, cat bypass or sports cat to uprated exhaust, injectors, 4bar fpr, new map, suspension and brakes to handle upgrade..am sure there is more, thats a quick list

Hello, DanBoy,

I also have this in mind, but I already have all the parts (in a box, not yet on the car).

The parts should come from - Audi TT 225, Leon Cupra R, S3 - engine code BAM (or AMK)

This is what you will need:

- k04-02x turbocharger (mine is k04-023): 06A 145 704 Q or QX

- turbocharger gasket (turbo to manifold): 06A 253 039 H

- turbocharger gasket (turbo to downpipe): 8L9 253 115 A

- coolant hose gasket: 058 145 757 A

- coolant hose gasket: 058 145 757 C

- hex. bolt: N 010 217 10 (2 pcs.)

- hex. bolt: N 014 702 10 (2 pcs.)

- threaded pin: N 907 678 01 (3 pcs.)

- banjo bolt: N 021 071 7 (2 pcs. - more might be needed)

- banjo bolt: N 021 074 2 (2 pcs. - more might be needed)

- o-ring: N 013 812 8 (6 pcs.)

- o-ring: N 013 814 9 (4 pcs.)

YOU MIGHT ALSO NEED THIS. I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE YET:

- coolant pipe: 06A 121 492 M

- coolant hose: 06A 121 497 P

- exhaust manifold: 06A 253 033 AJ

- exhaust manifold gasket: 058 253 039 L

- exhaust manifold washer: N 903 572 01 (13 pcs.)

- exhaust manifold shouldered hex. nut: N 902 002 01 (13 pcs.)

- exhaust manifold head bolt: 06A 145 540 K (3 pcs.)

- exhaust manifold washer: 06A 145 791 A (3 pcs.)

- injectors: 06A 906 031 BC (4 pcs.)

- o-ring: 035 906 149 A (4 pcs.)

- o-ring: 06A 906 149 (4 pcs.)

Note that you will also need a custom downpipe (70mm recommended) and/or exhaust.

You will also need a FMIC (front mounted intercooler), as the standard SMIC is too small for this setup.

Most importantly you will need a custom remap. Some remaps need a 4 bar fuel pressure regulator: 078 133 534 C.

You will find a useful guide here:

http://forums.vwvort...ead.php?3562254

Good luck!

Edited by Devil69

Guest westallc

above is very good info but as you say its bog standard you will also need

3 inch maf

bam tip pipe

modified or bam airbox

uprated suspension

uprated brakes

lsd to get power down

catch can setup to stop oil contamination

uprated dv

poss rear arb

s3 lower strut brace

lots and lots of money

etc etc etc

the list goes on

why not spend a few £££ and ge the k03s actually working lol

if not happy then go for k04 but doesnt give that good a gain realistic 260 to 270 bhp

k03s hybrid realistic 270 to 280 bhp

a pushed k03s 235- 240 bhp

or go the full hog k04 hybrid seeing 300+ with minimal lag

Thanks for all the feedback, gives me plenty to look into there :)

Probably a bit of a silly question, obviously I've got a K03 turbo, whats different with a K03 hybrid? just so I can try and understand it all lol :D

i am no expert...wait for clive to reply, he had a cr turbos one, they iirc use ko4 internals inside the ko3s housing.

Put it this way, since i have had my car, i have been planning a turbo change, and have gone from vf34 to gt2860rs to hybrid ko3 to hybrid k04 to holsett hybrid.

Under no way however would i bother putting a stock ko4 on, its just not worth it for the money, if you can afford that, then get the ko3s hybrid which will be a lot less effort and work to fit and offer better figures than a stock ko4 or go the full hog and fit a ko4 hybrid.....or go full on big turbo..

As your in Northampton pop into Unit18 and have a word with Ali, sure he can sort you out with some good upgrades.

I'll look into that, I can see myself spending loads of money but its all worth it.

Guest westallc

i am no expert...wait for clive to reply, he had a cr turbos one, they iirc use ko4 internals inside the ko3s housing.

Put it this way, since i have had my car, i have been planning a turbo change, and have gone from vf34 to gt2860rs to hybrid ko3 to hybrid k04 to holsett hybrid.

Under no way however would i bother putting a stock ko4 on, its just not worth it for the money, if you can afford that, then get the ko3s hybrid which will be a lot less effort and work to fit and offer better figures than a stock ko4 or go the full hog and fit a ko4 hybrid.....or go full on big turbo..

yep you is correct :thumbup: although sometimes it seems to be hit and miss to what parts they actually use lol

i agree 100% no point fitting standard k04 imo

4 bar fpr ,305 fuel pump large fmic , uprated intake , metal renforced intake pipe , 3 inch turbo back stainless system ,custom map solid flywheel lightened and balanced 304 bhp and happy with it now

awesome figures nice one, i bet you are happy with that B)

how does it compare with oe, do you suffer any lag or slower spool over standard?

assume you have an aftermarket exhaust too? cat bypass or sports cat?

yes like i said last post 3 inch from the turbo back , its got hardly if anymore lag than a stage 1 ko3s car , the only thing you have to watch is the torque steer but apart from that it s wicked very happy with the car :D

cool cheers, wasnt sure if you had a sports cat maybe.

Yup drove a friends car with an atb fitted (another vrs) and although mine handles well since i fitted all the tt/r32 stuff, the quaife just cant be described, its awesome!

Sounds good buddy :thumbup: