New Pope

Has anyone had white smoke from their exhaust. Coming through town yesterday I had a big dip in power followed by a big cloud of white smoke ( observed from my rear view mirror ). I normally associate white smoke with oil but the levels seem ok. Drive back home had no further instances of this and the car seemed to behave, no warning lights etc...

Has anyone had white smoke from their exhaust. Coming through town yesterday I had a big dip in power followed by a big cloud of white smoke ( observed from my rear view mirror ). I normally associate white smoke with oil but the levels seem ok. Drive back home had no further instances of this and the car seemed to behave, no warning lights etc...

White smoke is water mate. Its either just condensation burning up in your exhaust, likely if its been standing much, or.....

A more sinister reason is ingress of water somehow into the combustion cycle, such as a headgasket or a coolant system failure somewhere. If there was a loss of power i'd be concerned and get it checked. A compression test will eliminate or confirm the gasket.

Edited by VRsMatt32

The colour of oil smoke depends on how heavy the consumption is.

If it was, say, valve stem seals, then it would be blue, but if the turbo seals had blown, it might well be white (and of the order of 1 or 2 pints per mile [think James Bond smokescreen quantities of smoke too]).

Oh and we need a new Pope, since the present incumbant has Godwinned himself! ;)

It's got 27k on the clock and is about to go in for another turbo replacement so will pass the white smoke issue to them ( just gets better ).... thanks for the comments.

if it needs a new turbo already it may well be related.....try not to worry mate