Suspension options - FSDs or VMAXX Coilovers?

17 members have voted

1. 1. So...

• FSDs
    • VMAXX

More options:

Genuine Skoda shocks (the same as currently in vehicle)

Front shocks - $256.55 + GST each

Rear shocks - $119.79 + GST each

Delivery time for these shocks will be around 7 days.

$753.85

Bilstein B8 shocks

Front shocks - $330.92 + GST each

Rear shocks - $205.87 + GST each

Dust covers - $74.58 + GST

Delivery time for these shocks will be 10-14 days.

$1406.51

Koni FSD

$1453.20 + GST

Delivery time for these shocks will be around 3-4 weeks.

$1671.18

Bilstein shocks are very very good shocks.

The B8s are designed for quite low cars though, so i would suggest the B6 shocks instead :)

I had a read up on this and from what I can find the B6 is for standard height or some lowering, the B8 for lowering of 30mm or more. I guess it depends whether they mean the standard Octavia height or the standard vRS height.

As the vRS is 15mm lower than standard and the springs will lower another 10-15mm.

Thats right, the B8s have shortened rods for cars with more of a drop. As Bilstein make specific shocks for the VRS they will be designed for the lowered height of the VRS. :)

As you are only dropping it around 15-20 mm i would use the B6 as they will offer a more comfortable ride compared to the shorter (and stiffer) B8s.

I hope it helps but im sure it has just added to your confusion :dull:

Thats right, the B8s have shortened rods for cars with more of a drop. As Bilstein make specific shocks for the VRS they will be designed for the lowered height of the VRS. :)

As you are only dropping it around 15-20 mm i would use the B6 as they will offer a more comfortable ride compared to the shorter (and stiffer) B8s.

Garry, you seem to have plenty of info on these things. Given a need for better than stock handling, but smoother ride than coilys generally offer, what would you personally have? And why did you choose your H&Rs and how have you found them?

Okay from what I can gather the same B6 rear shock - BE3-2800 is recommended for all Octavia Estates but the fronts are different between the RS and the 1.8t.

Looking at the pictures that might just be for the different drop link/ARB setups?

What I'm gathering is the the B6 and B8 are identical except the B8 strut is 30mm shorter for lower cars.

The vRS is 15mm lower than a 1.8t and the springs I have will lower another 10-15mm

So from a standard 1.8t I'd be lowering about 30mm. If I went for the B6s they'd be on their lowering limit. But the B8s would be at their upper limit.

Which is best?

Confused now.

Okay from what I can gather the same B6 rear shock - BE3-2800 is recommended for all Octavia Estates but the fronts are different between the RS and the 1.8t.

Looking at the pictures that might just be for the different drop link/ARB setups?

What I'm gathering is the the B6 and B8 are identical except the B8 strut is 30mm shorter for lower cars.

The vRS is 15mm lower than a 1.8t and the springs I have will lower another 10-15mm

So from a standard 1.8t I'd be lowering about 30mm. If I went for the B6s they'd be on their lowering limit. But the B8s would be at their upper limit.

Which is best?

Confused now.

Hi Rob are you sure the VRS is only 15mm lower, i thought it was 25mm lower, oh wait maybe the 1.8t is 10mm lower than a sandard Octy which would then make the VRS 25mm lower than a standard Octy??

Edited by Bowders1

Check out bilsteins site. They will recommend what you need. For the Fabia vRS they recommend only B8's But your right both the same just B8's are shorter.

Their site recommends both B6 and B8 for the vRS

Hi Rob are you sure the VRS is only 15mm lower, i thought it was 25mm lower, oh wait maybe the 1.8t is 10mm lower than a sandard Octy which would then make the VRS 25mm lower than a standard Octy??

From the official brochure:

Clearance: 119mm on Octavia vRS. 151mm on Octavia 4x4 (Estate). 134mm on Octavia (Hatch & Estate)

• 5 months later...

Finally have these installed after a bit of a farce where they supplied non-vRS ones with no ARB bracket then the new ones got stuck in Europe so it took ages for them to arrive. Then I went on hols so haven't been able to fit them until now.

5554736510_3dbe8b4d15_z.jpg

5554153249_46bef61be8_z.jpg

Before

5554152735_d6fe45b486_z.jpg

After

5554152567_5c26bbe291_z.jpg

Before

5554735952_97f3bf26dd_z.jpg

After

5554736704_155fd05caa_z.jpg

Before

5554152067_e01127a477_z.jpg

After

5554151889_4f9b6d5e56_z.jpg

They feel pretty good. Much firmer but not crashy. Still fine-tuning the height and stuff. I had them higher until today and the ride was a bit jiggly on my love handles but now I've dropped it a bit it's much better.

Rob, how does the xenon levelling cope with the change in ride hight? I have thought about changing my suspension but I'm put off by the thought of it mucking up the xenons.

Rob, completely off topic but... wow, that scenery is fantastic, is it really your place or did you hire a film location ;)

V jealous.

That's exactly what I was thinking :rofl:

It looks absolutely stunning. Now where's that number for the emigration department?