Suspension options - FSDs or VMAXX Coilovers?

17 members have voted

1. 1. So...

• FSDs
    • VMAXX

I'm weighing up two options for new suspension and looking for advice/experience.

Option 1 - VMAXX coilovers.

Cost $1000 + $500 I have for a low volume cert which you need in NZ if you have adjustable suspension - $200 to sell the springs = $1300

Advantages:

Local supplier if something goes wrong.

Height adjustable :)

Supposedly feel close to stock in normal driving but nice and stiff in the twisties.

No extra on insurance

Disadvantages??

Option 2 - the Vogtland springs I have in my garage (10-15mm lowering) + Koni FSDs from Awesome

Cost about $1300 landed in NZ

Advantages:

Soft on normal driving for wife and baby :)

Firm on the twisties.

No extra on insurance

Disadvantages

If something goes wrong the supplier is 12,000 miles away

Car might be too low for NZ roads and kerbs

Not heard the best things about the FSDs'. OK as a replacement for OEM, but not really performance - is basically what I've read

No idea about the long term quality of the VMAXX stuff (or who really makes them (suspect VMAXX are a brand name like WEITEC = KW)).

I'd take a punt on the VMAXX - adjustability is always more fun :smirk:

Rob, im a supplier of both of these products and i do have more than a fair share of problems and comments of "not as good as i expected" from the Koni buyers. The V-Maxx dont sell as many but i have yet to have a problem or negative comment made about them to me (Actually thats a lie, one guy did say the rear didnt go low enough for him).

I would choose the V-Maxx for the peace of mind of a local supplier and general good all round reviews combined with value for money :)

Just my 2pence tho :)

Whats your budget? H&R are my personal choice (i have their coilovers on my car). I find they are soft enough to be comfy, yet firm enough to be sporty, a nice all round package. A friend has a set of Bilstein B16 coilovers on his MK4 Golf and they are awesome on track days, but on the road i find them to stiff and crashy. As you dont do too many track days i would avoid the Bilsteins.

Thats just my experience of these 2 brands :)

I guess it depends on your budget, in the UK H&R are over 2 times the cost of V-Maxx, and Bilstein more like 4 times the cost.

What are the roads like in NZ?

NZ roads are variable. Sometimes excellent, sometimes potholed and lumpy.

Roadworks are a nightmare as they just scrape 10km of road surface off and you have to drive on loose gravel.

And they still have gravel roads in places :)

Around towns and main highways they're decent.

Budget - well SWMBO says as little as possible but I want to get this right as I plan to keep the car a long time.

Chances are if I go for H&R I'll be importing as local suppliers in general take the mick on the rarer stuff.

FSDs for example are $2000 + 15% GST locally

Well I would actually go for the Koni FSD''s

I have had these on my car and they are hard to beat , I can compare these against Eibach, Weitec and OEM based upon the options i have had on my car.

My feeling is some users would say that the FSD's are softer than they expected. I agree with this , but I like stiff solid ride. so my preferred option is weitecs. but will be changing to a even stiffer option when i get chance. Maybe Gary can point me to a alternative set for my needs. :smirk:

A lot of users like the FSD's,

You sound like you want a smoother ride over variable surfaces and to not get mrs having a neckache.

to me FSD' offer a near OEM feel when pottering around town but get stiffer on the twisties and more spirited driving. The FSD's are even better with HRS springs or any spring that is not going to lower the car more than 20mm. Again this seem to fit your requirement

Koni's are dear though and again i think that this puts folks off as coilovers are getting more affordable if not cheaper than a set of FSD's and you dont need springs at extra cost also.

my 2 pence worth.

This is interesting:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62927

Mk5 Golf but good comparisons:

Summary:

Which would I take home?

If I drove on the very goods roadways most of the time, I’d fancy the H&R Street Performance coilover with H&R bars. If I had to drive daily on rough roadways, it have to be the Koni-FSD Eibach ProKit H&R small anti-roll bar combination. I’d rate this combination slightly ahead of the H&R SPC due to the fact the Koni-FSD lost little in smooth roadway performance; but was noticeably better when the going got rough. As for the addition of the Hadlex system onto an R32 in lieu of H&R performance coilovers: difficult question.

If I went for the H&R SPC coilovers, I’d want the H&R anti-roll bars as well. This would add another $1,000 to the price of the coilovers. Conversely, if I went the H&R anti roll bars; I’d want the H&R coilovers to match. As Jig says: no use in keeping the OEM springs and dampers with H&R bars; been there, done that.â€

Alternatively, if you drive in wet, greasy or icy conditions; or live in areas with extremely rough roads, and have a limited budget to spend of $1700 for a performance upgrade and no more, the Haldex Gen II Controller may be for you. As long as you don’t push any harder than 8/10ths.

When push comes to shove and we pitch R32 versus R32, putting the GTI aside for the moment, the addition of the H&R coilovers and H&R solid adjustable anti-roll bars set on soft for front and hard for rear, makes a marked change in dynamics from understeer to neutral and a greater improvement in handling and drive over the Haldex Controller. So the win goes to the H&R Street Performance Coilover and H&R anti-roll bar UG R32 on the R32 front.

Strictly speaking on suspension dynamics: for drivers than traverse the worst roads to the best roads that this rugged country has to offer, the Koni FSD-Eibach Prokit is on the money. If your surroundings are made up of fine to moderately bad roadways, nothing worst than smooth B-grade roadways, the H&R Street Performance Coilover offers that bit extra performance with perfectly matched, tuned and sorted springs and dampers. The UG H&R R32 is the best handling Golf I have driven to date; now that says something.

From that it sounds like the FSDs might be a better option for me.

I'm arguing myself in circles here :)

Hi!

I just mention that Koni has a new offer for the vRS this autum - The STR.T. It is a firmer shock, but the length is said to be OEM - as is FSD's. But STR.T is firmer than FSD.

Check out the "Koni-finder" on the right:

My link

Regards

Olit - Norway

Hi!

I just mention that Koni has a new offer for the vRS this autum - The STR.T. It is a firmer shock, but the length is said to be OEM - as is FSD's. But STR.T is firmer than FSD.

Check out the "Koni-finder" on the right:

My link

Regards

Olit - Norway

These caught my eye the other day. Would love to hear some experiences on them.

Edited by lordrobs

I'm more confused than when I started now :)

Weitecs seem to get good writeups on here. Though I can find several people to tell me they are rubbish!!

Yes but the ratio to good over bad is far better right :thumbup:

As the Weitecs are the most common alternative you are bound to get some folks that are not happy.

Are the folks telling you they re rubbish, have them fitted to VRS or other VAG chassis, as i have seen some VW golf owners not like them.

My only beef if i am being really fussy, is they are not stiff enough for me, but I am the odd one out I think.

not stiff enough Mark, how stiff you want them? :o

Got some v2s for mine, will give you a comparison when i have had a play with them!

Hi Luca,

Yep i know........... :thumbup: and i have the Seat Leon Curpra R Weitecs on mine too. Slightly stiffer than the VRS ones.

Yeh please let me know as I was thinking Spax RSX as a next set up.

But may go KW's if they are decent.

cheers

hey Mark, i remember you got the lcr fronts with yours,

I looked at the rsx as an option, just not enough info and i also remember when spax used to have a bad name....slight stigma still applys.

I hope the v2s will be what im missing on the weitecs, i should know i have them already on my mk2!

prob is innox v2s are still not far off a grand, they make the rsx look cheap.

Still the rsx offers similar adjustability to the v3.......would like too see some before buying though!

hey Mark, i remember you got the lcr fronts with yours,

I looked at the rsx as an option, just not enough info and i also remember when spax used to have a bad name....slight stigma still applys.

I hope the v2s will be what im missing on the weitecs, i should know i have them already on my mk2!

prob is innox v2s are still not far off a grand, they make the rsx look cheap.

Still the rsx offers similar adjustability to the v3.......would like too see some before buying though!

Agree with you on all you state there buddy.

I think if santa is kind this year it is a cross between Spax RSX's and TD PRO race 1.2 18". or a custom exhaust. decisions decisions....