Handbrake adaption for disabled driver?

Kevin1953

A quick question................

My partner has only the use of her right arm and hand for driving her Roomster 1.2 auto dsg...................(2010 model).

This means unless I am with her then she cannot apply the handbrake and even when I am with her or driving then even I have a hard time with the handbrake.

I have seen a push pull handbrake adaption that is fitted to the right hand side of the steering wheel (not level with).

Problem is that I cannot find anywhere to get it from/have fitted.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Why apply the handbrake while driving? I put my DSG into park (or just hold the footbrake) if stopped for a short time, handbrake only gets used at the end of a journey.

Might be easier to adapt driving technique rather than modifying the car? (Just a thought....)

My partner has only the use of her right arm and hand for driving her Roomster 1.2 auto dsg...................(2010 model).

This means unless I am with her then she cannot apply the handbrake and even when I am with her or driving then even I have a hard time with the handbrake.

I have seen a push pull handbrake adaption that is fitted to the right hand side of the steering wheel (not level with).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

hope this helps

http://www.brig-aydcontrols.co.uk/handbrake/easy_release_handbrake.php

• 2 weeks later...

there are two options other than the expensive italian 'guido simplex' push/pull of which you speak,

Firstly... there's the simple handbrake easy release which is only about £120.00

Secondly, and probably better for a person with only one arm... is the electric handbrake from £550.00.

If your not close to me (London), the best thing to do is find an installer in your area by going on the Motability website and finding the list

of the accredited installers, there are other companies like mine that do it, but using Motabilities site is

easier, and you know that they are quality companies.

Edited by A10Adaptations.com

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Good evening, searching the web i found this site but its only in Czech. But of course you can send them an e-mail at this address.

Why apply the handbrake while driving? I put my DSG into park (or just hold the footbrake) if stopped for a short time, handbrake only gets used at the end of a journey.

Might be easier to adapt driving technique rather than modifying the car? (Just a thought....)

It's a legal requirement to be able to apply the handbrake and, personally I always apply it when stationary even briefly, for one reason because that was what I was taught in order to take my IAM test, but mainly because I hate being dazzled by the brake lights on the car in front and don't want to do it to the driver behind. I always cancel my indicators while waiting to turn for the same reason.