2003 Fabia drivers side window failed

Hi,

Been having an issue where my drivers side electric window would 'stick' when I would try to close it, requiring me to lift the switch several times to close it. Today when I lowered the window, the pane fell into the door (thankfully it didn't smash). Trying to raise it again, the motor whirled but there was a sound like the wiring/belt just flailing around loosely.

We took apart the door and looked at the motor/regulator and it had a loose cable which was heavily twisted (it looks like it's supposed to wrap around the wheel/cog connected to the motor which one end is already attatched to. I'm not familiar enough with the mechanism to know if it's broken or not.

Been reading around here and there are lots of people who have replaced the regulator. Do I need to replace it or is it a case of the window having come loose for some reason and I just need to refit it? Read that the regulators go for about £70, if I do need to replace it, is it simple enough to do myself with a guide or would I be better off going to a garage (not amazingly mechanically minded but with a decent step by step guide I'd be able to manage so long as there's nothing requiring too much skill).

Thanks

My passenger window failed last week, I'm reasonably mechanically minded and will give most things a go myself before going to the garage, however it was such a fiddly and awkward job just to get behind and actually see what was broken I decided just to book it into my local VAG Indy and get him to do the job.

You can buy individual parts from ebay, however Skoda just supply the whole regulator as a unit to buy.

I ended up with a new regulator unit, cost £70 and about £50 labour, but its done now at least. You have got to use the special rivets from what I understand, and they are not the easiest to attach either.

Hope this helps!

Just had mine go last week, sounds almost exactly what happened to yours.

The regulator comes as a complete set with cables and door carrier + seal, and yes the price is ~£70. Annoyingly the carrier is also riveted to the door rather than bolted, so you need to drill them all out to remove the carrier. The rivets are about £5 for the set, they are a strange size though and no-one had a rivet gun they fitted.

Hi,

Been having an issue where my drivers side electric window would 'stick' when I would try to close it, requiring me to lift the switch several times to close it. Today when I lowered the window, the pane fell into the door (thankfully it didn't smash). Trying to raise it again, the motor whirled but there was a sound like the wiring/belt just flailing around loosely.

We took apart the door and looked at the motor/regulator and it had a loose cable which was heavily twisted (it looks like it's supposed to wrap around the wheel/cog connected to the motor which one end is already attatched to. I'm not familiar enough with the mechanism to know if it's broken or not.

Been reading around here and there are lots of people who have replaced the regulator. Do I need to replace it or is it a case of the window having come loose for some reason and I just need to refit it? Read that the regulators go for about £70, if I do need to replace it, is it simple enough to do myself with a guide or would I be better off going to a garage (not amazingly mechanically minded but with a decent step by step guide I'd be able to manage so long as there's nothing requiring too much skill). If you do a search you will find the layout,and cable run,to see what you are up against.

If you think you are capable of relacing the carrier complete,phone around a few Breakers ,to get a good secondhand one,cost about £30.

Thanks

I recently had the same problem.Luckily it was not electric motor driven which mangles the cable.I was lucky I was able to replace the broken plastic part (£9 on Ebay).It is quite involved to get at the cable ,and refit the parts,if you are not very mechanically minded I would get it done in a garage.

Edited by AndyPandy

Had same problem with my 52 plate estate, its a weak point on VW vehicles. TPS the VW trade parts suppliers give a good price. Look on tinternet for local branch. You have to remove interior metal panel early ones are bolted on later models are riveted also. The rivets can be obtained loose from TPS and they fit my standard rivet gun. Fiddly to fit so if you are not all that DIY minded you might be better off finding a techy to help.

Thanks for the info, I know the motor itself does function, just not sure if it isn't mutilated or if other parts are broken would be very nice if I only had to replace the cheapish plastic part.

I tried searching for a guide to replacing/fixing the window regulator but couldn't find one (only ones to remove the door panels), do you have a link for yours Tech1e?