2nd Rear Foglight

Just a heads up that this IS possible on the FL but comes @ a price! (currently)

While trying something else I messed up my coding for all my lights so have been trying to get them back to normal as this coding is hidden so you can't tell what the original code was (Dana @ RossTech confirmed that for me)

Anyway I got it coded to a point @ the moment where my tails are dimmer and I've lost my front DRL's but.................................. it got 2 rear fogs!

So I'm now trying to get my tails back to their proper state and my front DRL's back hopefully I can do it with the 2nd rear fog.

All I can say is that messing with byte18 in the BCM aint for the faint hearted cos your lights do some REALLY strange things when the code is wrong!

BIG Nick :)

Thanks for being my guinea pig :D . I'm keen on trying to enable my second fog light as well, so when you do get it figured out, is there any chance you could take some screen snaps of the exact process and the code changes needed to help the rest of us not to make the same mistake?

Well I haven´t got it yet and it´s the first time I hear that someone did it.

It´s possible, yes but how?

If you have done a SCAN and save it, just go and look for the long coding and with the VAGCOM insert the same number letter combination.

Edited by alberg

Well I haven´t got it yet and it´s the first time I hear that someone did it.

It´s possible, yes but how?

If you have done a SCAN and save it, just go and look for the long coding and with the VAGCOM insert the same number letter combination.

Its not like the other bytes and Dana confirmed this! Byte18 is always set to 00 and that's not its true code.

If you change byte18 to anything else say 04 then go back to 00 the byte will remain at 04. So you never can tell what the original coding for byte18 is!

So this coding is always something other than 00 because 00 doesn't represent any true coding.

So to try and get back my original coding its a case of trial and error.

BIG Nick

Thought it was going to be another case of remembering to save your original coding, until I read your last post!

That sounds a bit ominous. Hopefully it's something that Ross-Tech can work on, being that it's a newer way of coding things. And that in a future version of VCDS, it can be a bit more friendly and present you with original coding :yes:

Best of luck with it,

Steve,

Thought it was going to be another case of remembering to save your original coding, until I read your last post!

That sounds a bit ominous. Hopefully it's something that Ross-Tech can work on, being that it's a newer way of coding things. And that in a future version of VCDS, it can be a bit more friendly and present you with original coding :yes:

Best of luck with it,

Steve,

I wish it was easier!

It's taking some time and ALOT of patience to figure out!

I'm now got my front DRL's back and my tails back up to full strength but..................

I keep getting a bulb failure coming up for tail lights! One each side even tho all 4 are lit up!

So it's very frustrating!

There is 256 possible codes and I've been thru about 40 of em! Only 2 of them have let the front DRL's work!

U get some weird lighting combo's with some codes! Missing tails, left reverse light on when in 1st gear! At one point I got rear DRL's using the fog lights!

Good job I don't mind trying any coding!

The codes you are trying are only on BYTE-18???

Are you using the latest vagcom software.

Byte18 controls ALL the lights. Even though in other bytes there are options for cornering lights, drl's etc.

byte18 is the master when it comes to ALL your exterior lighting as the BCM can go in any VAG car it's coded to what it's installed in as you already proberly know.

So for example where drl's are required by law Skoda will code the car accordingly.

So as I've already found out you can have, "DRL by seperate bulb" ticked in whatever byte it is but if byte18 is wrong and say's they aint installed then they won't work.

Byte18 is the nasty byte as you can't see it's original code, I just wish I'd have known that before hand!

To be honest guys, dual rear fogs are a PITA and there is much discussion out there about the fact that doing this may even contribute to accidents. It is much easier to differentiate a single fog than dual fogs which can be mistaken in certain circumstances for brake lights.

Worth thinking about.....................

It is much easier to differentiate a single fog than dual fogs which can be mistaken in certain circumstances for brake lights.

This is very much vehicle dependant.

I only use my rear fogs when visibility is less than about 100 metres and in these conditions I very much prefer to know that I have both sides of my car illuminated.

With third high level brake lights becoming common place it is now much easier to distinguish between brake and fog lights.

The distance between the fogs and brake lights on the Octavia also helps...

RearLightCluster.jpg

Byte18 controls ALL the lights. Even though in other bytes there are options for cornering lights, drl's etc.

byte18 is the master when it comes to ALL your exterior lighting as the BCM can go in any VAG car it's coded to what it's installed in as you already proberly know.

So for example where drl's are required by law Skoda will code the car accordingly.

So as I've already found out you can have, "DRL by seperate bulb" ticked in whatever byte it is but if byte18 is wrong and say's they aint installed then they won't work.

Byte18 is the nasty byte as you can't see it's original code, I just wish I'd have known that before hand!

Here is what I get under byte-18, You must get the same.

Just to share with you. ;)

semttulogt.jpg

Here is what I get under byte-18, You must get the same.

Just to share with you. ;)

semttulogt.jpg

That's exactly what I get but if you select any of those others and code it and say for example you lose your DRL's when selecting the original at the top of list which is "00" and you code it you still would have lost your DRL's as 00 in decimal or hex is........ 00.

HTH

Have you had any progress :|

Yes and no, I've got my DRL's back and my tail lights (all 4) upto full brightness and twin rear fogs but I keep getting a bulb failure for tail lights 1 on each side even though all 4 are ok!

So currently I've got the annoying bulb failure light on!

Yes and no, I've got my DRL's back and my tail lights (all 4) upto full brightness and twin rear fogs but I keep getting a bulb failure for tail lights 1 on each side even though all 4 are ok!

So currently I've got the annoying bulb failure light on!

You still got both rear fog lights on, wow :thumbup:

Today I was activating corner lights on a friends Octavia that is one chassis number ahead of mine.

The only dif is that I have TPM and the Bolero radio, noticed that some number/letter combinations were dif than mine. Funny :S

Am I the only one who doesn't like the FL rear clusters as much as the original Octy2 design? Don't like the white centre to it :S

I prefer them, so much so I upgraded to the new style... :thumbup:

DSC04863.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And me as well. Looks like something's missing on the new lights

There is, the reflector strip :giggle:

The new lights look cleaner to me, and as they are 'new' they make my car look newer :thumbup:

This is OK if you have the bumper mounted reflectors. Installing these new lights without the bumper reflectors would leave the car with no reflectors, and potentially a construction and use prosecution.

Mike

Possible but let's face it, extremely unlikely.