ScottHmk4 Fabia vRS - Now with SeatSurgeon leather

Nah they're very, very different pal. Xenon's are a £1,000 investment where as HID's are £30 off eBay. HID's are illegal, non-projector headlights, non-self levelling, non-self cleaning where as Xenon's do all of that. :) If you go around claiming you have Xenon's you're just gunna look like a bit of a tit. :giggle:

honestly mate get a grip.all this riff raff about non levelling etc etc, it honeslty dont bother me, dont you worry about me looking like a 'tit' no-one i know is that anal about calling hids either hids, xenons, projectors or whatever, honeslty mate some people just take this stuff too seriously, if i wanna call them xenons i will continue to do so. i didnt post it up so that i could be judged on it. as far as i know hids and xenons are one in the same thing, its a bulb type as far as i know and also matt above said the same, yeh you get projector lamps with oem xenons etc etc, but ive had aftermarket "xenons" almost the full time ive been driving which is over 3 years, ive been stop checked by the traffics and pulled a few times for various checks (including headlamps) and nothing has ever been said. yeh i may very well get done one day, but its not gonna effect you, so really do not lecture me on the laws. and im honeslty not trying to come across like a **** but i dont appreciate getting lectured on a car forum by someone i dont know, about stuff that aint gonna efftect them.

Edited by Scott Howie

Nah they're very, very different pal. Xenon's are a £1,000 investment where as HID's are £30 off eBay. HID's are illegal, non-projector headlights, non-self levelling, non-self cleaning where as Xenon's do all of that. :) If you go around claiming you have Xenon's you're just gunna look like a bit of a tit. :giggle:

It appears that HID = Hight Intensity Discharge.

Xenon is a type of gas used in the HID bulbs. Therefore, xenons are a kinda sub category of HID`s, in simple car terms, the same thing.

What you say about the non projector, non self cleaning etc is all true, although i *think* as it stands at the moment, until some rules change next year, they are still technically legal.

Matt

It appears that HID = Hight Intensity Discharge.

Xenon is a type of gas used in the HID bulbs. Therefore, xenons are a kinda sub category of HID`s, in simple car terms, the same thing.

What you say about the non projector, non self cleaning etc is all true, although i *think* as it stands at the moment, until some rules change next year, they are still technically legal.

Matt

thanks dude, thats all i was trying to say but as i stated, some people just get a bit anal about this kinda thing, if i head xenon headlights i would have said i have projector headlights, but i stated i installed xenons, sounds fine to me, anyways, i knew they were pretty much the same, and tbh the word "xenon" doesnt include washers and self levelling in the description of the word xenon, those are more the laws or safety in the motor inductry for making the cars for all there safety checks, doesnt technically mean they have to be included for proper xenons to work, they will be factory fitted. if i went and bought proper projector headlamps i wouldnt at all waste my time buying washers and a new bumper etc, because they are not required to make them work they are required by safety laws, but lets be honest how many cops would do you for not having headlight washers, not many i would think. anyways back on topic, i will try update pictures soon.

Hang, on. I thought it was me that normally goes on about HID/Xenons. :dull: I did on his Ibiza thread, however I later apologised about it. I'm sure he is fully aware of the legal situation and the fact it may fail an MOT in 2 years time.

BTW, I always thought Xenon bulbs were High Intensity Discharge bulbs. Also projector lenses are not a requirement (OEM Civics don't have them), however the lenses should be specifically designed for HIDs.

Edit: sorry it's similar to what other people have said.

Please remember this is Scot's thread about his car and how he is slowly modifying it. I'm looking forward to see more pics.

Edited by Jim H

honestly mate get a grip.all this riff raff about non levelling etc etc, it honeslty dont bother me, dont you worry about me looking like a 'tit' no-one i know is that anal about calling hids either hids, xenons, projectors or whatever, honeslty mate some people just take this stuff too seriously, if i wanna call them xenons i will continue to do so. i didnt post it up so that i could be judged on it. as far as i know hids and xenons are one in the same thing, its a bulb type as far as i know and also matt above said the same, yeh you get projector lamps with oem xenons etc etc, but ive had aftermarket "xenons" almost the full time ive been driving which is over 3 years, ive been stop checked by the traffics and pulled a few times for various checks (including headlamps) and nothing has ever been said. yeh i may very well get done one day, but its not gonna effect you, so really do not lecture me on the laws. and im honeslty not trying to come across like a **** but i dont appreciate getting lectured on a car forum by someone i dont know, about stuff that aint gonna efftect them.

I too have HID's, I'm not saying not to have them at all mate... I have them because I cannot afford the £1,000 for Xenon headlights. When you said you fitted Xenon's I thought you spent £1,000 on OEM Xenon headlights and got a bit excited, I'm just saying that most people will think the term Xenon's mean the full works which you get as an optional extra on decent cars, the term after-market Xenon's imply that you've bought all the parts after-market and retro fitted them, maybe with eBay projector headlights instead of the OEM projector headlights, etc... What we have is a HID kit which is illegal according to several officers I've spoken to but like you say most don't know and we've never been done for it so it's all good. :)

As was said before, the Xenon bulbs that you buy from Halfords or from eBay are not HID's they are just regular filament bulbs filled with Xenon. They are not illegal, and they don't mess with the beam pattern.

VRSturbo doesn't have HIDs (i'm assuming he just has different bulbs), HIDs are completely different from regular bulbs. They don't have a filament, instead they use ballast packs to create an ignition spark within the bulb to create a conducting tunnel between the electrodes - this then produces a constant arc between them which creates the light hense "High Intensity Discharge" then the ballasts keep the bulbs arcing (in a very clever and complicated way!). The light from these is less controllable hence the self leveling/cleaning/projector type assembly as opposed to a regular reflection headlamp.

If you do indeed have aftermarket HIDs in your regular headlamps, then you will fail an MOT and get pulled by every copper you drive towards at night as they basically seem to an oncoming driver that you have mainbeams on constantly. They are a real danger to other road users and just not worth the extra visibilty for yourself.

So, to be clear :) Xenon's can either be a variant of a regular filament bulbs or of a HID type. If you didn't have HIDs' on your car as an option when you bought it, and you just changed the bulbs to "Xenons" you don't have HIDs, you have Xenon filament bulbs :thumbup:

Osram Marketing 1.

General public 0. :rofl:

Edited by Simonbt

i said this was over, and as jim stated previous, this is my readers ride page so can we please leave it alone. as for you just statment simon, i have previously stated that i have been stopped for random stop checks by the police in my previous car which had HIDS (i.e. ballast packs) and they checked all my bulbs, (the coppers jacket lit up like blackpool illuminations) and he still let me go, i have also sat about 3 MOTS since said time and only ever did i get the hids mensioned once, and it was to do with the bulb colour not the fact of what they were, he thought that one was more blue than the other but he let it slide, he said the colour should match in each headlamp, im not stating that they are legal, but like i said, and both me and VRS TURBO i believe have hids, well i certaily have ballasts.

no offence but this is one side of forums that i hate, people who try to police everyone else. the people who think they know it all. at the end of the day the shops sell them, lots and lots of people buy them. can we just end this HID topic here, i wish i had said nothing now.

i said this was over, and as jim stated previous, this is my readers ride page so can we please leave it alone. as for you just statment simon, i have previously stated that i have been stopped for random stop checks by the police in my previous car which had HIDS (i.e. ballast packs) and they checked all my bulbs, (the coppers jacket lit up like blackpool illuminations) and he still let me go, i have also sat about 3 MOTS since said time and only ever did i get the hids mensioned once, and it was to do with the bulb colour not the fact of what they were, he thought that one was more blue than the other but he let it slide, he said the colour should match in each headlamp, im not stating that they are legal, but like i said, and both me and VRS TURBO i believe have hids, well i certaily have ballasts.

no offence but this is one side of forums that i hate, people who try to police everyone else. the people who think they know it all. at the end of the day the shops sell them, lots and lots of people buy them. can we just end this HID topic here, i wish i had said nothing now.

Was just poor timing i think on me reading the thread i think, I had just got home from a 15mile drive through derbyshire with some numpty behind me blinding me all the way :thumbdown:

In all honesty, welcome to the internet. If you don't have a thick skin you're not going to last very long ;) What you call 'policing' is what others call having an opinion, and that all forums are - a meeting of differing opinions.

You may want to read your posts and you might realise why everyone is being pretty defensive with you, you sound like a 5 year old that been told Superman is WAY BETTERS than Spiderman! Not everyone has the same opinion about stuff that you have, and a lot of people get sick of being blinded on a daily basis by people with pikey HIDs. I'm sorry you made the mistake of calling your pikey HIDS, "Xenons" then got all upset when people corrected you. As you said yourself "honestly mate get a grip"

Try asking a moderator if they will thin out the thread again for you again.

BTW, back on topic :p

Nice car, i really prefer the standard wheel colour instead of the black. Gogo get the colour coded grill and drop it 20-30mm and it will look veery nice B)

superman is better than spiderman though :giggle: , last thing i want to mension, i thought when hids were set on a beam setter and the patterns were reset that they didnt blind other drivers? just like normal bulbs, there just brighter?

anyways yeh colour coded grill has been done i just aint updated pics in a while, will try get some today ;)

thanks for the opinions.

lol i love it when hid kits get mentioned :peek:

and with pikey hids, superman, spiderman :rofl: its adding up to be a great thread :thumbup: what next.......... someone breaking the speed limit :devil: may we all be damned and spend eternity in hell :rock:

the motors looking good bud :thumbup: whens the coilovers on the cards :) and after mybrothers revo id say sneak that on your want list too B)

i must say tho... spiderman is much bester than superman :D