Getting ready to order a Superb Combi Elegance 170

Hi all,

Just joined the forum and am very impressed with the amount of detailed information that exists here. I was going to get an Opel Insignia as my new company car but upon driving the Skoda Superb, immediately changed my mind. I was really impressed with the car and, in my opinion, there is nothing in the price range that comes close to this car. So I am ready to order my car. I am going for the following spec:

Skoda Superb Combi

2L TDI (170 BHP)

Pacific Blue Metallic

Ivory Interior

Extras

THEMISTO 7.5JX18 ALLOYS

Sunset Tinted Glass

Electric Heated Windscreen

Premium Sound system

Electrically Operated rear boot door

MDI

Variable Boot Floor

SUNSCREEN REAR SIDE WINDOW

Alarm

Hitch

Sunroof?

KESSY (Keyless Entry)

So my questions are as follows:

• RE the hitch, does anyone ave any views on the Skoda factory fitted detachable hitch? What type of socket is fitted?
  • Thinking of the sunroof although the dealer advised that it would mean a lead time of 6 months which is putting me off as the car is due to change in February
  • Any opinions on the merits of KESSY? Is it worth getting?
  • Does the software for the Sat Nav come with the car? If not how much is it to purchase this and what regions to they cover?
  • What are peoples opinions about the variable boot floor for the estate and also the aluminum holding kits. Are they worth investing in?

I 've just taken delivery of a Superb Elegance in Aqua Blue/Ivory, which is a stunning combination, and I agree on the choice of car. I had a free market choice, and after >30years in the motor industry, I made this choice. One extra I'd seriously consider is the wood trim. Cosmetic, I know, but for the proce, it makes such a huge difference to the car. I also had park-assist.

I worked for a luxury car manufacturer, and we always had KESSY, but personally, I found it was a little gimmicky. It's very nice being able to walk up to a car and straight in, but I always wondered if it was really locked, and honestly, does it really add anything?

Yes, the SatNav software comes with the car, and it is very sophisticated and capable. I covers all of Europe. The panoramic roof would be a fabulous addition, I think, but you will have to make your mind up about delivery. It may be a risk, as when I ordered mine in July, the L/T was ~16 weeks, I hear that's now nearer 28.

Before my Superb, I was in an Audi Q5, and quite honestly, the superb is considerably better in my opinion. In fact, I changed cars every 6 months, so I saw a lot of new cars, and the Superb is the best of the lot. I think you have made a wise choice. (BTW I went for the 140HP for the fuel economy, and though it's still running in, the common rail diesel (replacing the "Pumpe Duse" in 2011MY has made this such a fine performer, you may want to consider economy over not much more performance)

Only badge snobs, I think, could deny the Superb is one of the best luxury cars in its range, and is unbeatable value for money

I 've just taken delivery of a Superb Elegance in Aqua Blue/Ivory, which is a stunning combination, and I agree on the choice of car. I had a free market choice, and after >30years in the motor industry, I made this choice. One extra I'd seriously consider is the wood trim. Cosmetic, I know, but for the proce, it makes such a huge difference to the car. I also had park-assist.

I worked for a luxury car manufacturer, and we always had KESSY, but personally, I found it was a little gimmicky. It's very nice being able to walk up to a car and straight in, but I always wondered if it was really locked, and honestly, does it really add anything?

Yes, the SatNav software comes with the car, and it is very sophisticated and capable. I covers all of Europe. The panoramic roof would be a fabulous addition, I think, but you will have to make your mind up about delivery. It may be a risk, as when I ordered mine in July, the L/T was ~16 weeks, I hear that's now nearer 28.

Before my Superb, I was in an Audi Q5, and quite honestly, the superb is considerably better in my opinion. In fact, I changed cars every 6 months, so I saw a lot of new cars, and the Superb is the best of the lot. I think you have made a wise choice. (BTW I went for the 140HP for the fuel economy, and though it's still running in, the common rail diesel (replacing the "Pumpe Duse" in 2011MY has made this such a fine performer, you may want to consider economy over not much more performance)

Only badge snobs, I think, could deny the Superb is one of the best luxury cars in its range, and is unbeatable value for money

PS: Many of the people I know who had the tint said they felt like drug-dealers (!) and it may detract from the Ivory leather. Also, not sure you'll need any further alarms, and finally, the stereo is good enough you may not need the upgrade (with previous Audis I'd shelled-out for the Bose system, and quite honestly, it was a waste of money.

PPS I assume the MDI is the same as Audi. I'm planning to put genuine IPod and USB cables on Ebay soon if you're interested

I had the park assist and heated rear seats ,the park assist works perfect every time and my friends love the heated rear seats .

far more use than kessy and glass roof. by the way this is the best car i have owned in 40 years of motoring.bill

If you want legroom in the back buy the Sup, if you want dealers that fix things buy the Insignia.

As for the tints saying drug dealer, my Passat has tints, and I don't care, cos i'll cap the first mofo that calls me a gingerster, :giggle:

Edited by Supurbia

If you're going to order it with columbus I'd certainly order an alrm to go with it. I've had 2 columbus systems stolen in the last 3 months..so I guess that means there's a way of circumnavigating the inbuilt 'so-called' security :(

"if you want dealers that fix things buy the Insignia." - That doesn't seem to be the experience of people who have completed the Autoexpress surveys. Vauxhall comes way down the list for the quality of their dealerships.

I would add the auto dipping rear mirror to your spec. I find it very useful.

i've had 3 cars now with tinted windows, the last two were LIMO black - and i loved them!

i have park assist, and it's a toy, works well, but i dont use it too often - it was bought because it's £200 more than just front sensors

i have MDI - works well also

elec boot is Sloooooooooow - so didnt order it

have elec windscreen - yet to use it

i also have elec washers - again, yet to use but for £35, i thought it was worth it

thermisto alloys are standard on elegance model

wouldnt have the wood, altho this does depend on age it think - being a twenty-something, fake wood, dont appeal

does the elegance spec not already have a cat 1 alarm? - sure mine does! - you can defo set something off, put it that way, and it's ultrasonic too...

Al.

I've gone for the heated washer jets, because for the price you can't knock it and I've been used to them on 20 year old Audi's. I've also opted for the auto dimming mirror, for £55 it's well worth it. I have it as an extra on the Saab and it works quite well. Not sure whether you would need it with the sunset glass, as I assume the tailgate window is also tinted..?

Have fun!

If the elegance spec is ordered in Ireland, then items such as heated washer jets, and auto dimming mirror, come as standard, along with bi-xenon headlamps, and park assist, i also think that most dealers are including the umbrella at no extra charge.

PS: Many of the people I know who had the tint said they felt like drug-dealers (!) and it may detract from the Ivory leather. Also, not sure you'll need any further alarms, and finally, the stereo is good enough you may not need the upgrade (with previous Audis I'd shelled-out for the Bose system, and quite honestly, it was a waste of money.

PPS I assume the MDI is the same as Audi. I'm planning to put genuine IPod and USB cables on Ebay soon if you're interested

bought a MDI iPod cable for a VW on eBay, it works fine. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Thanks to everyone for their input. Jonnb is correct in that the elegance spec in Ireland is very generous so a lot of the items you mentioned above are included as part of the spec. The dealer has one question not answered for me at present and it is about the retractable hitch. He says there is an issue with the manufacturer on these (didnt specify what the issue was) and he offered to fit one seperately. I was hoping to have this factory fitted to ensure it was as neat as possible. Does anyone know what the issue is re the hitches?