After Market Valeo Rear Parking Sensors

FriendlyFire

I have just fitted a set of rear parking sensors to my 2008 Octavia II 1.9TDI hatchback and I thought I would share a few thoughts and observations with others who might like to upgrade.

I went with a Valeo “beep&park” kit #1 for £44.25 from an online supplier based in Manchester. This is four rear sensors and a bleeper - no display. A little dearer than others on eBay or from Maplins perhaps, but I trusted the brand and I wasn't let down.

1. The kit came in an attractive box with everything required for fitting including straightforward instructions.
  2. The wiring loom is substantial and well weather proofed.
  3. The sensors themselves are on short fly leads which might allow repair/replacement in the future without taking off the bumper.
  4. The hole saw is 18.5mm diameter which is slightly smaller than other kits.
  5. Angled or irregular bumpers are accommodated with additional spacers through which the sensors would fit. However, these are a different (larger) diameter than the hole saw supplied!
  6. Valeo say you can't paint the sensors in the box but paint-able spares are available at extra cost. Better if I was told before I bought them!
  7. The speaker is separate but the lead won't allow positioning much further than two foot away from the control unit.

Fitting was a doddle and the system works as advertised: I tested it backing to within a foot of a wheelie bin. It immediately caught a person passing behind me .

I was taking the bumper off anyway for a tow bar but it isn't difficult. It simply drops off once everything is loose. If it seems difficult at all to pull of then stop and check for another bolt or screw.

I used http://octavia-vrs.com/cms/ as an excellent guide but it is worth noting:

• For whatever reason, Skoda used sealant on two of the four 10mm bolts holding the bumper through the boot sides and this glued the bumper to the body.
  • The mud flaps hide a single T20 Torx screw passing through the metal bodywork into the bumper at the top of the wheel arch where it meets the bumper line. It is hard to see or find since it is pointing outwards and disguised by under seal.
  • There are two screws either side under the light cluster – one down into the bumper and another horizontal into the boot – this differs from the estate.
  • Once off, you will find markings inside the bumper for OEM parking sensors. I found the centre of these with a compass and then used a 3mm drill to make a pilot hole to the outer surface.
  • The grommet on the wiring loom is the correct diameter for using the existing hole into the boot from the side under the bumper.
  • Splicing into the reversing light wire at the cluster (or nearby) doesn't throw a fault or turn on the dash warning light (although removing a bulb does).
  • Wires are: Black/blue for nearside and Black/green. Both are accessible where the loom splits under the nearside light cluster.
  • I found the carrier for the CD changer was perfect for positioning the control module – It Velcros nicely to the top.

All in all, a straightforward job requiring minimal tools and expertise. I would have liked to have been able to paint the sensors but they still pass well with the anthracite paint. The total cost of £44.25 compares rather well with the Irish main dealer quotes of €450 (Renault Clio) or €500 (Ford Ka) I recently got when shopping for a new car for my mother.

• 2 months later...

I've got a 2009 1.9 TDI Octavia. Thinking about mounting a aftermarket trailor hitch / towbar. I want one that is not detachable -Anyone tried to mount one of these with aftermarket rear parking sensors? Possible or not?

• 1 year later...

I've got a 2009 1.9 TDI Octavia. Thinking about mounting a aftermarket trailor hitch / towbar. I want one that is not detachable -Anyone tried to mount one of these with aftermarket rear parking sensors? Possible or not?

I had a towbar fitted when I first bought my 2006 octavia. (couldn't be bothered to do it myself!) Just fitted parking sensors the other week and its all fine, no problems. Obviously the sensors are set to a gap without the towbar, but when the constant tone sounds, there's still a couple of inches to spare. I stop when they get to the fastest beep before constant, just in case!