Faffing around with a compact

Scuff

Had a trip out today and only took a compact camera. Those who know me will be surprised, as I normally cart around tons of SLR gear.

Anyway, heres a shot I took with my newly aquired Canon G12 compact camera. The shot has been given a bit of tweaking in Lightroom and Nik HDR efex pro.

woburngardens.jpg

Lovely Photo Scuff - where is that?

I know it's sad, but I always think about Pooh Sticks when I see bridges like that - takes me back to my childhood. :)

Thanks for the kind comment. The pic was taken in the Woburn Gardens.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice picture from a composition point of view but it looks a bit over processed and noisy to me. I presume the noise is from the post processing not the G12.

I appreciate your comments. Whenever you take a risk coming up with a method of processing, you will invariably not satisfy everyone. As the title says, just faffing about.

Whilst the G12 is no Slr, it does a pretty fair job for something that slips into the pocket.

You are right, it is the processing that adds the 'grainy' effect, it's all part of the feel I wanted.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment

Any update on the original - I'd just be interested to see the difference between photography and art, the latter being dictated by a person's ability to utilise available software, as opposed to the ability to take a good photograph

That's not a criticism in any shape or form - the image posted looks almost surreal :thumbup:

Edited by Brimma

Any update on the original - I'd just be interested to see the difference between photography and art, the latter being dictated by a person's ability to utilise available software, as opposed to the ability to take a good photograph

That's not a criticism in any shape or form - the image posted looks almost surreal :thumbup:

Bear with me, I am away from the pc at this time, only have the phone. I will post the original when I can.

No offence taken, I don't usually faff about with hdr etc, it's over the top for the agencies I supply images to. But it's good fun nonetheless. 35 years in the 'trade' and as you can imagine, I have seen many so called trends in photography, and many people who suddenly become a photographer because they have bought an slr. I am still learning, despite having over 35 years experience. Every commission, wedding or image sale, adds to my experience.

As requested, here is the original.....

WoburnGardens2.jpg

Edited by Scuff

I like the look of this camera. It seems to have pretty good dynamic range. Did you burn the clouds slightly to get the black detail, or does the camera have one of those clever HDR type modes?

Ps you obviously don't need all your lenses now, so can i have them please, i have been very patient :D

Edited by Lady Elanore

I like the look of this camera. It seems to have pretty good dynamic range. Did you burn the clouds slightly to get the black detail, or does the camera have one of those clever HDR type modes?

Ps you obviously don't need all your lenses now, so can i have them please, i have been very patient :D

Hi Lens Lover.....

I shot it in RAW (is there any other way) and processed it in lightroom. The detail you see was all recorded well.

I have just finished profiling the camera, and the following is the result. The colours are more accurate and the image has much more punch.

I think it does particulary well for a small sensor.

Woburn3.jpg

The colours do look a lot better now but have you softened the image slightly?

I have added a little sharpening (cos I forgot to do it :-)

Refresh the page and you should see the latest version.

Thats a very nice camera (obviously you count a bit too :D) So If Santa could drop off, say a 400mm prime to Stretford this year i would be very grateful. I have been a good girl all year................honest Santa.