Problems with the tailgate lock

martinz

Hi,

Is there anyone who has had problems with the lock on the tailgate whilst driving?

On my Roomster it opens itself quite often. It does not always opens completely, but the MDF says that the tailgate is up.

Edited by martinz

Hi,

Is there anyone who has had problems with the lock on the tailgate whilst driving?

On my Roomster it opens itself quite often. It does not always opens completely, but the MDF says that the tailgate is up.

Hi Martinz

Have not had this problem while driving but occasionally the tailgate is unlocked when I go to the car and warning light shows when I start up. Do you have the 3 button version remote keyfob with the tailgate button in the centre? I think my issue with this is that I accidentally press, or something in my pocket presses the centre button. Is there anything that you have on your set of keys which could do this while you are driving? It could also be a malfunction of the circuitry in the remote.

Best regards

Scottie

• 2 weeks later...

Have not had this problem while driving but occasionally the tailgate is unlocked when I go to the car and warning light shows when I start up. Do you have the 3 button version remote keyfob with the tailgate button in the centre? I think my issue with this is that I accidentally press, or something in my pocket presses the centre button. Is there anything that you have on your set of keys which could do this while you are driving? It could also be a malfunction of the circuitry in the remote.

Hi Scottie!

Thanks for your reply!

I have the 2-button version of the remote key.

But I don't think this is related to accidentally pressing of the key.

The problem with the tailgate occur whilst driving, sometimes suddenly when cornering or sometimes in a road-bump. The tailgate itself doesn't open, but the MDF says that the tailgate is open.

So then I have to stop and open/close the tailgate for the MDF to shut up...

Edited by martinz

Hi,

Hi. I had a similar problem when tailgate was firmly closed, the dash display was telling me that it was open and the interior boot light was on constantly as well.

Turned out that the feed pipe to the rear wash wipe had split and was dripping on to the control unit which had corroded and I had to have it replaced along with new pipework.

Local auto electrician sorted it for me for £50.

Hi. I had a similar problem when tailgate was firmly closed, the dash display was telling me that it was open and the interior boot light was on constantly as well.

Turned out that the feed pipe to the rear wash wipe had split and was dripping on to the control unit which had corroded and I had to have it replaced along with new pipework.

Local auto electrician sorted it for me for £50.

Hi and thanks for the reply WOL2N :)

Was your problem constant or was it now and then?

On my Roomster the problem is now and then. Sometimes it happens very often and other times it can go a long time between the happenings.

Edited by martinz

• 2 weeks later...

I am a new member, so my apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.

Slightly off topic but still relevant

I have an 09 Roomster 2, bought last week. When I unlock the boot only, with the remote and then close it, it automatically relocks luckily I have not left the key inside yet.

Is this a fault on mine or is it a "design feature".

Hi BG and welcome to Brisky.

Yes, your Roomie is behaving normally. I very quickly learnt to keep the key fob in my hand (or pocket) whenever the tailgate was open.

Sod's law dictates that the one time you lock the key fob in the boot, you will be cold, wet and far from home.

Rob

Edited by Robjon

I am a new member, so my apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.

Slightly off topic but still relevant

I have an 09 Roomster 2, bought last week. When I unlock the boot only, with the remote and then close it, it automatically relocks luckily I have not left the key inside yet.

Is this a fault on mine or is it a "design feature".

That's a fairly common feature on most modern cars.

Hi,

I've experienced exactly what you describe and the also the reverse, i.e you have clicked twice on the 3 button keyfob to release "all" doors, You know that the doors are released as people can get in all doors, but the boot remains firmly locked! After "extensive testing", the dealer could find no fault and rejected my claim.

Halfway home the light appeared on the dash and I had to pull into a layby to shut the tailgate again!

Peter