metallic resonance from rear of car

I've been following posts to do with rattles squeaks etc, but mine is a different noise. For the past 5 months a metallic-like resonance sound has developed from the rear/boot area. The noise can be bad enough to drown out road noise. It usually starts after the car has travelled some time eg half an hour. Bumpy roads/ speed bumps have no effect but slightly rough surfaces do. Anyway I've had the seats folded down, the parcel shelf removed, likewise every piece of junk that seems to collect on the floor, cleared the boot. No joy.

My attention has now turned to the middle brake light which is housed in a brittle plastic cover.

Anybody had a similar noise.

PS as the car is only 9 months old would this problem be covered by warranty.

That seems exactly the same noise I've been suffering with. A fairly high-pitched metallic vibration which is worse on rough roads (that'll be nearly all of them then).

I've covered the boot floor and wheel well with Dynamat to no avail - it's now more obvious thanks to the reduction in general road noise.

A road test last week with the dealers helpful spanner monkey suggested it's probably something loose vibrating against something else. (no, really?) Taking the tail-gate apart to see - it could be a 5 minute job if it's something obvious or a lot lot longer if it's not. Getting it looked at tomorrow (Friday) so will let you know how I get on.

Edited by ms1007

What about something caught in the brake shield against the rear disc.

I had the same sort of sound and this is what it was. Obviously might not be that at all.

flinflon,

As promised a quick update on my similar metallic resonance problem.

Dealers had a look today and put some "sticky felt" where it looked like there was wiring vibrating against the bodywork in the tailgate. There are three notorious points where this is a problem apparently. Their test drive seemed to show that this had worked and to be fair on the 10 mile drive back home it was certainly quieter.

However - turning into my street (typically the place where the noise is the worst) and it returned as bad as ever.

So I guess i'll just turn the stereo up again until I can get back to the dealer for some further investigation.

hmmmm... i've had this problem for months now. had the wife tap the rear courtesy light a few time (near back glass because of sunroof) and it stopped a few times. now that no longer works. to my frustration the identical noise is also coming from inside the dashboard on the drivers side.... annoying as hell! this happens on mainly coarse road surfaces not necessarily outright rough... any insight at all into how to solve this will be appreciated! thanks guys.

to my frustration the identical noise is also coming from inside the dashboard on the drivers side.... annoying as hell! this happens on mainly coarse road surfaces not necessarily outright rough... any insight at all into how to solve this will be appreciated! thanks guys.

I had this on my last Octavia and to my great annoyance I have the same on my new one!

It is the ticket holder vibrating against the windscreen. On the old Octy I caused it myself when I caught the ticket holder during over exuberant cleaning of the windscreen. This created a tiny gap between screen and clip and when it vibrates on a coarse road surface it sounds like a coin on a tin tray. I cured it by putting a rubber band (found 1 exactly the right size!!) around the clip.

The new one (3 weeks old!) will be going back for a fix - though when I traded in the old one I did keep the perfect size rubber band just in case!.

I've been following posts to do with rattles squeaks etc, but mine is a different noise. For the past 5 months a metallic-like resonance sound has developed from the rear/boot area. The noise can be bad enough to drown out road noise. It usually starts after the car has travelled some time eg half an hour. Bumpy roads/ speed bumps have no effect but slightly rough surfaces do. Anyway I've had the seats folded down, the parcel shelf removed, likewise every piece of junk that seems to collect on the floor, cleared the boot. No joy.

My attention has now turned to the middle brake light which is housed in a brittle plastic cover.

Anybody had a similar noise.

PS as the car is only 9 months old would this problem be covered by warranty.

My Octy 1.4 Elegance TSi DSG (6 months old) has a similar noise not all the time - tried all the usual suspects and didn't seem to help. Saw a post on Briskoda where the guy suggested it was the high level brake light housing vibrating. I tapped it and sure enough it and the plastic round the tailgate gives off a rattle. Not done it since but mine seemed only to do it on rough roads after the car had been standing in the sun and as we haven't had much sun recently it hasn't done it since. If mine returns it will be into the dealer to investigate.

I had this on my last Octavia and to my great annoyance I have the same on my new one!

It is the ticket holder vibrating against the windscreen. On the old Octy I caused it myself when I caught the ticket holder during over exuberant cleaning of the windscreen. This created a tiny gap between screen and clip and when it vibrates on a coarse road surface it sounds like a coin on a tin tray. I cured it by putting a rubber band (found 1 exactly the right size!!) around the clip.

The new one (3 weeks old!) will be going back for a fix - though when I traded in the old one I did keep the perfect size rubber band just in case!.

thanks i will try this asap... as for the rear... well that will take some troubleshooting... wish cars were like firearms where you can take em all apart clean em up n service em nice and slap em back together again as easy as that... lol