got charged £40 for oil service is this right

justinbarrow

Got the car serviced and looking at the receipt notice that they charged me £60 for a full service and £40 for the oil and filter. I asked what oil they used and was told 10/40 semi synthetic. I thought it was a bit over the top to be honest as i think the cost of a 5 litre tub of oil is around £15 and the filter about £5.

I also had a back box fitted at £84 as the baffles had collapsed and they said that it came with a 12 month warranty, but when i phoned the local motor factors and asked about weather they have a 3 year warranty or or just 12 months they confirmed that they had supplied the garage with the back box for my car and told me it has a 3 year warranty. The problem i have is that i don't have the original receipt from the motor factors for the warranty and wanted to ask if the back box failed before 3 years how would i go about getting it replaced under warranty as I don't think the garage will keep their purchase receipt for longer than a year.

All in all i am £215 lighter.

...I don't think the garage will keep their purchase receipt for longer than a year.

The Companies Act 2006 (Sections 386 and 388) sets out the accounting records a company must keep with a 3 year retention period for private companies and 6 years for public companies.

The VAT Act 1994 (SCH 11 PARA 6) sets out the VAT records that should be kept and specifies a 6 year retention period.

well even if you buy online you can pay 45 for fully synth so you got a good deal, i think even Kwik fit are near to a 100. When we had an Audi it was 150 just for an oil+filter change :S

well even if you buy online you can pay 45 for fully synth so you got a good deal, i think even Kwik fit are near to a 100. When we had an Audi it was 150 just for an oil+filter change :S

Think that's a bit steep - had one done a couple of year ago think it was around 45 , and notice that they still start at 25 .But ,would you trust the job to a firm that don't know to order the additional seals to go with an oil filter .

Local motor factor has vw505 01 @ 7.99 per two litre - never thought of asking the price for 5lL, but at £24 for six- could afford to change it more often .

Ref the exhaust,

At a guess or being cynical!... as you bought the exhaust from the garage who serviced your car and not directly from the motor factors, your receipt/contract is with the garage, so if they decide to give their customers 12 months warranty on parts then that is what you get, regardless of the fact the motor factors may well have given the garage 3 years warranty on the exhaust box.

If the exhaust fails before the 3 years is up, and you go back to the garage to get a new one, provided the garage are switched on, they are quid’s in, charge you for another system and return the faulty one back to motor factors for a credit!

Ref the exhaust,

At a guess or being cynical!... as you bought the exhaust from the garage who serviced your car and not directly from the motor factors, your receipt/contract is with the garage, so if they decide to give their customers 12 months warranty on parts then that is what you get, regardless of the fact the motor factors may well have given the garage 3 years warranty on the exhaust box.

If the exhaust fails before the 3 years is up, and you go back to the garage to get a new one, provided the garage are switched on, they are quid’s in, charge you for another system and return the faulty one back to motor factors for a credit!

This sounds wrong - does the sale of goods act not come into play, mind you i am hoping it lasts longer than a year

This sounds wrong - does the sale of goods act not come into play, mind you i am hoping it lasts longer than a year

Assuming The Garage's Terms & Conditions comply with The Sales of Goods Act , what have they done wrong? (it may morrally seem wrong, but if they are playing within them, then legally they have not done anything wrong!)

It may be if the exhaust were to fail with in 3 years and you take it back the garage might replace it F.O.C, as no doubt doing that would be good for their reputation.

As I said earlier I was guessing and being cynical!!!

Local motor factor has vw505 01 @ 7.99 per two litre

Halfords - £14.99 for ONE litre...

So I went to the filling station attached to the Gloucester Skoda dealer - they wanted £16.99 !!!

Edited by DRJ

Assuming The Garage's Terms & Conditions comply with The Sales of Goods Act , what have they done wrong? (it may morrally seem wrong, but if they are playing within them, then legally they have not done anything wrong!)

It may be if the exhaust were to fail with in 3 years and you take it back the garage might replace it F.O.C, as no doubt doing that would be good for their reputation.

As I said earlier I was guessing and being cynical!!!

The SOGA would come into play as you can prove straight away that the manufacturer offers more than 12months guarantee hence you would require the goods to be of a reasonable quality for 3+ years if they are offering 3 years as a manufacturer.

Halfords - £14.99 for ONE litre...

So I went to the filling station attached to the Gloucester Skoda dealer - they wanted £16.99 !!!

Couple or more years ago ,when 505.01 was hard to come by -I went to a local VW dealer - cost -£13.99 for two litre . Way lower than any other place around .