New Yeti extras?

bohmer

Don't know if anyone has noticed the new(or am I behind the times as usual!) accessories on the Yeti website. Cheaper .Amundsen Sat Nav, Kenwood Mutimedia, whatever that is, and two new alloys , 16" & 17". Don't know how good the Amundsen is compared to Columbus, but it's about £500 cheaper! Tony

I've no doubt you're right but I'll be blowed if I can find them! Configurator hasn't changed and as far as I can see neither has the accessories brochure? Help

Edit: Found them - the screen is very small on the Amundsen

Edited by GazzaC

I've no doubt you're right but I'll be blowed if I can find them! Configurator hasn't changed and as far as I can see neither has the accessories brochure? Help

Good, I went straight to www.accessories.skoda.co.uk, I was intrigued as to what the Kenwood Multimedia did mainly.

I used the VW version of the Amundsen in a Touran demonstrator back in March, VW refer to is as the RNS310. I thought the low position and 5" screen would be an issue after having a 7" satnav in my Honda. However the turning instructions and other info are duplicated onto the maxidot dashboard display which is much better place to see them while driving.

Other than that the main difference between the Amundsen and Columbus is the lack of internal HDD. The maps on the Amundsen can either be accessed from the DVD disc or copied across to an SD card. From memory maps on the SD card can coexist with digital audio files so you don't lose that facility and you can then use the single slot optical drive for audio cds. At around £900 rather than £1,500 for many it will be a better value option for factory fit sat-nav. Heating control and parking sensor info is displayed on the satnav screen, unlike the Kenwood unit I believe.

It will be interesting to see if a Skoda version of the RNS315 makes an appearance which includes bluetooth handsfree.

Best regards

David

I used the VW version of the Amundsen in a Touran demonstrator back in March, VW refer to is as the RNS310. I thought the low position and 5" screen would be an issue after having a 7" satnav in my Honda. However the turning instructions and other info are duplicated onto the maxidot dashboard display which is much better place to see them while driving.

Other than that the main difference between the Amundsen and Columbus is the lack of internal HDD. The maps on the Amundsen can either be accessed from the DVD disc or copied across to an SD card. From memory maps on the SD card can coexist with digital audio files so you don't lose that facility and you can then use the single slot optical drive for audio cds. At around £900 rather than £1,500 for many it will be a better value option for factory fit sat-nav. Heating control and parking sensor info is displayed on the satnav screen, unlike the Kenwood unit I believe.

It will be interesting to see if a Skoda version of the RNS315 makes an appearance which includes bluetooth handsfree.

Best regards

David

Thanks for that, very interesting, the Skoda info wasn't very clear. I've just realised the new alloys were not for the Yeti-my mistake in case anybody got excited! Tony

I guess it's nice to have a different option from Skoda. But if I were seriously looking for a Sat Nav/Entertainment unit I'd consider third party systems that advertise considerably greater functionality and much larger screen whilst also declaring that they are totally compatible with Skoda's remote steering wheel controls, maxidot and displaying the various data streams through the can-bus (Zenec 5600 being the most obvious). True, they do not yet advertise compatibility with the Yeti but it is probably only a matter of time. Of course I have no personal experience but certainly a route I'd consider if I were that way inclined.