MFSW doesn't like cold mornings

The radio and Maxidot controls somestimes don't work on cold mornings. Once the car warms up it works fine. I haven't tried the flappy paddles so don't know if these are affected too.

What are your experiences?

Not sure about the MFSW and radio, but my electric windows suffer the same mysterious fault.

In the second or two it takes me to realise they haven't lowered I've hit the switch again and they work fine.

I have found that when I start my car and try to use the MFSW buttons they don't work for a while, leave it a few seconds and they work fine, though I have a Columbus fitted and I'm sure it is just due to the fact that the systems in the car are booting up and need a little time to synchronise and get going. If you can try to give it a few more seconds before trying to use the buttons then hopefully everything will be fine.

Ian.

I have found that when I start my car and try to use the MFSW buttons they don't work for a while, leave it a few seconds and they work fine, though I have a Columbus fitted and I'm sure it is just due to the fact that the systems in the car are booting up and need a little time to synchronise and get going. If you can try to give it a few more seconds before trying to use the buttons then hopefully everything will be fine.

Ian.

Thanks Ian

Last winter it could take up to 10 mimutes driving before it worked. Not to worry, just have to move my hand down to the radio like the old days. What a hardship!

Ah, at last, someone with the same problem!

sounds like there are two problems referred to by different people:

- failure of certain controls for a few seconds (could be software?)

- longer term (10 minute) failure of MFSW in cold conditions

I have the latter temperature related problem on my ’59 plate Octavia Elegance.

Had 4 visits to the dealers last winter, and then the problem went away. Of course, we hoped that was due to the dealer replacing the steering wheel control unit (under warranty) but now it's cold again problem has recurred.

You may think it's a minor inconvenience, but if you've got the same problem as me, you're driving without a horn for 10 minutes every icy morning. It’s illegal. The car would fail an MOT.

I hope we can find a solution to this. Knowing other people have the same problem has got to help.

I suspect the steering wheel slip ring, just intuitively really. Anyone know if a failing contact on the slip ring would be consistent with these symptoms:

- non functioning of horn, and all steering wheel controls (stereo, trip computer, DSG paddles) on cold mornings

- starts working after 5 - 10 minutes.

Could that be slip ring?

Would be really grateful for any help. With it being an intermittant fault, it's really hard to get the dealer to see it (particularly as the drive to the dealer is long enough to warm things up).

Edited by Mr Hugo

Leave it with the dealers overnight and get them to supply a loan car as it is a safety issue. :thumbup:

Yep, I shall have to do that (again).

It's a really annoying problem though as unless temperature is around zero °C, the problem doesn't show. It's not cold enough this week, so all they'd do is plug a computer in, see there's no error at the moment and tell me it's fine, send me away.

Even if I could persuade them to replace the slip ring unit (which i suspect to be the culprit*), on not much more than my hunch, we wouldn't know if it had worked until we get a good few days of really cold weather.

*seems logical? It's obviously a slightly unreliable electrical connection somewhere.

Fact that it's only when cold points to slip ring for me, maybe there's some contaminant (that disperses when fluid/warm enough), or the brushes aren't quite in good enough contact when cold (could bend away due to thermal contraction effect?).

If it was a fundamental problem with the wiring loom say, I can't see why I'd only have this when cold.

They've had everything apart and jiggled/cleaned the connectors on 4 occasions, so I doubt it's at one of the plugs.

The steering wheel control unit has been replaced already.

P.S. Anyone know if my airbag would still work? I've never seen the airbag warning light.

• 1 year later...

I'm going to bump this thread because I'm still having the same problem with my steering wheel. Happens every winter. All controls (horn, audio, trip computer, DSG paddles) fail to work on (most) cold mornings.

Skoda diagnostics shows no fault with steering wheel controller.

I noticed a few people on here have fitted/replaced their own Multi Function Steering Wheels. Could any of you who understand the system point my in the direction of the suspect part (so I can get dealer to replace under warranty)?

I'm obviously getting a failed electrical contact somewhere. I suspect it's the junction between rotating parts and static - is there some sort of sliding elctrical contact (have been told by dealer it's not a slip ring)?

Would appreciate any help. Thanks.