Short shifter for the Vrs

turboindia

HI guys,

Was looking at fixing a short shifter for my VRs but need to know if any of you guys have had any experiences. Will you loose out on the smooth transition from gear to gear etc .

Would love to know what you guys feel and any specific suggestions please.

Am planning to take the Neuspeed Short Shift Kit Golf Mk4 02-> 5speed Model No :GS-QS-NEUGO4C from Awesome (ADE). This one fits I understand.

Help really appreciated from the masters>>>>

Rgds,

Peter

dont know of anyone thats fitted one here but i cant see if affecting the smoothness of the changes. if anything it should impeove the gear change.

if it all goes to plan and works out well let us know

we're talking octy vrs?uses the same 02m box as the ibiza cupra if i'm geussing right,theres a B&M shifter and the neuspeed like you mentioned,B&Mis expensive but looks cool ,as you get a whole new gear stick,though its been said that in the winter it gets very cold(all alloy)

Check this one

http://www.dieselgeek.com/A4NB_SS.php

I have it and it's very good ...

Checked it but it does not have the counterweight so I have a feeling it may not feel as solid as the Neuspeed one.

Anyway guys i am going the neuspeed way. I'll have it in a weeks time and will let you guys know how it is soon after,

Adios

just ordered one for my octy

got it from here

b&m shifter

lots of people have said that b&m are really good and come with really good instructions :confused:

hope so :rofl:

Got a B&M fitted to my Octavia vRS. Fitted it myself; pain in the neck to do. Basically the car needs to be on ramps, most of the work is done from underneath. Basically:

-Exhaust needs to be removed

-Heat shield around exhaust needs to be removed to access gear selector cover

-Remove cover

-Take out old selector and replace with new selector

-Use bolts supplied with kit to hold selector cover in place

-Put everything back

-Drive and select gears with a slighter shorter throw and a cold hand (alloy gear knob supplied is V cold in winter)

I would imagine it's a similar fitting procedure for other manufacturers kits. Have fun.

Andrew

Edit: note that reverse gear is now selected by lifting the collar on new lever.

:eek: god i did not think it was that hard!

mate did one on his 200sx and it was all done from inside the car!

but thanks very much for the info :thumbup:

take it that the vrs gear knob cos back on??

was it hard to come off? :confused:

Some cars can be done from inside but sadly not VAG vehicles, you cannot access the connections from shifter to gearbox cables from inside the car; the connections themselves are simple push-on-to-fit, once you've got to the linkages it's easy, getting to them is the problem.

The whole gear shift assembly is removed, complete with gear knob.

The standard gear knob cannot be used with the B&M shifter because it uses a lift-up collar for reverse.

Andrew

They are a pain to fit but worth it in the end.

-Drive and select gears with a slighter shorter throw and a cold hand (alloy gear knob supplied is V cold in winter

group buy on driving gloves anyone?i still think the shift is pretty good as standard in the vrs :thumbup:

Just to confirm Gr_Octavia's input on dieselgeek.

It took 30 min to me ....by drinking coffe also .. :D

The feeling is very precice changes and now you know that the gear is in or not.

I think this sort shift is the best.. (cost also).. :thumbup:

Peter,

I had the Neuspeed short shifter fitted to my last RS but had it removed the next day. I found it to be way too notchy and actually more imprecise than the standard item.

Having said this, I had been in an Audi TT with it and it was lovely.

If you're happy with it, that's the main thing.

• 2 weeks later...

So at last guys ,

Got the short Shifter fixed a few hrs ago and had to let you guys know, it is great. The nothiness and rubbery feeling of teh old one is GONE.

I am sure nobody would complain. IT FEELS GREAT.

It took me under 10mts to fix it.All in teh engine bay just remove your Aircleaner assembly and change the shifter assembly.

GREAT PRODUCT AWESOME(Ade)