Snow Chains

Not sure what you mean by "safe" - why shouldn't they be? However is that for this country or abroad - in this country they're hardly ever needed or relevant since you can only use them on packed snow.

I don't know your exact circumstances, but I live near Edinburgh and find that winter tyres give my wife all the mobility she needs in Winter - if the snow is too deep and/or not swept, or in drifts, then winter tyres are as much use as chains - ie no use.. Also, consider that you will need to stop and fit chains, then stop and remove them after you get back onto black roads. I'd say that 4-off winter tyres beats 2-off chains in most situations - ever watched Wallander - you don't see these Swedes using chains much on regular snow covered roads.

Snow socks are a neat alternative to chains. They pack away smaller, don't carve up the road and can be used at slow speeds even when there is no ice or snow. Easy to fit and remove too.

Snow socks are a neat alternative to chains. They pack away smaller, don't carve up the road and can be used at slow speeds even when there is no ice or snow. Easy to fit and remove too.

Which is the conclusion on every snowchain thread I have seen on Briskoda!!

I have autosocks, I have had them for years, they are great! 30mph on ice or snow, regardless of depth, chains are only any use on deep, packed snow and at a maximum of 12mph.

Just get 4 good quality snow tyres. Usable for driving all the time ie.dry,wet or snow. As good a grip with top quality ones as snow chains. Reusable every winter or all year round etc......

Snow chains will be too much on our roads. You will need to take them on and off all the time and can only do 10-12mph max.

If you are talking about chains, the TOP speed is listed as 12mph, and even that can damage some cars, depending on the wheel arch clearance.

If you Google < snow chains max speed > you'll find many references to 30mph/50kph being the top speed. For example "The German Federal Motor Vehicle Agency regulation is a maximum 50 km/h, which will certainly seem fast if you are driving on roads where snow chains need to be used. " and this link: "The maximum recommended speed for driving with most traction aids is 30 mph (50 kph). Higher speeds than this could lead to product failure which may result in damage or loss of control of your vehicle.". The only reference I found there in a quick search at Google when adding your username was a posting by you here!

I read it off the side of the packaging displayed on a website that sells chains AND auto socks, and that was 6-7 years ago. If I remembered incorrectly I apologise.

I still maintain that chains are almost useless for 99% of the UK population 99% of the time, the snow is not deep enough or packed enough to make use of them unless you are out in the wilderness on roads that are left untreated all winter; carrying them around takes up a lot of space and can make quite a racket, and fitting them is a chore.

Autosocks fold into a neat package that can go under the seat, they take a minute to fit and you dont have to fit smaller wheels in the winter, or worry about them chewing up your flashy alloys..

Can't be bothered doing a search, so quite simply, will winter tyres fit straight onto my spare standard vRS wheels I have festering away in the garage?

Yes they will - just fit the standard tyre size (205/45/16) :thumbup:

Really <cough> warming to these snow socks. They look absolutely crap and gripless tbh, but watching that You Tube clip is gradually winning me over.

I really like the ease and convienece of them...seemingly.

Despite a search for 30 seconds, I couldn't find a review anywhere in here on them, unless someone knows differently of course?

Which ones to go for is the question?

Even available ion Amazon btw.

Tar very mich. :thumbup:

Meanwhile. Never heard of these snow sock things, but they look like a great alternative.

Is this them I presume? http://www.rockshore...-grip-269-p.asp

£50 sounds reasonably reasonable too.

Havent come across them before, the ones I have are "Auto-Socks" I bought via the "Roofbox Company" website; they cost a bit more than £50, but then I had a large MPV with an awkward and unusual tyre size.

I have used them few times each year since 2004; whenever we get more than an inch of snow on the ground here!!

The comment about "ripped to shreds" is inaccurate; they do wear out quickly on cleared roads, but not THAT quickly.

I have used them on frozen slush, 2" of packed snow on a main road, and 14" of fresh snow on untreated (hilly) side roads.

I havent needed them much for ice yet, only a really slippery carpark. (I was the only car that managed to get out).

I have a mate who makes snow socks out of hessian sacking, cost peanuts and doesn't matter if they get destroyed when you're off the slippy stuff. i witnessed him barrel up a track in a mondeo estate that was said to be impassable.

I've just fitted me a set of Avon ice tourers £47 quid a piece from camskills for 195's. They are absolute quality and transform my car. couldn't give em a big enough recommendation.

drive safe now! :)

I have a mate who makes snow socks out of hessian sacking, cost peanuts and doesn't matter if they get destroyed when you're off the slippy stuff. i witnessed him barrel up a track in a mondeo estate that was said to be impassable.

I've just fitted me a set of Avon ice tourers £47 quid a piece from camskills for 195's. They are absolute quality and transform my car. couldn't give em a big enough recommendation.

drive safe now! :)

ill just get the bus if its that bad ! :rofl:

ill just get the bus if its that bad ! :rofl:

:D

i do woodhead or snake pass over the peaks to sheffield from manchester everyday, light snow on the tops yesterday at 6am. i'd put a bit of money on it not being too good again this year.... i'd like to lose that money though. last year was a right ball ache!

Edited by wdf76