TDI cleaning

mbames

Well I am pleased to report that I have got my turbo off. Well it is still attached to the manifold. However the inlet manifold came off ok, as did the exhaust from the block. The only hard bit was the pipe between the "pancake" pipe from the intercooler to the actual turbo. It was impossible to get to the clip due to the drive shaft being in the way, so I split the pipe on a joint at the end of the pancake section, and lifted the exhaust manifold, turbo and pipe out in one go.

Tomorrow I get the fun job of trying to crack it open and clean up the mechanism.... I can't move the control arm which the vacuum rod attaches to in the slightest by hand. Have taken a few pictures, will try and get them online a bit later. But in the mean time I am off to Wells carnival.

Thanks all for the guidance so far :thumbup:

Pictures: http://www.matthewames.co.uk/briskoda/index.php?loc=./20101112_turbo_clean

Edited by mbames

Some picture of the inlet manifold would be good. I'm planning on taking it and the EGR valve off for a bit of a clean.

Inlet manifold picture - does not look too bad, but I'll give it a clean before putting back on. P1000477.JPG

My previous EGR pictures can be found here and here.

I also have a bit of washing machine waste water pipe so I will do a pikey elephant mod too.

Edited by mbames

All back together, and running. When I got the turbo off, I could hardly move the vacuum arm at all. Once apart and cleaned up it worked great!

I can hear my turbo from 1k now, which I could never do before. It pulls smoothly all the way up to the red line. It have *never* been like this before. The job was a bit of a pig at times - those horrible clips VAG use on the turbo pipework.... grr. If I have to take it off again, I shall invest in to jubilee clips. Also gaining access to the bolts for the oil return pipe are difficult to get at due to the drive shaft being in the way.

A couple of the studs came out of the back end of the exhaust manifold, but they are now lock-tight'ed back in. The turbo came apart quite easily.

Started on Friday, and finished my lunchtime today, although I wasn't 100% on the job! I have some more pics, will upload in a bit.

However to answer the question "was it worth doing?", it would be "most definitely". Might keep the old girl for another 175k now :yes:

All back together, and running. When I got the turbo off, I could hardly move the vacuum arm at all. Once apart and cleaned up it worked great!

I can hear my turbo from 1k now, which I could never do before. It pulls smoothly all the way up to the red line. It have *never* been like this before. The job was a bit of a pig at times - those horrible clips VAG use on the turbo pipework.... grr. If I have to take it off again, I shall invest in to jubilee clips. Also gaining access to the bolts for the oil return pipe are difficult to get at due to the drive shaft being in the way.

A couple of the studs came out of the back end of the exhaust manifold, but they are now lock-tight'ed back in. The turbo came apart quite easily.

Started on Friday, and finished my lunchtime today, although I wasn't 100% on the job! I have some more pics, will upload in a bit.

However to answer the question "was it worth doing?", it would be "most definitely". Might keep the old girl for another 175k now :yes:

Sounds like a success story! Was there some faff with making sure the turbo was full of oil again before refitting? Oh, and you need to remove the 'sticky vanes' from your spec sheet. B)

Edited by yashicamat

Sounds like a success story! Was there some faff with making sure the turbo was full of oil again before refitting? Oh, and you need to remove the 'sticky vanes' from your spec sheet. B)

Spec sheet updated: removed my sticky vanes and added my elephant :rofl:

For filling the turbo with oil, I just used a syringe and pumped some oil into it. When I first started the car, I only let it run for a few seconds before stopping it. I then checked both ends of the oil feed pipe for leaks, and also the return pipe. All seemed good so I fired it up and let it run for a few mins before heading off down the road.

*fingers crossed* it is all good tomorrow for the drive to work. If so, I'll clear my fault codes and hope the overboast does not return. I might be able to start overtaking with confidence again. Recently it has "limped" on virtually every overtake I have tried (especially those with involving uphill sections of road) - for some I have been able to complete (in limp mode) and others I have had to abort and pull back in :doh:

well done mate glad you got it done ok. it will be like a different car now

Thanks for the offer of guidance Jim, fortunately most things went pretty well.... apart from when my assistant put the exhaust manifold gasket on the wrong way around and I did not notice until quite a few bolts had been done up :'(

Oh and cheers for the inlet manifold photo. At least you can see where the bolts are which will be useful when I come to remove it.

6mm allen key, iirc (maybe be 5mm, but I don't think so), but I recommend getting some on a socket drive, it makes life so much easier. I have a set of Halfords Pro ones - excellent, well worth the money (from someone who hates spending money :giggle:) . To get at the end inlet manifold bolt (passenger side) you will need to undo the oil feeder pipe support bracket which is secured to the exhaust manifold. The three studs in the exhaust manifold all parted company with the manifold when I came to take them out.

There is a link to a guide on the mivs forum on here somewhere.

Definately should be a 'sticky'. Would like to know the best way to tackle the job like what tools are required, do you remove the turbo plus exhaust manifold from the top or the bottom, plus any other potential headaches (i.e. snapped/sheared studs etc).

Dan

I would also love a guide on this, I'm nearing 120k and would really like to have a bash at giving everything a good clear out but lack the confidence to do so at the moment. Hopefully a step by step guide could give me the push I need!

I'll try and get the basics of it done soon. Will have to do it from memory, so might need updating as people do try it and find I have forgotten something like "remove heatshield".