1.2 TSI DSG Review

Fabia00

Thought it was about time that I put a small review of the 1.2 TSI DSG up. Have had the car for about a month now and on the whole it is very impressive.

Good points:

- Ride seems very smooth even though it has 16" wheels even speed bumps and poor roads don't seen to upset the car very much

- Sound proofing seems dramatically improved over pre-facelift model, the doors shut with a much more solid thunk, road noise seems slightly lower and wind noise is not quite as intrusive

- Climate control is very effective and seems to be a set and forget system, have it running on 22 degrees as per the manual and it seems to be the best setting, keeps a nice even temperature without blasting out air at highest fan speed which 20 degrees did.

- Heated seats are very effective but burn your bum if left on level 2 too long, good on a cold morning though

- Maxidot display has lots of information and is easy to read

- clock and temperature can be seen by passenger on radio display which is a nice touch

- engine is deceptively powerful - very quiet below 2000 rpm with a sporty growl as the revs rise or on quick acceleration

- DSG quick and smooth mostly with sport and manual modes good (except when i forget its in manual and wonder why im stuck in 2nd with revs rising :wonder:

- Seats very comfy

- DRL's look good and the cornering fogs is the most surprisingly useful extra I added really good on windy and narrow country lanes.

- Wheels look good i think and easy to clean than expected

Bad Points:

- don't know if its the engine or gearbox but setting off at slow speeds can be a bit frustrating as the car seems to ponder what to do and either sits there and waits a few seconds of flys off with wheel spin :no: , has given me a few interesting moments when ive seen a gap and try to go for it.

- fuel economy is ok about 40 - 43 mpg but had expected better, hoping it will improve have only done about 1800 miles

- has started to use a bit of oil about 200 ml in a few 100 miles hoping that it will not start using a lot.

- DSG can seem to hunt through gears a bit especially on hills or 30 mile limits where it will flick between 4th 5th 6 th and 7th often meaning I have to flick into manual mode.

- Headlights are ok but nothing special going to see if I can fit some upgraded bulbs when i tried the other day the holders seemed to be too tight to turn

- White paint gets dirty really quickly and shows every mark fortunately it looks really ace clean.

- One of the fog light units seems to be misting up and think the seal may be faulty on it.

- sometimes hear some knocking noises which I think could be the DSG box hoping its not but for the time being it all seems to be working

Other points:

- Just noticed today that the lower glove box light is on all the time so will have to take it back to be sorted only good news is when car is locked it turns the light off.

- Under the dash they have replaced the polystyrene sheets with a carpet/ foam style but I only seem to have one under passenger side of the dash but not the drives side don't know if this is right or if it is a missing piece of trim :S as the pre facelift has a panel on both sides.

- Have added dsg pedal covers, chrome light switch surround and some chrome tape round the cabin

- Have got a spare set of alloys same style as Fabia SE which I soon will be having winter tyres fitted too which will hopefully make bad weather a bit easier to drive in.

Photos:

10102010037.th.jpg

10102010042p.th.jpg

10102010035.th.jpg

10102010036.th.jpg

10102010038.th.jpg

10102010039.th.jpg

10102010040.th.jpg

10102010041.th.jpg

Thanks for the comments :) . Got the pedals from this site https://www.66-cruiser.com/product_info.php?products_id=111 worked out about £50 at the time because I couldn't find part numbers for vrs pedals. The brake pedal fits fine you just need to cut the rubber bung bit which sticks out cause it doesn't fit through the pedal properly and the accelerator pedal has to be pushed on firm by pulling the extra rubber around the sides again not an exact fit but knew the accelerator fitted as I have the same part on a manual fabia for past 3 years.

Only other point I forgot in review above is that the bluetooth voice control can be a bit hit and miss and the MDI USB wont shuffle folders only songs within an individual folder.

Great review :)

Bad Points:

..........had the same problem in the begining, after a few moths driving i think its not as bad or maybe its me getting used to the car.............

(- don't know if its

the engine or gearbox but setting off at slow speeds can be a bit frustrating as the car seems to ponder what to do and either sits there and waits a few seconds of flys off with wheel spin :no: , has given me a few interesting moments when ive seen a gap and try to go for it. )

.ive had the car since july and still can hear some knocking noises even up to day

(- sometimes hear some knocking noises which I think could be the DSG box hoping its not but for the time being it all seems to be working)

....how could you mesure that it uses oil??

(- has started to use a bit of oil about 200 ml in a few 100 miles hoping that it will not start using a lot).

The dealer told me that the first service(oil change etc.) is after 2 years is that correct?????

..........i have driven 2000 miles

Edited by john123

The engine feels more than quick enough especially in sport mode having said that coming from the 1.2 12v it feels a lot quicker anyway. Motorway and overtaking is not an issue at all the only thing is because its so quiet its easy to be going faster than intended when you look at the speedo :o.

Still have the knocking noise especially if it changes gear on a bump or slowing down. The oil use came a shock checked it one day and was at max mark 2 days later after about 100 miles and it had moved down to half way between min and max, new bottle of oil and it took 200 ml back to max mark. So keeping an eye on oil level every couple of days now. The first service is 10,000 miles or 1 year which ever is soonest, UK Fabia doesn't get the variable service as far as I know. Have purchased the three year service and maintenance plan for about £15 a month.

from what I've picked up reading on here the TSi's all use a fair bit of oil within the first few thousand of miles.

good review been thinking about gettin my dad a second hand one when they come onto the market