Snow Chains?

Just wondered what the opinion was for the snow chain accessories that skoda sell. Are they any good? Will they cope with the UK weather like we saw last year? I can't afford a set of winter wheels and tyres and I was about to buy some Thule CS 10 snow chains as a precaution before the weather really turns. Last year my Octy Estate DSG wouldn't make it up my hill towards home so it was parked at the bottom for a week and I walked home. Don't fancy that again! The main A roads are gritted but the back ones to home are not touched EVER! Thule tell me that although I ordered chains for the right size wheel 225/40 R18 they are car specific and won't fit on my new Super Superb Estate (?!) and they don't appear in their fit guide.

http://basilicon.ipapercms.dk/Thule/Snowchains/scfitguide2010/

Grateful for any useful feedback as ever

Edited by spaceaircon

Without fitting winter tyres snow socks is you only other option whilst on 18".

A set of autosocks will set you back £64.85, for 225/40 R18, and the the size would be AS645

Am contemplating the Thule K-Summit series......apparently they DO fit the 225/40 R18 as I believe the socks wear out pretty quick if they at all touch a treated tarmac surface.

Lest we forget that chains are illegal in the UK......

At £285 a set you are actually not too far away from Winter Tyres territory in terms of expense, which you can use all winter long, with and without snow for better braking and roadholding performance (trying not to sound like a broken record!).

If it really is as an emergency measure only, then surely Autosocks to get you going onto gritted roads and then removing them is the way to go. All still with £220 in your bank account to buy another 3 and a bit sets if you are unfortunate enough to trash them!

Niall

Edited by Niall

You make a sound valid point Niall.... Am glad I asked. Ordered the autosocks - an easier justification to H.i.D than the Thule or the winter set of wheels/tyres :giggle:

Edited by spaceaircon

It IS legal to drive with snow chains in the UK, but only actually on roads that have sufficient covering of snow that the chains will not damage the road surface. As most of the main roads are fairly clear, it would be illegal to drive on them with chains.

Hi if fitting winter tyres

could you get away with just fitting them to front wheels ?

Andy

Having read a lot of discussion over the last week or so the concensus is that not having winter tyres on all four wheels is a bad idea. This is on the basis that one pair of wheels on one axle will have better/different grip than the other pair of wheels on the other axle.

Best regards

David

You might 'get away' with it, but the front tyres will grip considerably better than the rear all season tyres in the snow and icy roads, which may lead to the car 'swapping ends', this is the reason why it is not recommended.

Where I live winter tyres are more or less compulsory (i.e. if you have a bump in the winter you risk the insurance not paying out...).

But the expense is not a great as you think. Unlke socks or chains they stop your main tyres from wearing out at all during the winter! So over 2-3 years, the tyres have no extra cost, and if you stick them on steel wheels you can also drop the expense (its dark in winter so no-one can see the wheels anyway!).

and of course you can drop the rime size and up the profile (clearance from suspension) so you can fit good but generic chains if you really need them as well.

Lest we forget that chains are illegal in the UK......

At £285 a set you are actually not too far away from Winter Tyres territory in terms of expense, which you can use all winter long, with and without snow for better braking and roadholding performance (trying not to sound like a broken record!).

If it really is as an emergency measure only, then surely Autosocks to get you going onto gritted roads and then removing them is the way to go. All still with £220 in your bank account to buy another 3 and a bit sets if you are unfortunate enough to trash them!

Niall

Remember that carrying snow chains is a legal requirement in the mountainous regions of Europe during the winter and you may be instructed to put them on. They must be worn when you see the appropriate sign. Autosocks do not meet this requirement. I cannot answer what the insurance situation is if you do not have them on, but it worries me a bit. There are some answers to these questions at http://www.snowchains.co.uk/main/qanda.html.

I am a bit nerveous of the super slim chains since I snapped one last winter so I am looking at the expense of buying the Klack and Go ones, but have no real experience of them. Has anyone?

The UK is like the rest of Europe you should not use snow chains unless there is an adequate covering of snow

John

• 4 weeks later...

Remember that carrying snow chains is a legal requirement in the mountainous regions of Europe during the winter and you may be instructed to put them on. They must be worn when you see the appropriate sign. Autosocks do not meet this requirement. I cannot answer what the insurance situation is if you do not have them on, but it worries me a bit. There are some answers to these questions at http://www.snowchains.co.uk/main/qanda.html.

I am a bit nerveous of the super slim chains since I snapped one last winter so I am looking at the expense of buying the Klack and Go ones, but have no real experience of them. Has anyone?

The UK is like the rest of Europe you should not use snow chains unless there is an adequate covering of snow

John

Just bought a pair of Thule K-Summit chains. they fit perfectly and take less than a minute to put on.

John

• 1 month later...

I have never used snow chains, but as someone mentioned before I have a pair as it is a legal requirement in my country also. I strongly believe after 21 years of driving experience that a good quality winter tire set (all 4 wheels) is enough to face 90% of the winter roads challenges.