Octavia TDI outside temperature sensor location

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me where the Outside Temperature Sensor is located.

I have a fault on the radio wher it says the temperature is constantly -50..... Hmmm think there might be a fault there.

Thanks is advance

Hi all,

I have a fault on the radio wher it says the temperature is constantly -50..... Hmmm think there might be a fault there.

Thanks is advance

Looking out of my window (in NorthEast) the sensor might be correct :rofl:

Hi all,

Thanks is advance

In the space behind the front bumper I believe. My sensor came off its mounting and worked its way under the engine on the undertray. Lovely and warm, it ensured the tempreature indication was tropical, even in mid-winter!

If you stand in front of your car, it is located in the lower grill on the right.

You can see the hole in the milotec airduct on the right on my picture.

If you stand in front of your car, it is located in the lower grill on the right.

You can see the hole in the milotec airduct on the right on my picture.

Fantastic, thanks guys i will have a look for it this evening :D

Fantastic, thanks guys i will have a look for it this evening emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

OK i had a look for the sensor in the lower right hand section of the bumper/grill and nothing, when i took the panel off all could see was the horn.

Does anyone have any other suguestions where it may be.

Is it possible it takes the outside temp reading off the air intake sensor if so where in gods name did skoda put that.

Cheers all

OK i had a look for the sensor in the lower right hand section of the bumper/grill and nothing, when i took the panel off all could see was the horn.

Does anyone have any other suguestions where it may be.

Is it possible it takes the outside temp reading off the air intake sensor if so where in gods name did skoda put that.

Cheers all

Having looked for this outside temperature sensor i cannot find it anywhere. I have started to think maybe my car does not come with one. Is it possible that the Skoda Octave II 1.9tdi Classic does not have it as standard?

Anyone else out there without this feature on there car?

• 3 weeks later...

Would also be interested in this, as my classic spec shows up --.- degrees C

I had a similar problem on my Ambient earlier this year. The display was the same --.- with AC not working, I dont know if the classic has AC?.

I had 3 fault codes:

00779 Outside Air Temp Sensor G17 Sporadic 010- Open or short to plus

01317 Control Module Instrument Cluster (J285) Sporadic 013 Check

18062 DTC Memory of Instrument Cluster.

I eventually found that a wire had been bitten through under the battery plastics going to the outside temperature sensor. Once this was fixed the temp reading and AC worked with no problems.

Outside Temp sensor on the Ambient is next to the where the fog light should be, lower near side. It looks different to the VRS bumper you should not need to remove any plastic to see it. I can post a pic in the morning if that helps? If its the same on yours a new sensor was £17 from a skoda dealer.

Matt

I had a similar problem on my Ambient earlier this year. The display was the same --.- with AC not working, I dont know if the classic has AC?.

I had 3 fault codes:

00779 Outside Air Temp Sensor G17 Sporadic 010- Open or short to plus

01317 Control Module Instrument Cluster (J285) Sporadic 013 Check

18062 DTC Memory of Instrument Cluster.

I eventually found that a wire had been bitten through under the battery plastics going to the outside temperature sensor. Once this was fixed the temp reading and AC worked with no problems.

Outside Temp sensor on the Ambient is next to the where the fog light should be, lower near side. It looks different to the VRS bumper you should not need to remove any plastic to see it. I can post a pic in the morning if that helps? If its the same on yours a new sensor was £17 from a skoda dealer.

Matt

My classic spec, doesn't have aircon sadly. Being black it doesn't half absorb some heat in the summer!

I cant say i noticed any chewed or trapped wires when i removed the battery to replace the upper gearbox mount the other week.

Neither do i get any fault code for the outside temperature sensor.

Once i know where the said sensor is, i will trace the wiring back.

Providing the sensor is there, maybe a job for Shark Performance if it isn't :)

A picture would be greatly appreciated though, kind Sir!

Many Thanks

Browny

Edited by Browny_37

As promised, had to take the photos on my phone so couldn't rotate them.

post-46828-12931853004837_thumb.jpg

You should be able to see the sensor through a small black hole in the plastic if you have one

post-46828-12931850743323_thumb.jpg

I removed the plastic so you can see the sensor in its mounting, you can also see the connecting wire

post-46828-12931850516912_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps

Matt

Your faults are different to mine, on the radio mine will say -50 oC. I have since found out that the classic model is not fitted with an outside temperature sensor (or AC for that matter). This also explains why it does not come up as a fault code. I only want to mention this so other people who had my problem need not worry.

All your help is really appreciated and i hope i can be of assistance to other users in the future.

• 5 months later...

Hey folks, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but recently my temperature also started to just read --.- C so I went to look for the sensor and it looks like it may have come off or something. I think I was looking in the right place: here's a couple of photos I just took:

01062011396.jpg

01062011395.jpg

Is that the cable for the sensor that's just hanging loose there? Should the sensor itself be screwed into that empty screw hole?

• 3 years later...

Hi, after the outside temp sensor in my fabia 04 recording -45 or the past year or so, I thought I'd finally get around to doing something about it, as the local garage won't Also, the engine light frequently comes on,and I think they put it down to a leak of sorts... didn't do anything about it but turned off the warning... only for it to come back a few days later.

During the recent hot spell, the air con wasn't working... damn, I thought it was okay - but the engine warning light had been on for a few days (or a week)... got to the point where I just ignore it now. I filled up the car with petrol, switched on, no warning light... I thought I'd give the air con another go... coooollllllldddd air!!! :-) I was happy! 

So is there a leak in the air con system causing this engine light? 

and is the outside temp sensor also related to this air con?

How do I remove the outdoor temp sensor from its housing? - screwdriver and twist or something?

As I understand it the the ac won't kick in at outside temps below 4 degrees so if your temp sensor is registering -45 then this would account for the non working AC. Also the ECU will I guess run a map to accommodate the ambient temp of -45 which will probably confuse the hell out of it and cause the eml.

so if I replace the outside temp sensor, and seal it as above, then it may be problem solved?

However, yesterday the car was registering -45, no engine warning light, yet air con was working... 

I'd switch to another skoda garage, but this is convenient for me, otherwise its an out of the way trip to another skoda garage. The previous garage (shut down) scratched my car - didn't take the blame, got glue over the mirror switch cover - didn't take the blame (I replaced it myself)... the manager and a technician have moved to the new dealer in Bolton, and are still as useless at reassembling things after they've attacked your car - plastic facias not put back correctly... like they tear them off and break contacts.

Got myself a replacement temp sensor via ebay "VW" outlet... replaced the sensor... same -45C temperature showing. If no sensor is plugged in, it registers as -.--

Swapped the old and new a few times, still -45.

Even had the fog light out to check wiring.

Considering the hot weather we've been having, I haven't blown an air dryer over it.

• 4 years later...

Hi guys

I have the same problem, the temperature was showing zero since i had the car. However, of a sudden it started flashing minus 50C, then minus 45C. 

The values go up and down abit but way off the mark. 

The air con appears to be working. 

Should i try changing the sensor or leave it, its taken to keep beeping now and flashing minus 45 etc. 

IMG_20190106_151522.jpg