Family car time

First post in this section

Currently own a 54 Fabia VRS and its too small for our family. We only have a little boy at the moment but his buggy only fits in if I take the parcel shelf out. My wife has a Jazz and its fits in there flat and with her fancy seats she has soo much more space. I love the car, perfect for just me as I get 50+mpg but I want a family car for the long term.

I have my heart set on the elegance model, 2006/2007 model with a 1.9 engine. I heard the 1.9 is more reliable that the 2 litre and I plan on chipping it so won't be much difference.

My question is, what should I look for when going second hand

Hopefully want to go and view this

Water, water everywhere!

I have a 1.9 TDI and the only problems I've had are the well documented issues around leaking doors and rear washers failing. Aside from that the car's fine and averaging 54mpg. I would say the engine is noisy at idle but I'm loving it. Recomended. :rofl:

As for the one you are looking at; the mileage is very close to the cambelt service interval (120,000km) of 74,000 miles. I would factor that in to the negotiations. Maybe 300 quid.

There is one picture of the back seats which seem to have water stains - might just be the wet nature of the car which has no rain gutters, but I would insist on a valet.

Good luck on the search and let me7us know how the mapping goes. I am thinking I will have it done once the warrenty is up.

ah, the usual water issue. I had to sort mine on the fabia so I don't mind that. Also the washer problem I have also had on the Fabia :lol:

Yea I must admit I noticed the stain also. Good shout on the cambelt, having only done mine last year I would rather not have to do another so soon after buying the thing

Not sure how quickly I will be able to get it chipped as the wife says she has the money earmarked for something else :dull:

Considering your current car could you not stretch to the PD VRS instead. I have just traded mine in for the CR but had pretty much 4 years of trouble free motoring in it. The performance of it would also be more akin to your current car hence you would not feel the need to remap from the start.

Common problems on the 1.9 pd engine are the dual mass flywheel and turbos,check for any bad vibrations and rattles when pressing the clutch to check for flywheel damage and turbo wise see that good quality oil has been used and has been changed regularly,other than that these cars are bullet proof,I've had my hatch for a year and a half now,only - for me is the terrible diesel knock especially at idle,engine noise is too agricultural but it has loads and loads of + points,can't imagine parting with mine for anything else ....

Don't think we could stretch to a VRS unfortunately. Looking on autotrader they are a few grand more and have more miles. Also trying to keep costs down so £50 a tyre for 16s should be cheaper than 17s and then there is the insurance. To be honest I will have to drive it standard to start with so I will see how it goes. I just need to be able to overtake safely and I will be happy. I came from a 200bhp type R to the VRS so hopefully it won't be too much of a drop

I am looking forward to having a nice big car for the long journey up north to see my family and the comfort that goes with it. Also love the dual climate control and cruise :)

Also hopefully changing the stereo isn't too difficult as I have a BT alpine one to go in. Will have a search for that now

Elegance spec' estate...the only way to fly!

Interesting references to 'sports seats', 'extended interior light pack' and 'black aluminium interior styling pack' - whatever they are. From the photo's it looks like a standard Elegance interior which actually is a pretty nice place to be.

Not too sure about all the mentions of water leaks - my car is as dry as a bone. The only water based, er, annoyance (which is really just a design issue) is that opening the back doors in or after rain dumps water that runs off the roof onto the back seats.

Just seen a 2.0 for sale up the road from work on an 05 plate for nearly £8000. It has 67,000 miles but still it seems a bit steep. What car reckons £6,100

Also I read before the PD140 engines are more susceptible to issues????

Might have a drive past and have a look and maybe have a test drive, afterall I am in no hurry. Could be interesting to see what sort of trade in I would get though. I guess if I only had to pay £2500 on top of my 54 plate Fabia then that would be ok but thats like asking for £1500 more than what car reckons on trade in. Might be worth a look anyway

Just come back from the test drive, nice car. Doesn’t feel big and its lovely and comfortable. Got chatting with the sales guy and said that I only have £3000 to spend, but he said that probably wasn’t enough but would ask. Came back with £3600 for mine and £4000 cash for the car on at £7,990. Car looked nice, small dent on the bonnet and a chunk out of the trim at the front on the near side just under the light. That light had fragments of light in it, but looked ok!!! Oh and they have just replaced the turbo so that made me wonder

Going to call another company and speak to them as they have a similar priced but 12,000 miles less

What do you guys think?

The great thing about the Octavia is it doesn't feel big like you said but after a few weeks in it then going back to the fabia its massive!

Not sure of the mileage on yours but I was offered £3500 last december on my fabia (04 plate) with 94k on the clock so £3600 doesn't seem to far off the mark. Always remember there are plenty out there so if this does not feel right keep looking.

Sounds like you in the same position as me zeffania, had a CTR, then moved onto a Fabia VRS and just last weekend upgraded to an Octavia VRS due to family needs. I would agree with what has been said above, in that as long as the car has been looked after, no advisories on MOT's, clear HPI and got a full service history, it should be ok. Good luck with your car hunting.

Nick

Sounds like you in the same position as me zeffania, had a CTR, then moved onto a Fabia VRS and just last weekend upgraded to an Octavia VRS due to family needs. I would agree with what has been said above, in that as long as the car has been looked after, no advisories on MOT's, clear HPI and got a full service history, it should be ok. Good luck with your car hunting.

Nick

Thanks Nick

Have decided not to bother with the silver one in Reading as it's had a new turbo and what looks like a parking dink at the front with the damaged plastic trim (that they would replace) and the light with fragments of glass at the front. It doesnt look broken from the outside but I have my suspicions

Will keep looking. I know my car will go down in price, but I don't want to rush into it. Shame as I really enjoyed driving the Octy even if it wasn't for long :)