Windscreen washer problems

BigM

Hi All,

Lots of snow and ice but i forgot to add antifreeze to windscreen washer system. Despite the system now unfrozen the washer system is not working. Its difficult to diagnose the cause as it wont work when the bonnet is up or when the engine is not running. Is there a possibility of the pipes coming off or bursting? This often happened in my old golf. I also wanted to check the fuze but unsure which one it is? Checked the manual but its not clear. Could anybody point me in the right derection please?

Thanks,

BigM

Have you tried checking the fuse for it? I blew the fuse a couple of times on my zafira when it was frozen so it might be the issue?

Edited by Guin

It is just a guess, but most likely it's a frozen pump. It will not necessarily blow the fuse.

It will unfreeze some time in spring - unless you have a heated garage you can leave it in.

Just in case anyone takes this too literally...

NO NO NO, definitely NOT "antifreeze". Call it anything but that!

It is washer fluid or washer additive. Put it in at the correct strength and the washers won't freeze.

No one puts antifreeze in their washers.

tom

Just in case anyone takes this too literally...

NO NO NO, definitely NOT "antifreeze". Call it anything but that!

It is washer fluid or washer additive. Put it in at the correct strength and the washers won't freeze.

No one puts antifreeze in their washers.

tom

Very good point, Tom.

I made a mistake once and filled up from the wrong bottle. Engine antifreeze makes a holy mess of the windshield, but causes no damage. Fortunately this was in a Volvo with a small WW tank, not the 5.5 liter reservoir in the Yeti.

I would really like a car one day with an indicator in the dash telling me how full the washer bottle is. They always seem to run dry on a rainy or snowy night when you need them most. Mine did when driving through snow from Nottingham the other night. Grrr. And once the windscreen is besmudged with salt and mud you really NEED soapy water to clean it. My A2 did beep at me some time before it was bone dry mind, but have to admit I did not notice a warning in the Yeti. Or did I just miss it? Does it warn you of low washer fluid?

Erm,

Last winter I put Bluecol ANTIFREEZE in my washer bottle , watered down 50/50 cos i got no windscreen fluid, and you know what ....it worked.....nor did it strip the paintwork or do owt else detrimental that I have become aware of in the last twelvemonth.

just a thought.

I suspect the two products are very chemically similar, if not identical, just varying concentrations thereoff, plus perhaps some additives.

Cheers

M

Does it warn you of low washer fluid?

Yes it does - though it doesn't seem to inhibit wash-wipe and headlamp washers when it's running low, which is what the XF does to conserve what is left. The handbook also uses the term "antifreeze" - though I won't be trying it to see if it damages the polycarbonate headlamps!

Mark

Well after taking a picture of this I now know why it gets empty so quickly! Those headlight washers use a LOT of water:

5237094843_3d6b2ba65f_z.jpg

Well after taking a picture of this I now know why it gets empty so quickly! Those headlight washers use a LOT of water:

5237094843_3d6b2ba65f_z.jpg

Can they be turned off? I am never convinced that they will actually clean the lens with just a blast of water and it does empty the reservoir. I clean the lens myself each day at the moment so I don't need the lights washer to work.

Can they be turned off? I am never convinced that they will actually clean the lens with just a blast of water and it does empty the reservoir. I clean the lens myself each day at the moment so I don't need the lights washer to work.

Apparently taking out the relevant fuse is the only option as their presence and use is a legal requirement when you have Xenon lights. Even the slightest bit of dirt on a lens can distort a Xenon's light spread and cause discomfort to others. So take the fuse out and trust Mr Plod won't find out. Or at least put it back come MOT time as it will be an MOT failure should they not work.

It only happens every 5th? time you clean the windscreen. Most people do lots of short quirts during one clean, this will inevitably cause the headlamp washers to go too often. One long squirt at the screen will overall use a lot less water.

I would really like a car one day with an indicator in the dash telling me how full the washer bottle is. They always seem to run dry on a rainy or snowy night when you need them most. Mine did when driving through snow from Nottingham the other night. Grrr. And once the windscreen is besmudged with salt and mud you really NEED soapy water to clean it. My A2 did beep at me some time before it was bone dry mind, but have to admit I did not notice a warning in the Yeti. Or did I just miss it? Does it warn you of low washer fluid?

Mine does give an indication of low WW fluid.

There is a warning when washer levels drop low.

During the recent grotty weather, mine came on and the washer fluid still lasted another whole day of heavy use. I filled the reservoir up then, so don't know how much was left.

As I have HID lights the first and every fifth (?) windscreen wash also wash the headlights. Personally I would have prefered to have a button to allow me to control the headlight washing, but it's no great issue.

I've had to put nearly undiluted washer fluid in this last time, to avoid the reservoir turning into a block of ice!

My water reservoir froze, I garaged the car overnight, drained it and filled it back up with neat screen wash.

Next night, frozen solid again, including the pump (won't even spin), the pipes and the jets.

I've given up, I now carry a drinks bottle on the passenger seat and pull over every half hour!

03-12-2010.jpg

When my brother in law was in the Army in Germany he used to put vodka in his screenwash! It was available via the NAAFI at a suitable price though. :rofl:

Fred

My water reservoir froze, I garaged the car overnight, drained it and filled it back up with neat screen wash.

Next night, frozen solid again, including the pump (won't even spin), the pipes and the jets.

I've given up, I now carry a drinks bottle on the passenger seat and pull over every half hour!

03-12-2010.jpg

And yet it is apparenty illegal to drive off in a car where the washers do not work! (Together with all the windows clear and all snow removed from roof etc. I have had to buy a soft broom to get the snow off the roof as I can't reach it all even though 6ft tall, as the police were doing spot fines in Leeds area if the roof wasn't clear) Yesterday morning I had to scrape ice off the inside of the windows as well and it took about 5 miles before the washers started working.

I recall a trip to scotland a few years ago from Yorkshire. The washers worked fine until just north of carlisle, then froze on the move even with near neat additive at around -7, (relatively mild compared to now) they stayed frozen for two days until I passed carlisle again on the way back.

And yet it is apparenty illegal to drive off in a car where the washers do not work!

I was actually thinking about that on the way home tonight.

If after explaining what I'd already been through in an effort to defrost them to the Police I wonder if they would enforce the law and prevent me from continuing my journey...

Visibility is definitely reduced and it could be dangerous when pulling over to pour water on the screen...

You would think they would place the bottle near to a part of the engine that gets warm. That could then act like a little oven and defrost the liquid in winter. Of course it could also melt the plastic bottle if it was too close but I am sure that could be worked out. Close but not too close, just a thought.