Confidence in Scout TSI

I had severe reservations about what to replace my Jaguar XF (over rated) with a year ago. After a great deal of thought and research I bought my new Scout 1.8 TSI in January. I was initially less than impressed with the ride, but this improved hugely over a few months. Almost a year and 6000 miles on, the car has really grown on me. I like its unpretentious nature, comfort, silky performance and the fact that absolutely nothing has gone wrong in that time (as it should not with a new car).

My reservations have been replaced by total confidence. I have the confidence of not having to worry about a Diesel Particulate Filter or a Dual Mass Flywheel, confidence in its reliability (touch wood) and confidence when driving in the worst of weather conditions. I know that even with summer tyres fitted, driven with a basic level of skill and care, it will get me home safely. Having had BMWs, Mercedes and Jags, this is one hell of a good car.

I had severe reservations about what to replace my Jaguar XF (over rated) with a year ago. After a great deal of thought and research I bought my new Scout 1.8 TSI in January. I was initially less than impressed with the ride, but this improved hugely over a few months. Almost a year and 6000 miles on, the car has really grown on me. I like its unpretentious nature, comfort, silky performance and the fact that absolutely nothing has gone wrong in that time (as it should not with a new car).

My reservations have been replaced by total confidence. I have the confidence of not having to worry about a Diesel Particulate Filter or a Dual Mass Flywheel, confidence in its reliability (touch wood) and confidence when driving in the worst of weather conditions. I know that even with summer tyres fitted, driven with a basic level of skill and care, it will get me home safely. Having had BMWs, Mercedes and Jags, this is one hell of a good car.

I agree with you fully I have had 4 Xtrails prior to the 1.8tsi Scout, and it beats them hands down , can't fault it ,also drives like my Audi Quatro from years ago, smooth and sure footed with a very large boot.

My understanding is that Dual \Mass Flywheels are fitted to diesel cars to cope with the extra torque and smooth things out

DMF's are fitted to some petrol engined cars, including the engine on your car. They do, however, tend to be more reliable in this application since they have much more modest torque spikes to absorb than those fitted on Diesel engines.

And a Diesel Particulate Filter is nothing to worry about if the car is driven in the nature that makes diesel more economical. In the 7 month or 12,000 miles I've had my vRS I've never seen the DPF regen.