WEeight of Yeti without back seats?

SUV_fan

Does anyone have information what is aprox. weight of back seats in Yeti? I suppose it can be measured by taking them out and putting on scale :) Anyone have suggestion?

By the way, I ordered My GTI 4x4 (a.k.a. Yeti 1.8T). :)))) Full trim, only without panoramic sunroof, and few other smaller things. Storm blue color. Extra: steel wheels 4x, silver door mirror caps, and silver side plastics , rubber floor mats. :) Delivery 3 months. :)))

Can anyone give me info about my question- weight of back seats or at least aprox. weight(50kg, 100kg...)? Please. :):wall:

Based on the weight of the (similar) rear seats in my wife's Roomster that I have taken in/out a few times, much as I haven't actually weighed them, I'd say 20-23kg for each of the outer seats and 15-18kg for the middle seat.

Therefore if all three seats are out potentially a weight saving of around 65kg.

Thanks for information. :) I hope someone have checked this with his yeti:)

I will be doing so when I get mine later this month.

I do most of my driving without passengers so am considering taking my rear seats out to save weight and improve performance/economy. :thumbup:

Do you honestly believe that removing 50kg of seats is going to improve your fuel consumption?

The biggest improvements in fuel consumption are made by ensuring that your tyres are always at the correct pressure and learning to drive as if you've got eggs between your feet and the pedals. Do a "defensive driving" course, that will teach you.

I do not need better fuel consuption. Only to lower the weight to make it faster. :) For ex. you take c golf GTI, he has 6.9 s to 100kph time and in the same time 100 kg lighter than yeti, while on the other side Yeti 1.8T is 1505kg and 8.4s to 100kph. If we take 50 kg out of yeti, it is much more competitive against sport cars. :) and I would reaaallly like to see face of GTI driver after one race from traffic light to traffic light :)))) :D :strong: :devil:

I GIVE UP!!

No need to despair, Llanigraham, SUV_fan is clearly investigating the performance improvement possibilities by lightening the Yeti.

Yes, you're right about your driving economically strategy, but SUV_fan is definitely wise to take the rear seats out if they weigh over 40kg.

Goodness, that is a LOT of weight to lose just by taking the seats out!

His braking will be improved as there will be less weight to slow down...

I reckon the side and rear glass of the Yeti could be replaced by Plexiglass to save another 40kg...

Wheels could be replaced with reconditioned second hand forged one-piece 16" alloys to save another 10-20kg unsprung weight... eg, 1998 CLK320.

SUV_fan, please let us know how you get on!

No need to despair, Llanigraham, SUV_fan is clearly investigating the performance improvement possibilities by lightening the Yeti.

Yes, you're right about your driving economically strategy, but SUV_fan is definitely wise to take the rear seats out if they weigh over 40kg.

Goodness, that is a LOT of weight to lose just by taking the seats out!

His braking will be improved as there will be less weight to slow down...

I reckon the side and rear glass of the Yeti could be replaced by Plexiglass to save another 40kg...

Wheels could be replaced with reconditioned second hand forged one-piece 16" alloys to save another 10-20kg unsprung weight... eg, 1998 CLK320.

SUV_fan, please let us know how you get on!

. and how about ................ replace driver's seat with carbon/kevlar shell ... get rid of spare wheel (oop, done that already) . never refuel with more than 20L .... get rid of sound system/satnav, aircon, interior trim, .

... driver to go on a diet :rofl:

:D Oh that was good one. :D

If you take few cars that actually have this engine, 1.8T, you will see there is much difference between them , some of them are slower and some of them are faster. Engine is same, and only difference you can actually find is weight of the car and front or 4x4 drive train. This engine is installed in : Audi 3,4,5 ; seat Leon, Skoda Yeti,Superb, Octavia and many more. Take some time and see what is the difference between them. :) You can try to make fun of me, but in the end you will see that I was right. And I was pointing that I would not do this to drive it like that every day, just for show off sometime :D I dont know have you ever been on street race, I know I have and I know that most of those drivers lose back seats for weight reduction, as one of way of improving acceleration. When you take those 50kg off the yeti , you get much closer to GTIs weight, and that is my point, to make weight difference between those two. I love to race sometimes , at least from traffic light to traffic light, and this will make it more fun :)))

Also, people who have this engine, if they use 100 octane fuel, they will fill lot of difference. My friend drives Toyota Yaris, which does not have turbo even he fills lot of difference especially driving uphill and etc.

This engine, especially in Yeti combined with 4x4 system is brilliant , as Honest John sad , like a GTI which you can drive without any problem on snow, and even go on picnic with girlfriend/wife ;)

Edited by SUV_fan

... driver to go on a diet :rofl:

In the MotorSport Now magasine sent to licence holders a while back there was an article about exactly that, and they were able to prove that a slim lighter driver was actually quicker that a fatso, not only because they had less weight to carry around, but also because their reaction times were quicker.

So SUV Fan, forget taking the seats out, stop eating all the pies AND LOSE SOME WEIGHT!! :giggle:

Edit:

anyone remeber the long thread on another forum about the boy racer who thought that by lowering the backrest of the rear seats of his Corsa it made it quicker because it improved the aerodynamics!!

Edited by Llanigraham

:D Oh that was good one. :D

........... You can try to make fun of me, but in the end you will see that I was right.

I was trying to make a joke for everyone; not to make fun of you.

I'm thinking just like you. I have done some Kart racing with my son and know what effect even 1kg or 2kg extra weight will have.

As Yeti's seats are designed to be easily removed, that is what I may well do as most of the time I drive alone.

Also the Yeti's 4x4 is perfect for a 'Traffic Light Grand Prix'. I used to have an Octavia vRS and the limiting factor for acceleration was often traction. I temporarily have an Audi A5 with Quattro (4x4) and have yet to get wheelspin at all. :thumbup:

I am glad to hear that. 4x4 is best for traffic race :) and every other kind, for ex. golf GTI needs to have good balance chassis to go fast throw corners but Yeti has that and 4x4 to do that and I think it has some good chance in race , maybe not on drag race, but on track-- who knows ;)